I need some electrical help!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by kickin_81, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

After driving a bit spirited home tonight, I pulled into my driveway and let the turbo-timer run. I torqued my lugnuts, deflated my rear tires a bit, and checked my oil. I was going into the house and pressed my alarm. All I heard was a little chirp. Checked again, no response. And again, no response. Oh no! I get back into the car, put the key in, and try to turn the motor. No dashboard lights. Nothing.

The cd player, rear taillights, "key in ignition/door open" chime, the window wipers, and "door open" light are all working. Everything else (even my CEL) is not on. No headlights. No electricity to the motor. The vent isn't blowing either.

Is it a blown fuse? Why is half of my car not getting electricity? If anyone can chime in, I'd really appreciate it!

HELP! :(

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Fong,

I'd start with the fuse's and than check the relays, and dont forget to check your battery.

C

3. kickin_81

I've checked both fuse boxes. They looked fine and didn't look blown at all. The battery seems to work because half the car is still working. What are the relays? :???:

4. Musashi

Relay=black cube with 3 to 5 prong that plugs into a harness.

This almost sounds like a alarm issue, resetting your alarm, bypassing it.

5. kickin_81

Is this relay located under the steering wheel? What do I have to do to reset it? Why is the alarm involved? I'm a noob. :(

6. Musashi

Its just a though considering you cannot start your car (alarm, depending on what alarm you have and how its wired, some of them are designed to disable your car if it sense's low battery power, if this is the case try jumping your car, before you decide to go crazy and start cutting away wires.

There are many relays under your dash, in the hood. I'm new to Subaru's, but on my Acura I have other fuses inside the hood that can effect the car.

I guess the best thing to try is to start with the obvious stuff like get a volt meter and a light tester and start poking around. You should also check the wiring of your alarm, if its nothing broken and you may wanna keep an eye out for wires components that may have come undone. "SPRINTED HOME" :D

To reset your alarm, you can find where the main power wire or fuse is at and pull it off. As for the relay, try pulling them off if you see one that looks kinda messed up. They just plug right in, kinda like a power plug.

Hope that helps.

C

7. kickin_81

Thanks, Mr. C. I may have to print this out and read it. :p I don't have the time to work on it tomorrow. I have a test tomorrow after work. :( I'll try them out, Chong. If I end up in the hospital touching the battery and stuff, send me a card, ok? [xx(]

8. Musashi

If that happens, I'm going to delete my replies first and than I'll send you a card, saying "I TOLD U SO!" :D}:)

9. kickin_81

I searched and found another guy with the same problem. He had a main fuse go out, but it was broken at the bottom of the fuse and not the top. What I've checked on the main fuses was only the top, because in order for me to check the whole main fuse, I would have to take them out to verify them.

How can a normal person take out those 50-80amp fuses under the hood?

10. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Can't you use a fuse detector? Lights up if its good, dont light if its blown???

<font color="red">BTW Be careful!!!! I remenber someone was messing with their fuses and they ended up like "Val Venis" in the WWF. You Know Val's entrance to the ring, when he starts to snap his fingers.....</font id="red">

11. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Check your alarm. This is one of the reasons that turbo timers are a waste. At first pass, this appears to be a starter kill feature of an alarm. Depending on how it's wired, it may be cutting out your accessory power, hence nothin that comes on with the ignition works. My $0.02 anyway.

12. kickin_81

The main fuses are those that are encased in a plastic window and are big. There's an 80 amp fuse that has two screws drilled beside it to keep it down (I think). I'll try pulling them out.

Thanks for the advice, Chin. That may have been the cause of the fuse blowing (if it did blow out). Maybe the spirited drive I had caused the wires for the alarm/turbo-timer to touch a positive line. I'll be checking the main fuses first.

I hope I end up ok. :I

13. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

maybe already covered but did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it?

14. kickin_81

I'll try anything! }:)

15. kickin_81

Alright, this is the second time my car is at Todd's shop. }:):mad: Wish it luck!

...and Todd, please go easy on the bill.

16. Musashi

I think your: Used Cusco front strut tower bar and 17" Gold Rota Actions with 225/45-17 Azenis Sports tires would look very nice on his car! ;) just a thought, incase you dont have enough green! :D

17. kickin_81

Tell me I used to own a Honda one more time, and you'll be sorry! ...it was a Buick! After Todd gets my car back on the road (with me as the driver of course), you'll be sorry you said that. }:)

I already have a buyer for the wheels. I'm just waiting on the payment. :D That money will go right into Todd's pocket. [xx(]

18. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

Tell me I used to own a Honda one more time, and you'll be sorry! ...it was a Buick! After Todd gets my car back on the road (with me as the driver of course), you'll be sorry you said that. }:)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fong's got a Honda badge on his Buick, Fong's got a Honda badge on his Buick... that explains why he's running into electrical problem... I think it was because he was swaping some Honda stuff into his Subie :p per Bright Blue and Altezza rear lights etc. J/K

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I use to have a Honda too... it's call an Acura Legend :D Ask Chong, he's seen me sporting my Acura ride before.

Fong, didn't I tell you, you have to beat my Drift Tri-cycle and then my Hot Wheel Enzo before you can step up to the next level :p

Ok, let's settle this GT3A style, since I know you won't front me the gas money LOL.

Fong, no seriously bro... if you want to run, let's run at the Audi National coming up by the end of June or July... It's posted on the board here... let's register up and we'll duke it out on the track.

I'm sure you'll chew me up all over the track ;) It's the only way they'll get us on tape and put the proof on here so we can all sit and laugh about it :D

19. kickin_81

Sorry, my Yin-Yang is about empty. :p

I've been eyeing the Audi National, but I have no clue of how to sign up or the strings attached. I'll have to ask about it on a Firestone meet. Then I'll show you what a REAL car can do; but you'll have to put your All-Season Contisport tires back on first. :)

20. yosmiley

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81
    I've been eyeing the Audi National, but I have no clue of how to sign up or the strings attached. I'll have to ask about it on a Firestone meet. Then I'll show you what a REAL car can do; but you'll have to put your All-Season Contisport tires back on first. :)

Well, a real car would have an engine, 4 wheels, brakes, axels, rotors, etc... last I checked there's a million if not a billion of these roaming the USA.

On a serious note... it's $345. for the Audi National event. Let's do it, I know I am... are you?

Between you and I... may the faster driver win... and the smack talk will come afterward LOL.

Matt, you don't count!

21. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

I gotta see this!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

22. kickin_81

It's just sick right now, so don't be talkin' yet. }:) :D Besides, I'm a newbie when it comes to speed. :I

23. yosmiley

It's just sick right now, so don't be talkin' yet. }:) :D Besides, I'm a newbie when it comes to speed. :I

Come on now, don't be scared... I know I am ;) Newbie is my name, don't wear it out.

24. kickin_81

The sleeping beast awake again! It's up, but it has the runs. It'll be taken back in late next week for some Peptol Bismol. :I

25. yosmiley

The sleeping beast awake again! It's up, but it has the runs. It'll be taken back in late next week for some Peptol Bismol. :I

What's the news on your car?

26. kickin_81

It's coming home tonight, but the camshaft seals and other gaskets are bad and will be replaced with genuine Subaru seals. It's on special order with Morries of BC, so the car hasn't seen the last of Todd just yet.

27. kickin_81

The total cost including the towing, parts, inspection and labor was $745.:eek::eek::eek: ****.

I have more bad news on the car. Something went wrong a day after and now I have no more coolant in the car. :(! I was stuck in rush hour for a while overheated!!! }:)

28. yosmiley

Fong, sorry to hear about your car... why so much problem with it lately?

Too much fun with it eh?

29. kickin_81

Long story short, the coolant leak could've been prevented. :(!

30. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

I dont think this is the 1st time you had prob. with your coolant right?

31. kickin_81

The first time, the coolant (from California) froze in the radiator and leaked at the defective cap. This time, it was from a line. I replaced the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.