Ice Racing

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Grimm, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Hey looky here for some ice racing. There is a few MTU guys in this. This is an ivintational only. You need to ask for locations. I will post an E-mail later as to where it is, but you still need to talk to these people.

http://icerace.shocauto.com/

Corrdinator.
    [email protected]

Here's the official ice race email I sent out. Feel free to distribute this as is.

Soren

> -----Original Message-----
    > From: Barr, Soren
    > Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 4:58 PM
    > Subject: Ice Race 2005
    >
    > I just wanted to send out a quick note about the 2005 Big Sturgeon Ice
    > Invitational. Please consider this your invitation.
    >
    > This year's race will be held on January 8th, 2005. Open racing begins
    > at noon and will continue until dark.
    >
    > The morning is reserved for the race of champions, which will
    > basically be all of the past winners and runner ups. The morning would
    > be a good chance to see some amazingly fast cars, and perhaps learn a
    > little before setting out on the ice yourself.
    >
    > For those not familiar with the race, see the website
    > http://icerace.shocauto.com for pictures, video, rules, etc. You can
    > always email me, or the organizer C.O. Rudstrom at [email protected]
    > for more info, directions, where to stay, etc.
    >
    > See you on the ice!
    >
    > Soren
    > http://icerace.shocauto.com

2. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

I want to try ice racing. Let's go grimm

3. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

sweet, i might just see some of you there... not 100% if i'm going or not, but would be great fun!
    thanks for the info Grimm :cool:

4. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

Man thats a nice Sti on the front page of their website:):D

5. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RichWRX

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I know that's not Vic's because the front bumper is intact. LOL!

I want to go racing on a frozen lake. It'll be so much fun! I just don't like going through registration/inspection/fees.

6. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RichWRX

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Great looking car you have there Rich... is that roof scoop functional?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I know that's not Vic's because the front bumper is intact. LOL!

I want to go racing on a frozen lake. It'll be so much fun! I just don't like going through registration/inspection/fees.

Fong, excuses, excuses... what else are you going to say next?

7. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

If the fee is little I might do it.

8. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FuJi K

If the fee is little I might do it.

I don't know who's STI that was but I think it was OC's. It also needed a few new pannels if I am not mixing it up with another. It could have been the Evo.... Soren says it should be there this year too. We are droping a 4.8L V8 into a bronco this weekend for the ice race :p. If we get it turbo'ed too I am guessing a clean easy 500hp.

FuJi - As far as I know there is no fee. No prizes either :p. Maybe buy you a beer for wining. This is a "freindly" race. Just a bunch of guys getting together. The so called core group is MTU people. I haven't meet everyone going, other than a few of the tech people when we were in college together. At worse if you want to just come and watch it is all good. Just ask for where it is.

I love these tires
    http://icerace.shocauto.com/images/Andy-tires4.jpg

9. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Just an update. I don't think we are turboing it this weekend. That will be next.... We just want the trany and engine in and running. If anyone is intrested in checking out/ giving a hand droping the V8 in send me and E-mail and I will give you directions and stuff.

Updated letter

some
    email skimmers seemed to think ;)

Soren

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 11:29 AM
    Subject: icerace Jan 8th

Hello race fans,
    The Big Sturgeon Ice Invotational is schedualed for Saturday Jan 8th.
    Please check out the web site

http://icerace.shocauto.com

This will be our 8th year of racing, it is hard to believe that it has
    been that long and I still haven't won.
    Like always the race will be one vehicle at a time, racing against the
    clock on the plowed surface of a frozen lake. The snowbanks will be plowed way back and the course marked out with cones. I intened to make track in the same shape as normal, drag race type start, a couple of high speed sweepers, a couple oftight twisty corners, and the straight away finish. Like always you are welcome to race any kind of motorized vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle, gokart, snowmobile, bus, etc.

There will be one change from previous years, the "race of champions".
    Before lunch time the track will only be open to "serious" competetors, mostly winners and tee-shirt holders from earlier years. This will allow the more serious racers that have spent lots of time and money trying to be the fastest man on ice to get more race time. By making this change I am hoping to encourage more serious race machines. The afternoon session will still be open to anybody that wants to race their daily driver or whatever.

Drivers meeting at about 8:00 for the "race of champions", racing
    starts at 8:30, we will take a break for lunch around 12:30, short drivers meeting after lunch and then race until 5:00. After the racing and cleanup we will have the glamorous awards ceremony at Bimbos (pizza and beer). At Bimbos we will have all the official results and hand out the prize tee-shirts.

If you have any questions please contact me.
    C.O. Rudstrom
    [email protected]
    907-642-3150 before Dec 17th
    218-254-3845 after Dec 17th

10. kickin_81

I thought they charged like $60 or something last year... If it's free for people like me, I'm gonna sign up! :D

11. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

I thought they charged like $60 or something last year... If it's free for people like me, I'm gonna sign up! :D
    I never heard of a cost.... but maybe. I am just wrenching on Sorens entry and drinking :p. I am not driving either of my cars, but I will probably be taking a lot of pictures/vids.
    Give a shout out to C.O. and he will give all the information.

12. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

I just got my winter tires, let's go

13. yosmiley

I think Fong's talking about the Quattro event with the Audi club. Yup, with them guys, there's a fee... I don't know about this one mention though.

14. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

Its my Sti, and no the scoop is not functional yet, I have the vent but havnt got the guts to cut a hole in it yet. They dont charge anything for the race, and they provide free food and drink.

Rich

15. masube81

masube81 Well-Known Member

these are niceazz winter tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andy Bayley's Studded Tires :eek:...>:p

16. yosmiley

Wow, I gotta make myself a set of those.

17. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

This stuff looks awsome as hell. I would really like to attend. Is there any sort of suby group heading up that I could tag along with. Me and one of my good friends who drives a 1.8t really wanna do this after ready about the quattro events but if this is free why not, right?

18. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Its my Sti, and no the scoop is not functional yet, I have the vent but havnt got the guts to cut a hole in it yet. They dont charge anything for the race, and they provide free food and drink.

Rich
    Yeah it say's rich right next to the picture.... Don't know where my brain was... I blame work!

Everyone that wants to actualy race should get incontact with CO like the E-mails say. They need some kind of head count.

19. kickin_81

I emailed CO yesterday, and he didn't reply yet. Here is my email to him.

Hello! I am interested in attending the Ice racing on Jan. 8, 2004. I have a few questions I'd like answered when you have the opportunity. Thanks!

1. Is there a fee at all? (anything out of our pockets excluding food and bet money)
    2. Where is this lake going to be held at?
    3. Do all participants have to wait in line, or can they go way out on the other side of the lake and practice driving on the ice on their own?
    4. Do we bring our own food and girls?
    5. Restrooms open for us or do we have to find our own restroom?
    6. Is this event happening rain or shine?

Thanks, and sorry about the last question. You don't have to answer that.

I hope he replys soon.

20. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4. Do we bring our own food and girls? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

you know you didnt put girls in the email...=P

anyways this looks fun, too bad i won't have my own suby to play on the snow with but i'll be there to watch.

21. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Hello! I am interested in attending the Ice racing on Jan. 8, 2004. I have a few questions I'd like answered when you have the opportunity. Thanks!

1. Is there a fee at all? (anything out of our pockets excluding food and bet money)
    3. Do all participants have to wait in line, or can they go way out on the other side of the lake and practice driving on the ice on their own?

I hope he replys soon.

That is his standard address I belive and he is a working stiff... If you don't hear anything soon just tell me and I will make some calls. The answers to the best of my knowlege... I may also have Soren officaly post if needed using my account.

2.Big Sturgeon
    3.Before lunch time the track will only be open to "serious" competetors, mostly winners and tee-shirt holders from earlier years. This will allow the more serious racers that have spent lots of time and money trying to be the fastest man on ice to get more race time.
    4. glamorous awards ceremony at Bimbos (pizza and beer). I don't have a girl right now so if I find one I like I'm not sharing :p.
    5. I saw tree's in the picture, and there is probably something. It is a big lake.
    6. I would say yes.

22. yosmiley

Asking questions like Fong and comment like Lou, it'll get you two ban... heck, that explain why he didn't reply back to you LOL... j/p, you guys have the right to ask any dumb or good question :) Then again, no question is a dumb question right ;)

23. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

Then again, no question is a dumb question right ;)
    Wasn’t it there are no stupid questions just stupid people… :p
    J/K

24. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

Asking questions like Fong and comment like Lou, it'll get you two ban... heck, that explain why he didn't reply back to you LOL... j/p, you guys have the right to ask any dumb or good question :) Then again, any no question is a dumb question right ;)

Lue* :p

25. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Ok, I've hijacked Grimm's account to clarify a few things regarding the ice race.

Don't expect an instant reply from CO, the organizer, he lives in way north, rural Alaska at the moment (returning for the holidays and the ice race) and has limited access to email.

Also, please know that this event is a racing event. We are not looking for people who want to F*ck around on a lake, do that someplace else. Racing around the lake is strongly discouraged. You can make all the runs you want, only your fastest counts, so do it on the track. Also remember that the rest of the lake is not plowed, and that there are snowmobiliers and ice fishermen that use it.

There is a "rain date" that is really a thin ice date. It's in February, but hopefully it won't be needed. There was already 2" of ice at thanksgiving, however.

The event is an autocross / rallycross style event, you get in line and run when you are up, you can do this as many times as you want or can between ~12:30PM and 5:00PM, during open racing. The morning session is by invitation only. If you want an invitation to next years morning session, show up and run a serious race.

Lunch is free, racing is free. Do not bring anything that will not contribute the racing this could include your dog, your out-of-control kids, and will definately include alcohol.

There will be porta-potties.

Go to the website and read the rules. It's short, and outlines everything about the race. The awards ceremony is on your own cost wise, but it's Northern MN, so it's all cheap there.

It's about 4 hours from the Cities, north of Hibbing.

Soren

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Grimm

I hope he replys soon.

That is his standard address I belive and he is a working stiff... If you don't hear anything soon just tell me and I will make some calls. The answers to the best of my knowlege... I may also have Soren officaly post if needed using my account.

2.Big Sturgeon
    3.Before lunch time the track will only be open to "serious" competetors, mostly winners and tee-shirt holders from earlier years. This will allow the more serious racers that have spent lots of time and money trying to be the fastest man on ice to get more race time.
    4. glamorous awards ceremony at Bimbos (pizza and beer). I don't have a girl right now so if I find one I like I'm not sharing :p.
    5. I saw tree's in the picture, and there is probably something. It is a big lake.
    6. I would say yes.

26. Grimm

Grimm New Member

[​IMG]
    Rocken time was had. Wonderful above 0 weather. Lots o cars. A few injeries to cars. 2 WRX got broken. both of them the exact same problem. Rod bearings were spun..... Both of them now when you hit 3k rpm it sounds like the rods are knocking.... The last WRX wagon didn't use picked tires and it survived.... Still seems weird. Anyways I have a lot of pictures, unfortunatly most of them are too dark because I forgot to take of the polarizer, and as some of you know snow polarizes light..... So 2 polarizers = darkness. Anyways a few good ones. I will redo most of them later.

Death trap
    http://www.eagrimm.com/>MNSUBARU/icerace/238CANON/IMG_3881.JPG

The fastest 2 wheel drive vechical... which beat all the awd's...
    http://www.eagrimm.com/>MNSUBARU/icerace/240CANON/IMG_4009.JPG

27. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Intresting little E-mail from my freind (one of the WRX owners that went down)

I did talk with Jakes younger brother Silas and he says he has seen this problem a thousand times before and he is almost certain it is the cam tensioner. He says he has a few extra laying around and he can whip one of them in there in 15 minutes.

Russ, Matt, do you hear of the tensioner getting out of wack from spining the car? I don't think he was doing anything more than what I do with the car. The pick tires were not on yet even.

28. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Grimm

Russ, Matt, do you hear of the tensioner getting out of wack from spining the car? I don't think he was doing anything more than what I do with the car. The pick tires were not on yet even.

Never heard of that and you know I do lots of donuts. Sounds like oil starvation to me.

On a side note ask these guys what they are going to do with their old motors. I need some more parts.

M

29. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Never heard of that and you know I do lots of donuts. Sounds like oil starvation to me.

On a side note ask these guys what they are going to do with their old motors. I need some more parts.

M
    Well if it is just the tensioner I bet it will be runing on Saterday when he takes it to Silas, and even if that isn't realy the problem Silas can probably get it going again. If I hear that either one wants to dump it I will post of course.

30. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates Grimm, I was wondering how it went. I couldn't make the trip up over the weekend, but will definitely be at the quattro events and maybe even that rallyx-sytle event in Lindstrom. Maybe see some of you there?

Would appreciate any updates on the 2 WRX's, especially in the form of things to watch for as I'm playing on the lakes this winter - did either one hit a pile of snow? or were they just from spinning out? Strange that it happened without the pick tires, but then I'm not all that mechanically knowledgable (but i'm trying :))

31. Luther

Luther New Member

I am the owner of the second dead WRX at the ice race. It turns out both mine and Andy's cars threw rod bearings. The rod bearings fell apart and traveled throughout the engines and did some expensive damage. On mine the crank is bad and one of the cylinder walls is scored. My turbo is questionable. Andy's is shot. My engine had 27,000 miles with a gutted uppipe. No other mods. I have friend who is mechanic at a Subaru garage and these are the first two he has ever seen fail. Lucky me.

32. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Luther

I am the owner of the second dead WRX at the ice race. It turns out both mine and Andy's cars threw rod bearings. The rod bearings fell apart and traveled throughout the engines and did some expensive damage. On mine the crank is bad and one of the cylinder walls is scored. My turbo is questionable. Andy's is shot. My engine had 27,000 miles with a gutted uppipe. No other mods. I have friend who is mechanic at a Subaru garage and these are the first two he has ever seen fail. Lucky me.
    Quick blam andy. He is the only common thing between the 2 cars. :p

33. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

It's pretty far out, why that far man