Idle issues.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Credits, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Credits

Credits New Member

Car: 2002 Subaru WRX/5speed

Modifications: EJ257 swap with EJ205 heads, lightly ported TD04 turbo, DW 850cc injectors, STI intake mani, stock TMIC, stock fuel system, tgv delete, 17k miles on the motor.

Problem Description: P1507 cel.

Okay so, when I installed the new IACV, the old one had a plate blocking the IACV from getting any contact with the intake stream. (It's basically a IACV delete. The idle stays around 1.3k throwing a high idle code when stopped.) I removed it, put on the new gasket and the new IACV. Removing the negative battery terminal I proceeded to pump the brakes. I then put back on the negative terminal and started her up. She then starts up like a cold start, revving to 2k then slowly falling back down to 1500. She doesn't get back to 800 where the normal idle goes after warm. Instead she idles ~1300rpm. So putting her into reverse, I giver her some gas ~2k and slowly let the clutch engage. moving backwards I disengage the clutch and the idle stays at 2k. Two seconds later a CEL is thrown and idle quickly drops to ~1k. She idles like crap and sounds like she sounds like she's running on two cylinders. She's super sluggish when I drive her so I put the plate back on and shes back to her normal self; idling at 1300rpm which obviously throws the high idle code; but a little hesitant when I get on her at 1-3k rpm. If I drive normal shes okay. I'm stumped....

I'm thinking its a faulty neutral switch? I haven't checked the maf, but I'm thinking that's not the culprit because she idles fine with the IACV blocked just high. I don't know if I should live with it or get it fixed asap? It's not a "O MARH GAWRRRD FIXX NAO!!!" type of deal but annoying to say the least. Thanks guys!

Recent Modifications/Maintenance: Fresh oil change and new IACV arrived 2-28-12 and installed. Had to block the IACV from going into limp mode!

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

You can also adjust the throttle cable. Make sure its not too tight

3. Credits

Credits New Member

The cruise control and throttle linkages aren't sticky or tight when the motor is at operating temps. I read up on that and checked them but there was enough slack on them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Credits

Credits New Member

I'm going to borrow my friends reader and try to replicate it again. When the CEL pops back up Ill post more information. *Can't do it until Saturday or Sunday. If not then Ill go rent one* Ill keep you guys posted!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. easyfix

easyfix Guest

Advertisement removed by Readymix, and replaced by a delightful and relevant song, by an artist who also is unable to see these forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  6. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Man, this guy was busy yesterday

tangledupinblu likes this.