Install help needed for turbo back exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by gaitedgirl, Sep 1, 2004.

1. gaitedgirl

gaitedgirl Well-Known Member

I have finally received my new Invidia turbo back exhaust and would really like to get it installed this weekend. I would like to start on it Friday 9/3/04 after work if possible. I am going to Brooklyn Park Subaru to get gaskets for the up and down pipe today. I have no idea what I am doing so I will need all of the help I can get. I have car ramps, tools, some air tools, jack and jack stands. I know it is a long holiday weekend, but if anyone is available to give me a hand that would be great! Thanks! :p

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

What about beer and BBQ? I'm glad to hear that you finally recieved it. Hurry up and get it put on, we have a two day event at DCTC on Sunday and Monday. Bring it on! ;):p

3. Gspot

Gspot New Member

where do you live?

4. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

per her profile, Buffalo.

5. gaitedgirl

BBQ and beer can be done if I know I will have some help. I live in Buffalo.

I just picked up my gaskets.

I think Matt is supposed to email me the step by step instructions and what I need to buy for the cel fixes. I have a SS Helix flex up pipe with the eng bung and the rest is SS Invidia.

6. morganm

morganm New Member

Buffalo is a pretty good drive from Burnsville but not too far.

What time do you get off work FRI? How late do you wanna work? I'll prolly have to put my son to bed but could come out after that. SAT I'm laying brick at my Dad's. SUN I have something to attend that I forget what is exactly :p MON I have no idea; might be wide open for me but hopefully youll have it on by then!

7. gaitedgirl

I am usually home by 5 pm. Would like to start as soon as the car cools off a bit and if we want to snack or BBQ before that we can. We can work as late as we need/want to. I have nothing going on Friday night except wanting to do this. If anyone is serious, email me and I will give you my phone number and directions. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to give me a hand. :D

8. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I have zero experience with installing exhaust components on a F/I car; so I won't be much help. If I have time to, I may just show up to look dumb. :cool:

9. android

android Guest

I have the Pony Express cel fix that I didn't use. It is brand new and you can have it at a discount. Problem is, I'm in St. Cloud. You might have to pick it up.

Oh, also, I have an O2 socket. You might want to have a couple spare uppipe studs as they have been known to break. My donut gasket also had to be replaced and we didn't have a Suby one so we used a GM gasket (Arg!) Also, you'll need plenty of liquid wrench.

I just had my kit installed last week and I'm lovin it. It took the shop just under 4 hours to do Up/Down/Engine mounts and then it took me 5 minutes to reflash my ECU. Well worth the $300 IMO.

10. gaitedgirl

I went to Radio Shack during my lunch break and got the cel fix so I should be good there. Will need to look at the local auto stores for the 02 tool tonight unless there is anyone that is planning on coming over to help who would have one.

Where would I get spare studs for the up pipe at? Local auto store?

11. Musashi

You may be better off going to the dealer for those, because you want something that is heat treated.

Suggestion: Get some Liquid Wrench and start spraying the bolts you are going to be working with days in advance.

C

12. Gspot

Gspot New Member

where the heck is buffalo

13. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

West on 55 about 35 or so minutes, depending on speed driven and traffic, from 55 and 494. Not a bad drive at all, pretty fun actually cause you can do lots of passing and I haven't run into too many cops on 55 so you can usually rip down the highway there

14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

You don't need a 02 tool. The egt can stay in the pipe when you pull it. You will have to do some creative cutting on the heat shield to get it out, but it can be done. Its not tough, you just have to kinda look at what need to be cut to removed. It usually ends up baing alot easier than pulling the egt sensor. Remember, the o2 is actually in the manifold and the egt is in the uppipe.

Russ

15. morganm

morganm New Member

My wife is going to work that night and I'll have my son all night. Too short of notice for me to find a baby sitter really now :( I think Ill be staying home and finishing my rear disc conversion on the offroad beast.

Good luck with the wrenching! Said you have air tools? Bust those out on the exhaust bolts and nuts you can cuz those suckers are on TIGHT [xx(]

16. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

mnautomatic, I live on 116 & 55. Lately I've seen many police, especially at 5pm-7pm and the traffic is horrible on 55, if you know 'em, I suggest you take backroads. I've only done a BC and took out intake silencer on a subie. Done many exhausts and couple turbo kits just not on WRX, but I live 10 min away from you, gaited, if you still need help let me know.

17. Gspot

Gspot New Member

oh wait, I've been to buffalo. I went to that rodeo there....(dont say it, Matt)

18. gaitedgirl

Done many exhausts and couple turbo kits just not on WRX, but I live 10 min away from you, gaited, if you still need help let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edited by - BlackDubRX on 09/02/2004 20:12:55

I still need any help I can get. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

19. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I wouldnt mind checking it out, I'm good at spraying penetrant on things. My friend would probably come too, he just got done doing exhaust on his M3, so I at least have that to contribute. Directions?

20. gaitedgirl

Gspot,

Emailed you directions and home phone number. Let me know if you have problems.

Thanks. :)

21. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Sorry I couldn't make it... **** Taco Bell!! :(!

22. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

howed thingts work out?

Dave:cool:

23. gaitedgirl

We got the shiny new Invidia exhaust on Friday night six hours later. Ha. }:) Thanks to Gspot (Kyle and his buddy Andy) and later on Brain from S Three and his buddy Nick. :)

We did end up having to buy an 02 socket at the near by auto store otherwise from what I hear you can take off the passenger side front tire off to get at it without the 02 socket. The CEL fix that Matt gave me for the rear 02 seems to be working so far. Got that all sodered (sp?) in nicely.

Took it out for a couple of test rides after it was on and it sounds very nice and it pepped up the turbo. Drove it on Saturday and was very happy with it.

Spent a few hours today cleaning out the garage from all of the dead bugs, moths, crickets, etc. from having the garage doors open that night and the lights on that attracked them all in. Ha.

Thanks again to all that helped. :D

24. Musashi

Glad to hear phase one was completed successfully. :D

And glad you enjoy it!

25. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Glad it got done. Did you get your hands dirty, too?

26. Gspot

Gspot New Member

i think I still have crud in my fingernails...:)

27. Musashi

I'm sure it was worth it! for some bbq and BEER! ect. ;)

28. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gspot

i think I still have crud in my fingernails...:)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good! :D I got plenty under mine still from doing rear disc conversion FRI night hehehe

Glad you got it on. Wish I had came out now; I have an O2 sensor socket in my tool box from when I had an EJ22 :(

Now go put some local rustangs in their place.... your rear view mirror! :mrgreen:

29. gaitedgirl

I didn't get my hands as dirty as some of the others. That silver anti seize gets every where! Ha. I did assist in sodering though. All in all it was a learning experience that's for sure. :D

30. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Glad it worded out for you! good to see you got help as well!