Is a front strut brace really necessary?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by krees23, Jun 17, 2012.

1. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

I'm working on suspension mods at the moment and I was under the impression that strut braces in the front aren't that helpful because the struts are close to the firewall. The firewall helps with adding support.

I don't want to miss anything that can help, so asking here for input. I have a 2005 Subaru STi

So far this is what I currently have for suspension mods:
    TiC cowl braces
    CarLabs X-Brace
    Front and Rear Cobb Sway bars
    Kartboy End Links
    Oswald Front Subframe
    Vorshlag front and rear camber plates
    TiC Spec SST Coilovers

If you think the front strut support bars will help, what kind would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

I had heard that they don't make much of a difference too but I got one anyway. I got the Cusco Type OS front bar. I noticed a difference when I pushed the car harder in the turns. I was running stock suspension at the time. With your mods already it might not make a huge difference. Just my .02

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yeah people have been saying the strut towers are close enough to the firewall that they don't make a discernible difference, but I'm from the every little bit helps camp and based on your parts list it looks like you are too. fwiw, I've seen my strut towers deflect (based on a welded 1-piece strut tower brace that fit at the beginning of a season and was off by almost 1/4" by the end).

The ebay ones are cheap and light enough ($20) that I'd happily recommend one of those. Finding or building a 1-piece bar that ties into the firewall, if you have the means, would be another good way to go.

I also noticed a difference after installing one, but not from a performance standpoint and not anything I can quantify. I heard more squeaks from my upper dash/windshield when going up the same incline that never caused those sounds previously lol. So if nothing else, that area was tightened up and now a different, relatively weaker area absorbed the force.

4. krees23

Thanks, that's exactly the info I need. I will look into it as far as getting a good quality strut brace. I think with that, my suspension mods are about done. The changes made so far have made a huge difference in handling. Having the car corner balanced made a big impact as well and I would recommend it to anybody that wants the best handling possible.

5. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

I'm in the "not really" camp.
    The strut tops on the car tie into the firewall, and most of those $20 ebay strut bars bend worse than the chassis. the pivot points the install don't help things.

i did have a strut bar installed in my car for a while, but it was no ebay special.. Carbing that's lightweight aluminum and rigid. no pivots. as well as triangulated mounting above the struts. It's one of the few i thought would actually increase chassis rigidity while being legal for my class (sans MC brace)
    http://www.performanceracesolutions.com/product.php?productid=322

after all that's said and done? no change felt.

personally, if i can grab your strut bar and move it with my hand more than a few mm, it's not really going to be an effective peice. the chassis under torsion will be exerting considerably more force, and trying to make less movement.

Moleness likes this.
  6. krees23

Thanks for the info, more to consider

7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Shane makes a very good point...however I picked up my front and rear strut bars and lower H brace for $40. Pretty darn cheap, and I can notice perhaps a slight difference with everything installed.

Would I spend $300 plus, heck no, not that big of a difference. $40 for everything, a slight amount of weight and a slight difference? Sure. Plus, my rear strut bar doubles as a bar to bungee strap my sub when I'm not racing :)