Is a touchless wash safe for the STi?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by p0mg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. p0mg

p0mg Member

Got an '11 sedan and of course the main worry is the spoiler... i worry it's too high and the "dryer" deal will hit it? I usually use the BP @ Lake + Excelsior in a pinch. Also what's up w/the antennas on these things? It looks like it will fold down? is this the case?

2. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

6 years with no contact with my spoiler(o5 STi) many different carwashes.

3. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I've had no issues, that spoiler is designed to go 155 MPH. When the dryer hits, it will just provide you with more down force.

SkeetsWisconny and ofspunk7 like this.
  4. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I don't have an STI, but I do rock a snowboard rack in the winter with no front flare. I have never had any issues with it being hit and that is a good 6 - 8 inch wall of rack on my roof. I use the Holiday Unlimited Wash Pass in the winter so I am hitting up the car wash 4 - 6 times a week. Just go slow and you should be fine....

..... or just go really fast because you have all of that down force.

5. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

You should be fine. I haven't had any issue in car washes.

6. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I always thought a combination carwash/dyno would be a great idea!

BroCo likes this.
  7. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Haha, excellent idea!

8. wrx_traut

wrx_traut Well-Known Member

I took mine though a touchless a few time with no problems. Although it is a little nerve recking the first time.

9. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Yes it will fold.

10. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

I subscribe to Holiday's $20/mo unlimited wash program as I have clients in my car all the time and it needs to be clean every day. Anyway, I don't have a spoiler so I can't speak to that but I can say that on a 2011 WRX, the spinning cleaner straps that smack up against your car will take the paint off the front bumper if you don't have a clear bra protecting it. I know it was the wash because my paint is chipping off symmetrically on both sides of the license plate. Now, I don't really care because I cracked the front facia last winter while pulling into a parking lot with too high of grade from street to sidewalk... super cold day, slight bottom out and CRACK. So I'm going to have to replace the damn thing anyway. For anyone that does not have a cracked front facia I'd highly recommend staying away from these types of car washes lest you have protection. Long story short, stay safe, wrap it up!

The antenna will fold down, just hop out and flip it back up.

11. ofspunk7

Um... or just go to touchless car washes! Holiday has a link on their website for all of the touch free locations! Do that and you don't have to worry about the paint getting all scratched up!

FYI - go for the $29 package. It has underbody sprayers... this will help your car last longer in these salt filled winters.

CLICK HERE <---- this is the Holiday car wash guide

12. heel-&-toe

Thanks for the heads up on the touchless locations, good to know. The problem is that my office is 3 blocks from the North Loop location so it's just too easy to stop in during the day and as the front facia must be replaced eventually anyway I just don't care.

Regarding the $29/mo package that is also good to know, but my car is leased and I will not be buying it when the lease is up so protecting the undercarriage is not a main concern either. Yes, yes, I know, it's a horrible attitude to have but that's the long and short of it. Had I bought the car I'd be all over it though.

Hopefully Subaru will be coming out with a new STI by mid 2014 when I turn this car in so I can upgrade :)

13. ofspunk7

Yeah I was suggesting the OP get the better package. I understand you stance on the lease.

Stopping in the morning is the way to go! I usually stop on the way to work for washes in the winter and never have to wait in line. If you go after work it is typically a 10 - 20 minute wait... i have better things to do with my time. :)

14. heel-&-toe

Yes, I completley agree that auto washes in the winter are a awesome. I've found only two sure fire ways to get snow out of my wheels (no garage). The first being an old wooden spoon I keep in my glove box, funny I know but it works in a pinch and the other is a car wash.

I'm hoping to retire the spoon and upgrade to a large plastic bristle brush this year if I can find one.

15. TickTack

TickTack Well-Known Member

I take mine through holiday touchless washes all the time with no ill-effects!

16. Wirtz

Wirtz Member

Never even thought of the spoiler being an issue but yeah no issues with the carwash and dryer on the spoiler or on my 2.5" front ground clearance

17. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I agree that Automatic carwashes are convenient and really are beneficial in the winter. But call me picky, it doesn't really meet my expectations as "clean"--even if the machine is at 100% good working order. Bird poop and bug guts don't wash off unless you go through one right after getting a "fresh one" on the paint. Not only that, you better not try wiping the car down after or else you'll get swirl marks from the hidden layer of dirt that wasn't washed off. I know this with first-hand experience.

18. ofspunk7

I agree 100%. I'll take a hand washed/waxed car over a auto wash... but in the winter it is nice to run it through anytime you want.