Is the 2008 WRX truly a bad car?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MinnesotaFTW, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I've heard all of the "Bad" things about this car, but I don't really see it. It's still really fast, handles really well (Just not as well as the '09/'07) so I don't really understand why people are complaining... There's a great deal near me on an '08 Hatch with 117k miles for $10.5k. Most '09s are at upwards of $14k+. The one thing that I really love about the '08 is that it's a WRX, but slower. Which makes it a great first car.

What do you guys think of all of the complaints? Is the car truly as bad as people make it out to be?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

It was the first year for a new design. They completely changed the chassis and went away from the GD design. With most first year vehicles, there are gremlins and or unforeseen problems. It's usually best to wait a year or two for the bugs to be worked out when they make that big of a change. This is coming from a guy that owns a 2001 built 2002 WRX.(which was the new design back then) lol

Plus it is hands down the ugliest version of the GR(GR=new body style/2008-2014) hatch! The STi looked great in 2008, WRX, not so much.

3. MinnesotaFTW

Okay, so hypothetically speaking, what if someone took an '08 WRX, added an STI spoiler, JDM Grille, and different wheels.

What would be your opinion then?

4. tangledupinblu

It would be the same.

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  5. MinnesotaFTW

:(

Okay, me personally, I don't see any differences between the two, except for the spoiler, and grille.

In your eyes, what things are physically different?

6. tangledupinblu

I'll show you. They are called sexy flared fenders.

Side profile WRX(no front or rear flares)
    image.jpg

Side profile STi(hell yus flares)
    image.jpg

WRX front profile(wah wah no flares)
    image.jpg

STi front profile(lemmegetsumofthatplz)
    image.jpg

Jay, Nhibbs, Peder and 2 others like this.
  7. MinnesotaFTW

So basically, the exterior, is basically what Subaru did for the 2011+ WRX?

If so, I might have to search zoomthelist for some great deals.

8. tangledupinblu

From where i sit, that is a world of difference in the looks department. But if the flat sided WRX is your thing, by all means! But I personally think that tbe flared fenders on these cars are 50% of their aggressive looks. Without them they just have a hoodscoop?

I'm glad that they did away with that WRX fairly quick and made them the same as the STi in 2010 i believe.

xodad2 likes this.
  9. MinnesotaFTW

Yeah, me personally, I those year WRXs were too much like the base Impreza. Except for the Wing/Hood though.

If you need me, I'll be skipping school to search zoom :thumbup:

10. derp

derp Well-Known Member

"it's really fast": No. it's quick. ish. 400hp 1gen rx-7s, 750hp corvettes, and 580whp GTR-s are 'really fast'.
    "it handles really well": No. it handles alright for an AWD car. Evos handle better. RWD sports cars typically handle better. Miatas on $5,000 track spec coilovers and a bunch of other supporting parts handle 'really well'.
    "it's a great first car": No. My 1996 pontiac grand am SE 4 door 4cyl automatic was a great first car. It didn't have enough power to get me into too much trouble, handled like every other predictable FWD car out there (understeer city) and was cheap. You're not as good of a driver as you think you are. Especially with a first car, if it's at all powerful you can find yourself thoroughly ****ed before you even realize you're doing something wrong.

What you're trying to do with this thread is justify your actions to everyone else. Why?

blueroo, EricS, Kneel Weiß and 3 others like this.
  11. MinnesotaFTW

I may not be a Race Car Driver, but I am better than a lot of people out there. I've been driving my dad's Audi just fine for over a year. The car puts STIs down in the dumps, I can handle power just fine.

blackozone likes this.
  12. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above thread. A 200 hp-plus AWD turbocharged slingshot is not a good first car. It's kind of like learning to run without learning how to walk first. Your first car should be one that you plan on banging into things (parking and winter driving) and not get upset if it gets a few dings in it. Nothing says "pull me over" like a teen in a performance car.

VaHmongLee and xodad2 like this.
  13. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

The 08 still had the td04 in it as well, (with a different housing) after that they Went to a vf series turbo.

14. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

And not trying to diss your ability to drive. Insurance will toast you or whoever is flipping that bill.

Nhibbs, wagonsrumble and Ryan FailRad like this.
  15. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

a-volley-of-face-palms_o_151044.gif

16. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

The 2008 WRX is a one of a kind.
    After 2008 they upgraded the turbo, (bigger like the STI) upgraded some of the suspension bits. (stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, stiffer bushings). The 2008 isn't a bad car, it is just everything after is better.
    In 2011 the WRX got the cool body, (I'm still pissed about that) again upgraded suspension bits.
    Thinking you can just add some JDM body parts to an 2008 and have a great car is just silly. Might as well put a big aftermarket wing on a Camry.

MinnesotaFTW and Ryan FailRad like this.
  17. MinnesotaFTW

I understand that you guys don't trust a new driver with a WRX... But until you see me in the front page of the Minnesota Obituary, please just trust me, just this once. Having a fast car doesn't really make a difference on me. I drive the same whether it be my mom's Acadia, Dad's Audi, or my Grandpa's truck.

When people think of "Oh god, new driver, give him/her a ****ty car just so he won't get a speeding ticket" don't really put in the factor that A. They can still die/get a speeding ticket in a slow car and B. New drivers have all sorts of abilities.

18. tangledupinblu

That's what i did!!!
    image.jpg

xodad2 likes this.
  19. MinnesotaFTW

There's someone on /r/cars that did that to his corolla, and was actually serious.

I lol'd.

20. Jake underwood

Jake underwood Member

If I were you, for your price range stick to an 02-07 wrx or STi the new ones are just going to sail out of your price range.

21. MinnesotaFTW

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I personally like the 3rd gens more than the 2nd gens, but I don't think I could stretch my budget enough for an '08...

22. tangledupinblu

Looking at the pic of the Corolla and the pic in your avatar, they look eerily similar. :eek:

23. MinnesotaFTW

It's a '15 STI that was in the Employee Parking Lot at Morries Minnetonka :(

24. tangledupinblu

STi...Corolla...same thing.

:uhhuh:

Kneel Weiß and Ryan FailRad like this.
  25. MinnesotaFTW

:frantic:

26. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

You're all idiots, because @Jake underwood is also in high school, and has a 2013 STI and still hasn't wrapped it with a tree.. Though most of today's youth like myself are irresponsible retards, not 100% of all younge people are terrible.

27. MinnesotaFTW

Most of today's youth spend their time hanging out with friends though. Since I don't have friends, I spend all my time learning about cars, and how to drive better.

28. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hanging out with friends...

aka, sitting in a circle jerk with their heads down in a phone, texting other people that aren't there.

silver03, twiztid_rs, xodad2 and 2 others like this.
  29. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

The point isn't that your young. You have the attitude that your a great driver. If you get too cocky, that can be a problem for you and everybody else around you.
    Nothing personal but I've seen many people think they're the next Ken block and get **** ed up.

30. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

I drive a 2008 wrx sedan. It's a different kind of breed. I will upgrade the turbo at some point.

31. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

maybe be it just me, but paying anything over 5K for any car that has 6 digit odometer miles is crazy to me; unless you have another 5K on the side to dump into it.

tehfuzz and Ryan FailRad like this.
  32. MinnesotaFTW

I do have another 5k to dump into it. That's why I went cheaper than let's say, a 2010 wrx.

33. tehfuzz

Having an extra 5k laying around is handy with any turbo'ed subaru...

34. MinnesotaFTW

I understand your guy's worries, I really do, But I'm asking you guys to put the age differences away. I'm not some cocky little **** that thinks he can run the Nurburgring in under 1 minute, I'm a devoted car enthusiast that wants to put hard earned money in his dream car. I'm not looking to go 120mph on 35w, I'm looking for a car that I can enjoy at the track, and baby on the streets.

Whether or not you guys understand my reasoning, is beyond my control, but all I ask is that you don't look at me as another kid that wants to go fast, just to end up wrapped around a tree. Look at me as a responsible teenager who just wants a car that he can enjoy for the rest of his life.

35. tehfuzz

@Jake underwood is probably right. Stick to getting something older model. That way if things to happen to go south... you'll have some change to fix the car. I can appreciate the whole devoted mechanic thing. I'd really like to have space to work on my car and learn more about it, but that wont happen for a little bit. because space. Good luck with your search though.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  36. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and just start off buying a STI. You won't regret it. The good news is I happen to have the sexier STI version of the 08 WRX for sale. All for a reasonable price of 19,099.99 or 19,499.99 with extra set of rims/winter tires.

MinnesotaFTW and tangledupinblu like this.
  37. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

Reread the first sentence I wrote. No one was attacking your age.

38. Jake underwood

Jake underwood Member

@Ryan FailRad thanks haha, you just have to respect what your driving.

xodad2 and MinnesotaFTW like this.
  39. tangledupinblu

Lol!

And FWIW, the OP got defensive because of Derp. He has that kind of effect on people. :p

Kneel Weiß and Ryan FailRad like this.
  40. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

OP, read more and post less. You are a Wayzata high school nerd and you honestly do come off as cocky and immature. Even if you hadn't mentioned your age it is very apparent.
    What I will say is get whatever car you want if you can afford it. If it is a subaru and it has a turbo it will invariably turn out to be a terrible decision so who cares what POS you buy. Your price range and the turbo subaru market at the moment means you are going to buy someone elses high mileage money pit that was beaten to death. Budget for a new motor and maybe transmission.
    At your age my personal advice would be to get some friends your age and work on becoming a normal social adult.

Krazylegz1485, tonyv, xodad2 and 3 others like this.
  41. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

Here is some advice. Go to college, graduate, then think about buying a WRX or an STi.

VaHmongLee, xodad2 and tehfuzz like this.
  42. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Another thing is if you plan on "tracking your car", make sure that you put extra tires and brake pads and suspension bits etc. into your budget. Smack into something, and you may have to replace even more. And nobody here is trying to slam your age, if you can afford it, go for it. If you can afford the repairs to it, go for it. Forced induction cars last no where near as long as NA cars, take care of it (more parts moving faster and getting hotter), and it will last you longer. Minnesota is a biatch to cars here, so keep on top of Subaru's spectacular paint and protection jobs they do on their cars. Nobody's attacking your driving ability, I'm sure you're a good driver. One year behind the wheel doesn't make you an excellent driver though. Nobody looks at themselves and says, "I'm a really horrible driver". That is what people are talking about. I've been driving all sorts of cars over all types of terrain (tiny cars to 5 ton military trucks) for over 20 years, and I haven't learned all there is to driving a car. It all comes down to buy what you can afford. You WILL get targeted by the police. You WILL get targeted by other teenagers in their mom's minivans and Mustangs with the best that Pep Boys has to offer. You WILL get targeted by your insurance agent. Those all have to do with your age and the choice of car you purchase.

xodad2, MinnesotaFTW and tehfuzz like this.
  43. MinnesotaFTW

Thanks :) And yeah, I've had people in M3/S5s try to race me when I'm in the Audi, I just give them the finger, and drive off.

I completely understand what you mean by driving ability. I'm not a horrible driver (sorry) but I am for sure learning new things every day, on how to improve my abilities.

In terms of insurance, my parents know the cost, so that's why the said they'll pay for it, as long as I pay for the car. I offered to pay for the insurance, and they said go ahead, but tell us if you need help.

Also, with the tracking, do tracks in MN have an age limit? I'd love to track as much as possible, but I don't know if there's an age limit or not.

44. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

It's probably going to be 18 y/o. Might have to purchase a helmet for some, if not all. If you want to track your car, I would recommend going to one of the driving schools NF either just put one on or is putting one on. Honing your driving skill is the best mod that you can purchase for your vehicle.

tangledupinblu, xodad2 and tehfuzz like this.
  45. MinnesotaFTW

Damn, would have really loved to track. Oh well, guess I'll practice on frozen lakes during the winter.