Issue building boost. BOV issues

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by VaHmongLee, May 13, 2015.

1. VaHmongLee

VaHmongLee Member

I have a Stock intake system, Stock headers and a Stock TMIC to start off with.
    I has all the mods for a bigger turbo but its not using its full potential. Bloch 20GXT.
    And when I put on a BOV it doesn't always make that PWWSSHHH noise. So i Threw the stock one back on.

I recently went to DB performance because I was Recommended by all my good friends.
    It was my first time, so I thought why not.
    Went in to get a tune for E-85 and was hoping for 350+ power.
    After the tune, sadly Shane told me that my car is being restricted from air flow.
    He recommends a after market inter cooler and a new intake system.
    I am Currently making 22psi on Sports# 300hp and 19 on Sports. 289hp

It already has a Full exhaust system, Perrin quad tips and Invidia down pipe with EWG.
    1000cc injectors Dw65c Fuel pump.

BUT, will those alone restrict that much power? not that I'm doubting him.

What do you guys recommend?

I was thinking about getting a Cobb Turbo inlet and intake system, and Tomei unequal length headers.
    Will this solve my problem?

I'm also thinking I should just go Perrin Rotated and FMIC but then I will have to buy a whole new turbo. which this set up will cost me about 8k...
    Will this set up as of now be ok for now and just spend a grand for the intake system and headers.
    Or should I save up for this whole Rotated thing. Which will be at least another 5 years.

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

First, I believe DB's dyno reads fairly low.

Second, yes it is very possible that the stock intake and stock tmic are holding you back that much. I have a 20G XTR on mine, with an AEM cold air, but stock tmic, and Nuke wouldn't go above 21 psi due to the stock tmic. In your case, I think the stock tmic is limiting you more than the intake and headers.

Whether you get the "better" supporting mods for your current turbo/setup or go full on rotated is up to you and your final power goals. Rotated is going to cost you more, but there are lots of other options besides Perrin that are probably more reasonable and offer more value.

3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

get a bigger TMIC like grimmspeed or a FMIC.

4. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

I don't think you should worry too much about your #'s. Those are reasonable with your current mods. Most of us with same mods are in the 290-330whp range.

There's no way you'll see 350whp on that set up on a mustang/dynodynamic. If you're not planning on upping your turbo then I think the stock intercooler will be fine since there's a lot of people running near 400whp (may not be as efficient but it gets the job done).

I too have an AEM intake, but I'll most likely upgrade to the KS 73MM

5. VaHmongLee

VaHmongLee Member

haha thank you all. but what about for the BOV? is it caused by restricted air flow to or is it just a ****ty bov?
    its a SSQV bov. love the sound but it doesnt always make that pwwsshh noise. seems kind of old too...

6. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

SSQV could be fake.. Do you have a boost gauge?

7. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

NEEDZ MOAR PZZSSSSHHHHH!

tonyv and Ryan FailRad like this.
  8. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

If you want the sound from your BOV you need a GFB.

9. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

You need one of these kits OP. It will go perfectly with the ricey noisemaker BOV and be less harmful to your engine.
    https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92

"This kit comes complete with everything you need to install a Nitrous look but using CO2 Purge system on your car without having to inject anything into your engine!"

10. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

The BOV/BPV doesn't cause restriction, but it is responsible for staying clamped under boost. If it's ****ty and your boost pressures are high, it's going to leak. Your tuner would need to bring the boost down to compensate for its limitation, hence why it's an issue. It's restricting your engine's performance potential, not the airflow.

11. blackozone

Also, stop focusing on the PSH-PSH noise from a BOV. Unless you're 16, in which case fine.

12. VaHmongLee

VaHmongLee Member

Yes I have a boost gauge. EWG screams but no pwwsshh.

No im not looking for the bov noise anymore. But I was just wondering if that can be the issue. Because, when I did have the ssqv on it didnt always make noise. Then I took it off and pur the factory one back on. And it was dynoed with the factory bov.

So my question is, is the restriction coming from the air flow from the factory bpv or in that area?

13. blackozone

Are you asking if the BPV is the limitation in making more power or are you asking if the BPV is not allowing enough airflow?

14. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Probably a fake ssqv if it doesn't pwsshhhh under full boost?

15. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Mine didn't whoosh, or made an annoying shreik. Was so happy to get rid of it.

VaHmongLee likes this.
  16. VaHmongLee

VaHmongLee Member

I think the bpv is also limiting the air flow restriction.

Not all the time and if it did it wouldn't be very loud.

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

.........wut..........
    The bpv isnt limiting anything unless its leaking and not letting you build boost. It is completely closed and not restricting anything when you are at WOT...if anything is a restriction it is your stock top mount or intake.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  18. blackozone

Stop posting and go read up on turbo systems. You can't have this conversation with other people unless you know what's going on.

Ryan FailRad likes this.