Janky hood latch 05 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Butthau5, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I notice my hood bouncing all over when I'm on the freeway. I'm just terrified it's going to let go one of these days. The only thing that seems weird to me is when I pull the latch to pop the hood it feels like it has practically no tension. Any advice is appreciated.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Is the primary latch even catching? That is the latch that is released by the inside lever. The secondary latch is released by the lever under the leading edge of the hood. If only the secondary latch is catching, the hood will dance at highway speeds.

Butthau5 likes this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

My buddy has a bugeye that was in a front end collision at some point and the hood was definitely "repaired" to some extentt. The latch holds fine/properly but the hood definitely just doesn't fit quite right and dances around a little at highway speed. Even adjusting the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the front corners of the hood didn't seem to do much good, either.

Butthau5 likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds like the cable has stretched over the years. Two words, hood pins.:D

5. Butthau5

Yes primary latch is catching and I literally test it every time I shut the hood to make sure cuz it's sketchy lol. My old bugeye would be touchy about it in winter you would latch it and it would only hold for about 20 seconds just long enough to get in the car. It does bounce around just as much as if it weren't latched though.

6. Butthau5

Yes I also tried fooling with those things and could only make my hood sit up too high and it did nothing to the bounciness

7. Butthau5

This is what parts car is for. I will test this theory.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

The hood release cable on one of mine is stretched from years of use. It happens, unless you're really diligent with lubricating the parts.

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Gorilla Tape is easier than hood pins. Bungie cords if you are one to open the hood and check the oil.

tangledupinblu likes this.