July 31st Dyno days: participant query

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by RiftsWRX, Jul 15, 2004.

1. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

Hi guys,

I was hoping that the people signed up for tunes can post the exact modifications of their cars so that I can start to select the appropriate base maps for the configuration.

Information I'm looking for:

Shortblock
    Head/cam combo
    Rails/regulator
    Injectors
    Coils and plugs (including gap)
    intake and filter combo
    crank pully
    flywheel/clutch or torque converter used
    trans used
    manifold/header used
    up-pipe used
    turbo used
    turboback setup used
    intercooler used
    cooling system configuration (thermostat, radiator, coolant)
    ancillary mods (water spray, porting, etc)

Finally UTEC firmware version. We'll all be using 4.2 for this, so if you don't have it, you can save a bunch of time that Saturday by having your car flashed and ready to go. Please post your goals for the tune (93 octane tune, race gas tune, conservative and aggressive maps, etc). If someone wants 5 maps, we'll try and accomodate what we can in the two hour time slot.

If anyone has any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask!

Things to note: This is what I tell everyone.

-To get the most of the stock turbo you want 550's
    -To get the most of a VF you want 600's
    -Anything larger needs 650's or larger
    -Avoid the temptation to use modified injectors, My personal preferences are Ultimate-racings series of injector upgrades for the WRX's and STI's
    -If your using a P18 based IHI (vf30/34,etc), and are running catless, you WILL creep in the upper gears unless you get the wastegate ported. This, mixed with STI 550's can be dangerous, as your already riding a FINE line with those injectors on a VF (they're maxed out)

Finally...
    -I'm not a horsepower chaser. There's one proper AFR curve, one proper timing curve, and one proper boost curve. What I will deliver to you is a smooth, safe, tune based on what's on the car. I am yet to have someone lose a motor on me (lots of trans though hehe), and don't plan on starting with you guys.

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

2. igofast

igofast New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RiftsWRX

Shortblock
    Head/cam combo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

stock

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Rails/regulator<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

MRT rails feeding in parallel with 2 stock regulators

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Injectors<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

STi pink 550's

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Coils and plugs (including gap)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Stock coils. Plugs are NKG BKR7EVX-11 Platinum gapped to .028

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">intake and filter combo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

stock, silencer removed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">crank pully<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

lightweight underdriven Vivid Racing

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">flywheel/clutch or torque converter used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exedy Lightweight flywheel, stock clutch.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">trans used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

stock 5mt

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">manifold/header used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Borla

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">up-pipe used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

TXS catless

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">turbo used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

VF23

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">turboback setup used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

TXS catless downpipe, TXS high flow cat midpipe, Stromung muffler

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">intercooler used<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

JDM STi V.8

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">cooling system configuration (thermostat, radiator, coolant)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Koyo radiator, 1.3 bar cap, EG high-milage coolant in ~50/50 mix

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">ancillary mods (water spray, porting, etc)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

none worth mentioning

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">UTEC firmware version.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Please post your goals for the tune (93 octane tune, race gas tune, conservative and aggressive maps, etc).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

#1. conservative tune 93 octane
    #2. conservative tune 91 octane
    #3. Fix open loop/closed loop transition problem
    #4. aggressive 93 octane
    #5. aggressive 91 octane

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If anyone has any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I sent you an e-mail a while back but you must have not gotten it. I probably will not be there for the tune but will be entrusting my baby to a friend.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Things to note: This is what I tell everyone.

-Avoid the temptation to use modified injectors, My personal preferences are Ultimate-racings series of injector upgrades for the WRX's and STI's<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm curious, do you prefer that people have the 550's, or modified stockers on the VF's?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks Jorge!

3. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RiftsWRX

Hi guys,

Shortblock
    Head/cam combo
    Rails/regulator
    Injectors
    Coils and plugs (including gap)
    intake and filter combo
    crank pully
    flywheel/clutch or torque converter used
    trans used
    manifold/header used
    up-pipe used
    turbo used
    turboback setup used
    intercooler used
    cooling system configuration (thermostat, radiator, coolant)
    ancillary mods (water spray, porting, etc)

Please post your goals for the tune (93 octane tune, race gas tune, conservative and aggressive maps, etc):

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

To wet myself on hard acceleration! :D

Shortblock: 2.5
    Head/cam combo: stock
    Rails/regulator: Aps/areomotive
    Injectors: pe 800
    Coils and plugs (including gap): stock/.028
    intake and filter combo: aps/k&n
    crank pully: no
    flywheel/clutch or torque converter used: Exedy hyper single
    trans used: stock 6mt
    manifold/header used: Cusco
    up-pipe used: perrin 2" up-pipe
    turbo used: Sr-50
    turboback setup used: invidia
    intercooler used: APS dr-650
    cooling system configuration (thermostat, radiator, coolant): Not yet but soon! 50/50
    ancillary mods (water spray, porting, etc: Ported tgv/TB extrude hone runner

slot 1: 93 oct, min. boost safe (Fail safe map for bad gas)
    slot 2: 93 oct, 15psi safe (track days)
    slot 3: 100 oct, 15psi safe (track days)
    slot 4: 100 oct, 20psi agressive (track days)
    slot 5: c16, 25psi agressive

OK as for the rest, the only other person on the list here is Paul I will check in with him and get him to post his info. The other two I will get into contact with and either post for them or get them on here to get their onfo.

Matt

4. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

John: I shy people away from modified stock injectors, because they're very volitile in their delivery. Unless you want to live in a constant world of aggressive fuel delivery, misfires, as well as a mapping nightmare (been there, done that) go with modified stockers.

STI's work great, but IMO are just too small for a VF series (to really take advantage of them at least).

So to reiterate:

stock turbo's: STI pinks
    VF series turbos: UR600's (IMO of course)
    larger: PE650's, UR670's, UR785's

Matt: Things to consider, there's no problem setting up boost maps to do what you want, but if you want 15 PSI on a conservative map, I'd suggest setting the map up to run 18 PSI or so in the midrange and then 15 PSI by redline. Reason being, that way you can increase your midrange torque quite a bit. This will especially help if your caught in the wrong gear, or don't always want to hunt for that right gear while driving around.

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

5. igofast

igofast New Member

John: I shy people away from modified stock injectors, because they're very volitile in their delivery. Unless you want to live in a constant world of aggressive fuel delivery, misfires, as well as a mapping nightmare (been there, done that) go with modified stockers.

STI's work great, but IMO are just too small for a VF series (to really take advantage of them at least).

So to reiterate:

stock turbo's: STI pinks
    VF series turbos: UR600's (IMO of course)
    larger: PE650's, UR670's, UR785's

Good to know. Do you think raising the fuel pressure on the STi's would be a workaround, or do you feel raising the pressure would be in the same league as modifying the stock injectors?

I'm assuming that since both Matt and I want to run different octanes that it's possible. I'm assuming that I just provide both types and we just drain between runs? Is that something I can ask you guys to do for me, since my buddy knows nothing about cars. I'm working on getting out of my commitment on Saturday, but no luck yet.

Another thing. I tracked this info down on the net somewhere and would like to run these pressures if possible on my aggresive maps:

RPM Boost(psi)
    3000 19.5
    4000 20
    5000 19
    6000 16
    7000 12

My research has show these pressures to be the max for my turbo's efficiency range. If you have other data that shows different, please go with that.

Last thing. I have an EGT probe that needs to go back in. I prevously had it in on #3, but have seen data that may support problems on #4. Which do you prefer to watch?

6. hi Im paul yath

hi Im paul yath Guest

Sorry guys, just got back from Vegas. Here ya go.

Shortblock: Stock
    Head/cam combo: Stock
    Rails/regulator: Stock
    Injectors: STi pink 565cc's
    Coils and plugs (including gap): Stock
    intake and filter combo: Perrin Short Ram intake and filter
    crank pully: Stock
    flywheel/clutch or torque converter used: Exedy Hyper Single
    trans used: Stock 5 speed
    manifold/header used: Gruppe-S 4-1
    up-pipe used: ATR
    turbo used VF34 PNP
    turboback setup used: APS Turboback
    intercooler used: APS Front Mount
    cooling system configuration (thermostat, radiator, coolant): Stock
    ancillary mods (water spray, porting, etc): Intercooler Waterspray

For maps, I'm not sure, 93 octane aggressive and 93 octane not aggressive. I want a car thats is fun to drive on the streets and may see occasional track time. Anything else, let me know.

Paul

7. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by igofast
    [brI'm assuming that since both Matt and I want to run different octanes that it's possible. I'm assuming that I just provide both types and we just drain between runs? Is that something I can ask you guys to do for me, since my buddy knows nothing about cars. I'm working on getting out of my commitment on Saturday, but no luck yet.

John, I would just send your car with it as low on 91 fuel as possible. Like to the point of running out. Then also send 5 gal. of 91 oct. and 10 gal. of 93. We will run the car with as little fuel in the tank and still tune. Then when we are done with 91 we will dump in the 93 and tune that.

8. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by igofast

Another thing. I tracked this info down on the net somewhere and would like to run these pressures if possible on my aggresive maps:

RPM Boost(psi)
    3000 19.5
    4000 20
    5000 19
    6000 16
    7000 12

My research has show these pressures to be the max for my turbo's efficiency range. If you have other data that shows different, please go with that.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't want to hijack the thread but if you manage to achieve that much boost by 3000 RPM, I will be very surprised! Maybe with a little jolt of nitrous to get it spooled...FWIW I get peak boost by about 3600 or 3700 RPM.

9. igofast

igofast New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

RPM Boost(psi)
    3000 19.5
    4000 20
    5000 19
    6000 16
    7000 12

My research has show these pressures to be the max for my turbo's efficiency range. If you have other data that shows different, please go with that.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't want to hijack the thread but if you manage to achieve that much boost by 3000 RPM, I will be very surprised! Maybe with a little jolt of nitrous to get it spooled...FWIW I get peak boost by about 3600 or 3700 RPM.

Your telling me! Those are the max boost for the turbos efficiency range, AFAIK. You and I both know I'll be lucky to get half that at 3k.

10. bikerboy

<font size="3">Paul</font id="size3"> can you call me so I can flash your utec to 4.2

11. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

John: we can run whatever boost figures you'd like, but your not far off from what I'd have done anyways. As for fueling, IMO, just run a proper injector, don't try and fudge it via FPR changes, etc.

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

12. Neef

Neef New Member

d@mmit I wish my car didnt get all jacked up!!! Can I still attend and watch ur run matt?

13. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Neef

d@mmit I wish my car didnt get all jacked up!!! Can I still attend and watch ur run matt?

I will be running early in the morning. There will be a group gathering there at 4 or so.

14. Neef

Neef New Member

4 am???? I just want to see what ur car does..

15. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Neef

4 am???? I just want to see what ur car does..

Sorry, I mean I will be doing mine early in the morning. I am not going to have a group of people wondering around the shop. We will be to busy for that. We will have a little meet at the end of the day at 4pm or so. So sorry you will not be able to watch the runs but I will share the graphs at the meet.

16. Neef

Neef New Member

its cool man.. how about a ride? :D

17. bikerboy

Just days away and I am so excited :D

18. igofast

igofast New Member

Last minute changes for me:

APS intercooler
    PWR Radiator

I don't believe either should impact the basemaps, but thought you may want to know.

19. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

Bags packed, boarding pass printed, arrangements made. ;)

We'll see ya'll soon!

Matt, I'll buzz you when I land.

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com