Knee Assembly for 2002-03 WRX Wagon

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by Jim, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

After not being around here for ages (no time to work on the car anymore) I return asking for a little help. I had a front passenger side control arm and sway bar link replaced at a shop a while ago and they said something was also bent in the "knee assembly." Not a part I was previously familiar with as I've done next to no suspension work in the past. I couldn't afford it at the time, had no luck finding any used parts, and am wondering if anyone has one from a part out or something. From the research I've done it seems the wagon one is slightly different from the sedan, and of course the sedan ones are available all over and none for wagons. Any leads would be awesome, thanks for reading!

2. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I've never heard a car part be referred to as a "knee". Can you be more descriptive as to where it's located/what it looks like? I'm guessing either the spindle/hub or lower control arm possibly? The LCA's are different widths for sedans vs wagons.

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

knuckle/hub assembly?

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Yeah I hadn't heard of it before the shop called it that, but have seen parts listed as that or knuckle, spindle etc. I haven't seen the actual bent part, I replaced the lower control arm and sway bar link since they were clearly broken but the wheel is still crooked and makes a minor grinding noise. Will attempt to come back with more info and edit this post. Not the right part but an example https://www.ebay.com/i/271630312047?chn=ps&dispItem=1

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Found this as part of an article online.

"In the typical rear-wheel drive front suspension, shown at left, there are several main components that make up the suspension assembly:

• Upper and lower control arms;
    • Hub, bearing and knuckle;
    • Strut or shock absorber; and
    • Drive axles.

This assembled unit is sometimes called a knee assembly, and can be purchased as an LKQ (used) assembly."

I'm assuming it's similar when talking about a front assembly on a fwd or awd car? Never heard of it myself.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I can't post a screenshot here, but if you go to car-part.com and search your vehicle, then go to suspension, you can search for a knee assembly (front and rear). Then pick SW (station wagon), WRX, RH. Then your zip code. There's a bunch of results on there.

Jim and ocie like this.
  7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

That's what people who are afraid of fuel injection call knuckles.

tangledupinblu likes this.