Lake Superior ProRally Oct. 22-23 (SCCA)

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Grimm, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Grimm

Grimm New Member

In the Beautiful copper contry. Near MTU in Houghton.

Woods, Dirt, Mud, Mountans (In MI? Yes, the porcupines) mud and 1 million shades if dead leafs. Yes you heard me right 1 million shades, and if you count and come up short you can find me near turn 23, unless it is a differnt path this year, and I will give you a beer.

http://www.lsprorally.com/index.html

A measily 7 hour drive (at the speed limit... normal is 5-6). Come see what was almost the capital of MI... which now has a population of 4k maybe....

2. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

3. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

My parents have a cabin on the west of Houghton on Lake Superior so I will certainly be there. Some of my favorite roads to drive are up there along the shores of the lake.

4. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Cool Beens RallyNavvie- I have freinds finishing PHD's and stuff like that there, but I will be staying in South Range at a freinds house. The Infamus Brazilian Polka people... Anyways we could set a time to meet at say the dog house (duglas house saloon), or any other place. I think my freinds are flaging but not sure.

5. RallyNavvie

I'd rather hit the Library. Better beer :D

6. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Better beer is a relative term.... If you want good beer you need to hit the new micro brew. That is some decent stuff, and better than the library, but anyways I will give you the number at where I will be staying. My cell (sprint) doesn't work up there. Sprint took down their cell, or I don't have analog working right now. Either way it is always good to have more people in my book.

7. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

You all better hit it, SCCA is completely finished with prorally starting in 2005, so rally will never be the same as it was.:(:(:(!At least not here in the USA

8. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

dang. i'm having my wisdom teeth removed on the 22nd, so i probably won't be able to make it. which is dissapointing since rally is done after this year :(

9. rallywrx

rallywrx New Member

I'll be there. Who else is going? Anyone else volunteering to work? I hope to meet more of you there.

10. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Rallywrx I sent you the number I will be at. Depending on how early I get out of work and if my tires get done I will posibly leaving for there on thursday night ETA South Range 3 am Friday :p. IF you see a early 80 trouper brown with brazilan flags on it, that is where I will be. I am talking to a few crew people for differnt people to try and get a bigger party going for after the race. I know everyone will be tired... But that is no reason to pass up a sawna and beer!

11. rallywrx

rallywrx New Member

Cool, I'll look for you there. I haven't gotten an email from you yet? I'll be bringing my little sister up for her indroduction to rally! Being 100% Finnish, I always enjoy a good sauna too.

12. RallyNavvie

Is your sister 18? :D

13. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rallywrx

Cool, I'll look for you there. I haven't gotten an email from you yet? I'll be bringing my little sister up for her indroduction to rally! Being 100% Finnish, I always enjoy a good sauna too.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Huva suome!

14. RallyNavvie

Ugh, a bunch of Finns up there driving Subarus :p :D

I can finally load up on pasties again while up there. I love those things and you just can't find a good place for them anywhere else around here.

15. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RallyNavvie

Ugh, a bunch of Finns up there driving Subarus :p :D

I can finally load up on pasties again while up there. I love those things and you just can't find a good place for them anywhere else around here.
    I am actualy a mut :p. German, english, polish, finish, and probably every other country around.... But I do have finish freinds up there. It is hard not too... Hancock the only flags you see are Finish and American. You can acually mail order next day frozen pasties from there. I think the soume cafe has them that way too. If you are very lucky you can get deer ones too.

16. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

so where abouts is this place? i am interested in going, i got thursday and friday off. please keep me informed

17. Grimm

Grimm New Member

18. RallyNavvie

Back.

Was there a rally going on up there? Because I didn't see anything [xx(]
    Actually I saw a lot of rain north of Kenton Friday night but after Dennis Martin's car went out I went with the rest of his crew on a joyride around M26.

Don't recall seeing any Subarus with MN plates other than mine and a few of the rally cars. I think there was a green L or LX keeping up with me through Superior on the way back tonight though. If it was someone from here you should check your tail lights, they're really dim, or they're both dead.

19. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Yeah, Friday probably blew if you were out at a farther checkpoint. A tree got downed and it was delayed if you were at the farther stations. I took a few hundred pictures before my battery crapped out on me SAT. I got a Subie banner, and a good hangover :p I mistakenly finished the whole bottle of rum, and don't remember all of the 3rd stage at the mine.

I talked to someone with a Blue STI that isn't in the club that will hopefully sign on when he gets back. Also I met a 50+ man and woman from IL (if my drunkenness remembered correctly) and the old lady was the one driving their STI :p

I saw Dan of course at the mall on Friday. You can see his mug in one of the pictures.
    I have a 512 MB zip on my server LSPR.ZIP. Remember this is in my house, so no whining if you only get 30kbs The pictures are in the LSPR directory in groups of 100. Some are just of the drive to the staging site.

Again, Dan it was good to meet you for the tires and at the race!

http://24.26.181.93/>MNSUBARU/

More updates as I get a second or 2 from work.

20. rallywrx

rallywrx New Member

What a fun trip! I was working stages 4 and 7 Friday night so I was one of the unlucky ones. Headed into the woods at 6 pm and didn't see the first car until 10:30 pm, which was about 2 hours late. The stories about downed trees and a rolled car from that stage can be found on www.specialstage.com. At about 11pm it started raining much harder and I went back in the car. I fell asleep and woke up around 3am? and cars were racing by again for stage 7. There were 6 of us in 2 cars at our marshall point and we didn't leave until about 4 am. Then on the way out, the driver of the other car went off the road and into a tree. Luckly everyone was ok and we were all able to fit into my car for the long ride back to Houghton. Got back around 6:30 am and had to be up at 8 to make it to my next worker asignment. Saturday was a lot more fun. A kind hunter came and invited us to his shack for the 4.5 hour wait between the stages we were working. I was tired, but it was worth it.

Erik, it was nice to see you up there. I hope you had a good time.

21. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rallywrx

Erik, it was nice to see you up there. I hope you had a good time.

Oh, yeah, I had a good time. I got a little too liquored up and don't remember about 4:30-6pm sat but other than that I had a lot of fun at my usual spot. I got one of the subi signs, but it got a little heated on the way home. I hope it goes well next year when rally america takes over. Actualy I just hope it happens!