Largest Tire

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Grimm, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Here is a noob question,

Maybe largest is the wrong phrasing for this, but what is the largest tire that will fit on the wrx (02)? Width and height. I have been thinking on new tires, and I was curious how large I could really go. I see a lot of the 18 X 8.5 on subie sites, but I want to be sure. Anyone try 20 X 10's? I am less concerned about outside diameter as to that of the width, so how wide can I go without rubing?

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I think COBB is running 10" width on their Yellow WRX.

3. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Do you care about handling AT ALL or just bling?

4. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jprice

Do you care about handling AT ALL or just bling?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't care about image at all. Just handeling. I am actualy suprized you asked that.
    /sarcasm Yeah I'm looking for those PHAT Spinna's

5. Musashi

Spinners :D what about dub's.

I guess it depends there are a couple of things that come to my mind; how low you plan on lowering your car and are you going to flare the fenders or roll them out? I have a friend who had problems with his WRX's wheels clearing that were 235 on some 18".

What kind of handling are you talking about? Road Race, Street, Auto-X, drag?

6. Grimm

Grimm New Member

I don't think I am going to lower this one. I want to take it out into drifts in the north during winter snowboarding. (origional rims for that with snow tires). I was thinking more track/street. I wasn't thinking on fender rolling or widebody kits as of right now. I wasn't thinking any taller than 18's max... Hoping 10 wide in back and atleast 8.5 in front.

I wanted to get home early enough tonight to pull the rears and do some measurements... but alse work is still kicking my but.

7. Musashi

Erik,

Just my option but its likely that you will actually be slower going with 8.5" to 10" width tires (depending how light your rims are). Unless you have some major ponies to push that much rubber around; sometimes the fastest way around a turn or an object is to slide it around. For me the most I'd go on my Scoobie is 8" around. Keep in mind I'm thinking that your going to get some nice summer Ultra high performance tires and not some cheap brand tires. My $.02

Check out http://www.teamsmr.com/html/car.html they run 17" wheels.
    4 sets of wheels (2 sets Enkei RFP1 17"x8", 2 sets of Rota Subzero 17"x7.5")
    1 set of brand new Toyo RA1 235x40x17" sticker race tires
    3 sets of used Hoosier R3S03 225x45x17" race tires

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68020

Happy hunting!

C ;)

8. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Thanks Mushashi for your 2 cents,

Yeah, I plan on having 2 sets of tires in the end... Summer, and winter ones. Yeah I was thinking 8-8.5 in front, maybe I should rethink the larger ones in the rear... Last car I had for zooming was the 308 GTSI and it had a little more power. At this rate with work and all I might not worry too much about it untill next summer.

the teamsmr says they use
    "Rota Subzero 17” x 7.5” 45mm Offset Wheels"
    "Enkei RPF1 17”x8” 45mm Offset Wheels"

I forget how light these guys are too...

9. Musashi

Erik,

Please keep me informed, I'd be interested in how it all works out. ;)

C

10. Grimm

Grimm New Member

I might save the money for new tires and rims for that NSX-T, but either way I will let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.