legacy??

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by subiedriver4444, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subiedriver4444

subiedriver4444 Well-Known Member

is there other forums for legacys too...? or are they part of this world and have there own? hahaha. cause you dont see many of them on NASIOC or anything, cause i was looking to look up some info on them since i might be interested in buying myself a GT :)

does anyone know if there is a difference between the GT and the SPEC B..? or am i just a noob and they are the samething...lol

2. Ej22TIM

Ej22TIM Well-Known Member

the only thing you need to know about the spec b. is- 6 speed!!!! :yumyum:

3. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

4. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

legacy Ftw!

05-08 gts have a 5 speed

Spec b's have a 6 speed more powerful motor and fancy interior and there was only 3000 made

5. subiedriver4444

hahaha wellll...thats why i was looking into the legacys...cause i took the test drive to my new job and its going to take the 8 o'clock traffic to minneapolis and i kinda wanna stick to still having an auto :/

6. 9blackmax6

autos are for right angles. Ask qstarin!

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

8. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Legacygt.com
    Differences between legacies
    05: you can have a wagon with a manual. You can ahve cloth. You can have a car without a sunroof. The lightest cars
    06: same as 05, slightly heavier. limited only. Safer side scores-impact
    05 spec B: Nav+funky interor. Inverted bilstiens. 5-speed. Torsen RLSD vs. goo diff. Inverted bilstiens. Aluminum contol arms
    07+ GT: SI drive. More weight. Many part number changes in the engine. Not quite as good as the 05-06 for mods.
    07+ spec: 6 speed, everything in 06 spec B and +07 GT.

Buying an automatic legacy GT is a waste of time IMHO. If automatic, get the 3.0R.

Cannot get a spec B in automatic.

Minenapolis traffic isn't bad enough to justify an auto. LA, maybe.

The proce increase of the spec probably doesn't justify the performance. 6-speed's not really that great. The 5-speed in the LGT is quite a bit beafier than the WRX 5. The 6-speed is a better transmission, but it's also heavier and more expoensive.
    The suspension is cool, but a few hundred dollars in shocks will give you the same thing. (Spec B uses the same springs).
    The torsen diff is better and I want it.

Not all specs have 6-speeds. Same motor down to part numbers.
    The only limited edition spec was the 5-speed with 500 made.

9. subiedriver4444

hmm why is an auto a bad idea? :/

10. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Are you serious? MT ftw. Traffic is no excuse for auto, drive stick.

11. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Subaru's Automatics are worse than thier manuals.
    the GT is not as well matched to an auto as the 3.0 H6. If you get an auto, get the H6 IMHO.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

The 5eat is an amazing transmission, srsly.

13. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

bah go manual once you do it you'll never go back..unless your name is fobia :laugh:

14. subiedriver4444

yea i want one really really bad! but it just seems like a pin when im going to have to be in traffic pretty much my whole drive :/

i was just maybe thinking the auto tranny on the legacy might be a lil better than the ones on the wrx...like my rs is an auto and its at 120k and its still holding up great..

15. wrexinator03

yeah but what about when you not in traffic?!?!? manuals are fun and they are not that bad in traffic at all

16. 9blackmax6

manual only. Dont you want to actually drivvvvveee your car?!!?!!?!!??1348!!?!? If you have an automatic your ID will laugh at you! Feed your true innerself with a tasty 5 speed with 3 pedals for dessert. Plus than you will have the right to say that you sir indeed drive stick and are emotionally connected with your car because you tell her how to drive not some broke ass POS black doughnut torque converter looking thing. All of us manual drivers dont want to say it cuz it sounds
    gay but.. Its more than just shifting gearz

17. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Somewhat. TransGo came out with a valvebody reprogramming kit for it not too long ago. :naughty:

18. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

w00t!

19. wrexinator03

eric is right...you feel more like one with your car :laugh:

20. subiedriver4444

hahaha i know thhhatt. but the drive from apple valley to golden valley isnt without much stop and go unfortantly :/

21. wrexinator03

so i have plenty of stop and go its not bad....those are just excuses

22. subiedriver4444

well i havent owned a stick before either, but i have driven them alot...and everyone i know that has a stick say they wish they didnt have a stick for traffic

23. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Bah, they are weenies then. Its only bad if you are bad at driving a stick and use the clutch way too much.

24. mars_volta

mars_volta Well-Known Member

manual FTW. i love my LGT.

25. 9blackmax6

They say that because it is cliché. Anyone who says they get annoyed with a stick is pulling your leg, because anyone who drives. Stick knows exactly what they are getting into. Why do you think they bought one in the first place!? Ts not like manuals are harder to find than autos. We all know that's true, and anyone who can't find an auto that wants one drives a Sports car and why would someone spendthat kind of money on a Really fast car andthen get an auto tranny...com'mon dont be so neieve

26. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

^you need to relax a bit. if he wants an AT, he can get one. no need to get insulting about it.

it's all personal preference. I do think you should see if you can't barrow a subaru 5MT for a day to see what it'd be like.

But I can tell you, every night that I get home from work, I wish I'd been delivering with an AT. 50-70 miles all in Duluth over an 8-10 hour shift....yea, will be buying a DD with a torque converter pretty soon.

truth is, with a couple mods (most notably an external cooler, separate from the radiator), the EATs can be much stronger and more reliable than an 5MT. and some (I don't know exactly which ones had it) could still be shifted manually, so you can tell it to downshift as you enter a corner.

yea, I think a 5MT is much more fun, but my left knee is quite sore, right now, from using the clutch for work.

27. subiedriver4444

^^ this is what i want to avoid since i already have a knee problem :/ .

and trust me i really wanted a stick before i took the test drive out to my new work.

28. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

then I would definitely recommend an AT. and exceptionally recommend a 5EAT, pretty sweet trans.

29. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

30. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

A little research might help you out.

There's no difference in power between a Spec B and a GT. The difference comes down to everything behind the engine. If you want a manual and factory nav, then you have to buy a Spec B. The main difference is in the suspension and trans/diffs. The Spec B has aluminum bits in the suspension, as well as Bilstein struts (hence the Spec B title). They also have a modified version of the STI 6 speed (no DCCD) and a Torsen rear diff. The interior of the first model year (limited to 500 units) was a brick red leather specific to that model. After that, they had a blue alcantara insert similar to the STI seats. For 08 they've gone to black alcantara. From 2006 onwards there has been no limited production. Also, 2008 brought another color, quartz silver metallic.

If he wants an automatic, he can buy an automatic and he shouldn't have to deal with you or anyone else who thinks they're better because they can manually shift their car. I'll give more respect to a driver with an automatic who actually knows what they're talking about and can really drive the car than I will to someone who thinks they're the **** because they can row their own gears. Some people don't want to deal with the hassle, especially in traffic. Let me guess, if someone were to get a Ferrari or BMW with an SMG you'd say they're not driving a "real" manual because it doesn't have a clutch pedal?

Having driven Bikerboys LGT with an upgraded torque converter, I would have no hesitation at all on buying an auto if I decided I didn't feel like shifting anymore. The 5EAT is also pretty versatile. You can leave it in regular mode when you don't feel like doing anything, you can slide the lever over to sport when you feel like having some fun but you're fine with letting the car do the work. You can manually shift it with buttons on the steering wheel or by pushing the shift lever forwards or backwards to up or downshift. The ratios on the 5EAT aren't bad at all. Also, if you're looking at used ones I'd bet that the autos are likely to have been less abused as they're overlooked for the most part by enthusiast types.

31. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I agree. If you want an auto, get an auto. The 5eat is a great trans.

32. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

the only problem i have with auto's is that they are glass..but im in the same boat as that kid..i dont know how to drive sticks...TIM is teaching me though

33. ShortytheFirefighter

Where are you getting your information? The 4EAT and 5EAT will hold power much more reliably than the 5MT. How many broken ones have you actually seen? I can't begin to count the number of 5 speeds I've seen broken, but very rarely do I see broken autos and then they're mainly due to neglect/abuse. Kinda like the 5 speeds...

Wonder if that's a coincidence?

34. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

I hear that it is harder to find custom exhaust for the legacy auto's because of the transmission getting in the way of the piping... at least it was early on, I haven't heard lately.

35. scoobypwnz201

i have broken quite a few hahaha :p

36. ShortytheFirefighter

And what were you doing before/when it broke?

37. scoobypwnz201

i stomp on it hahahaha :p

38. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Then stop sh*tting in people's threads... :hsugh:

39. ShortytheFirefighter

I'll second the motion.

40. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

entirely false. the 4EATs are stronger than the 5MTs. especially with a few rather simple modifications.

41. scoobypwnz201

for me i beg to differ? :p thats just how hard i drive though...

42. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

^^This!! In my first subie 98LGT you could blip the throttle and the car would upshift into a higher gear bringing up your RPM's for a funner corner section! +1

Also i used to have a 96 Legacy 5mt for a daily driver and i honestly got tired of it. Traffic sucked.. wasnt the worst thing in the world but wasnt my favorite.

Just the non-hassle of shifting is nice you can relax a bit more when you drive
    uhh.. Also if you have a girlfriend or get one in the future A LOT! of girls can't drive an MT not to say that there arn't girls who can BUT the majority i would say can't so you'd have to think that you would be the driver ALL the time in that case..

On the plus side for an MT if you are planning to mod your car or track it having a MT can be a little funner..
    Also will experience you for in the future say with a Z06 or sumn..:hsugh: but just good driving skills to have will make you a better overall driver.

umm think thats it.. end rant

43. ShortytheFirefighter

So once again, we're back to the abuse/neglect portion of my post. Just because you either can't drive or can't maintain a transmission doesn't mean that it's a bad transmission. That's the only thing I can think of, because it's not like you're putting down much over 100 whp.

I'm tired of people just pulling stuff out of their posterior and trying to pass them as fact. It's been running rampant on the site lately and it's getting very old, very quickly.

44. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

had a lot of subie 5MTs then?

if you're breaking 4EATs, you'll pulverize a 5MT.

45. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

how about better gas mileage with a manual? how about taking some back roads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.