Lifetime Alignment

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SlowSC, May 13, 2016.

1. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

What's the best place to go get a lifetime alignment package from? Putting both price and customer experience into consideration. I don't know how true this is, but from what I've read online is that some techs will skimp on service when they work on customer's cars that come with the lifetime alignment package since they don't get full commission for it. Just wondering what a good, reputable place is to go for this. I was thinking about going to the Youngstedts in Maple Grove, but wanted to hear other options.

TIA!

2. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Tires plus is where my buddy goes, but I'm pretty sure they wont work on modified cars so keep that in mind

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Jeff the alignment guy. He has the best alignments around and best prices around. I guess ive never heard the term life time alignment though.

TMF likes this.
  4. Yekim

Yekim Member

With my previous cars, I've used a local Firestone.

5. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

If you are looking for just stock settings, and no performance gains, then you may be able to go to a big box store. Usually they will not set an alignment out of factory specs, and will not spend much time to make your alignment as good as it can be. They will stop once they hit those factory specs, which can be off by quite a bit.
    If your suspension parts are in good order, and you're not swapping bits out, a good alignment will last quite a long time. It is well worth paying someone like Jeff the money every couple of years.

SurlyOldManMN and TMF like this.
  6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yep. I wouldn't get an alignment anywhere else.

SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

+1 for Jeff the Alignment guy. Best way to schedule is via email.

DIRTY D likes this.
  8. djhamp

djhamp Well-Known Member

I have been happy with Youngstedts in Maple Grove as far as customer service and knowledge. I had to get my new winter tire/wheels rebalanced (from tirerack) last fall. The lifetime alignment was only something like $20.00 more - think it was $70ish, I don't remember exactly. When I went to put the summer wheels back on I found a screw in one of the tires, they looked it over - removed the screw and tested - didn't have to plug. There was no charge for that, nice people.

9. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

I didn't even consider factory vs performance specs when it came to the alignment. I am definitely leaning towards performance since I just added BC coilovers, Eibach F/R sway bays, and Kartboy endlinks. I just hopped on to Jeff's site and it looks like the perfect place to bring my STI to!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Just don't be late and don't park in front of his overhead door!

You have been warned!!

DIRTY D and TMF like this.
  11. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Well-Known Member

Also, a lot of these lifetime packages are only if you don't service your own car from my experience. For them to keep re-aligning the vehicle, they must be the ones that changed out the part that caused a need for re-alignment. IE Tie rod, bearing, struts, etc...

That may not be the case for all of them, and there are ways out getting out of that with going to different locations and such but something to keep in mind.

12. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

First I have heard of that...alignments are not just for when you change something out.

I am fortunate in that I have an old friend that is a mechanic at Tires Plus. I have lifetime plans on all my cars and he sets things exactly how I request. :cool:

13. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you mean, they can be performed at any time to correct for problems. The issue I meant to get across is if you show up at one of these places for your "free" re-alignment with new struts and they have no record of them doing the install on those struts. Most of the fine print on the purchase will state you're screwed. Just want people interested in these programs to understand that if they plan on also doing their own hard part maintenance.

14. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

How do i get ahold of this jeff character?

15. JasonoJordan

Email. I'll pm you his address.

Takalak likes this.
  16. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Mark me down for another in the "JTAG or GTFO" group when it comes to alignment and chassis stuff. For "normal" alignments on stock cars he's competitive with chain stores, except he gives a ****. For specialty/performance alignments there is no substitute.

No need for mystery. :)

http://www.thealignmentguy.com/contact.htm

He has an old yahoo address but the above worked just fine when I needed him last week.

To reiterate (trust me, this is important):

1. Don't be late.
    2. Do park out front and walk in. Don't park behind his door.
    3. Do not under any circumstances (other than him explicitly instructing you to), try to walk around the counter with the stools in front of it and the "no customers beyond this point" sign.
    4. Don't be an ass in general. He has no patience for that. Be respectful, you're in his house. You get back what you bring in.
    5. Do enjoy the most care you're likely to ever see put into an alignment.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    TMF and joebush44 like this.
  17. JasonoJordan

I don't like throwing peoples emails out on forums just because robot spams.

18. SurlyOldManMN

Hmmm, fair point. Updated.

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Well said Surly! I'm also firmly in the JTAG or GTFO group...I even have a shirt to prove it lol. Treat him with respect (just like any other human) and you will get respect.

Oh, one more thing:

#6: He may say, "I hate this, I don't want to do it any more." Don't worry, he's probably just mad at the car and the job, not you personally. Unless you failed at being respectful.

20. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I've been to Jeff maybe 4 or 5 times. He can be a cranky curmudgeon and has a low tolerance for stupidity or last-minute changes, but he does seem to have a good heart. Just show him that you value his time.

He's worth whatever he asks you to pay, which in my experience has been very reasonable. While most places put your car in the manufacturer's alignment 'range' he'll put it spot where you ask him and make each side match within about a degree. There is a reason why a lot of guys with very expensive classic sports cars go to him.

Takalak likes this.
  21. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

How often is good to get an alignment on the Subarus? I had one last winter after some suspension work was done. Back tires were wearing out SUPER fast. Is this an annual thing to plan for? Had it done by a real nice fella at the dealership in WBL.

22. SurlyOldManMN

At least annually. I try shoot for one within a few weeks of swapping wheels, so, every six months or so.

23. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

Thanks dude

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

If you ask Jeff, you don't need another alignment after it's been done.

But, if you change suspension parts (wheels don't count), or perhaps hit something real hard, then you need to get the alignment checked/completed. If you have aftermarket suspension parts that are prone to moving (ahem, camber bolts), then yes, more frequent alignment checks is smart.

25. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I've got an appointment with Jeff on Monday. :thumbup:

26. SurlyOldManMN

You may also require more frequent alignments if you happen to be a certified pothole location and analysis expert who leverages suspension geometry and physics as an integral part of their efforts.

TMF and tangledupinblu like this.
  27. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Lmao, qft