Lifting my impretza?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Dynapar, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Recently i have been hearing rumors about SNOW which i hope are true. although i love snow, i dont like being stuck in it. this is my first year driving a car in teh snow. last year a drove a 94 nissan pathfinder w/ offroad tires, and i made it through just fine, except for one instance. but thats another story.
    so yesterday i jacked up my car and started cranking on my coilovers. backs went up just fine. i raised it up almost to the top. maybe 3.5" up. on the front i expeirenced some problems with ride hieght, not being equal[xx(]. anyway i raised the fornt about 3 inches. now my car looks like a monster truck}:). i could throw on some 16" rims w/ 30s on em from my dads truck. anyway chux we should find some good snow this winter and hit it up.

any one have a private lake???? that would be fun!!!!:D:D

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yes, if I can get my ticket taken off my record, my dad my let me take the gl up with me. provided I do the rear disc brake swap, and some good snow tires on it. That'd be AWESOME!!!!! lol, I'm so tired :p

3. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

You might need to talk to Morgan about oversized tires. I wonder how your car looks like now... :)

4. morganm

morganm New Member

Check the bolt pattern on those truck rims; make sure they will even bolt on.

30"s on an Impreza? WOW You sure those struts cranked you up THAT high? Pretty easy way to find out... jack it up on one corner, take off your current rim/tire and rill up that 30". Set it in the wheel well and find out!

Good luck :mrgreen:

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

hmm....something tells me that he was exaggerating his lift, if I remember correctly, he lowered it 4 inches front and back with the new springs, so he would still be sitting lower than stock, unless he meant 3" ABOVE stock, in which case, HOLY CRAP!!!!

6. Dynapar

yeah chux it went up 3 inches over stock, so i am sitting pretty 7 inches off the ground! LOL:D i wish. i am just alittle under stock hieght. i was exxagerating about those 30s too. although i think they might fit, they are horrid in snow, so its no gain.

7. Fantik

Fantik Guest

please post pics

8. Dynapar

it just looks stock now, i have to say it looks better lowered. alot better

9. trevize1138

trevize1138 New Member

I've driven cars in snow for 14 years now, everthing from a '72 Beetle to a '93 Civic hatch back. I got stuck once in my Beetle in frozen mud ruts and had to pay $20 to get towed out of there. One day I was unable to get out of my driveway in my Civic and had to get a ride to work from a friend.

That's it. 14 years of North Dakota/Minnesota car driving and those are my stuck-in-the-snow stories.

Since '02 I've been driving stock Imprezas in Winter and I can say with confidence that if this car is stuck in the snow on the way to work it will only be due to two things:

* I was driving way too fast on an icy highway and am now mired in 5' of deep snow in the ditch. If I were driving an SUV, I'd be on my roof, of course ;)

* I decided to drive to the store to get milk during the heaviest snowfall the city has seen in decades. A snowfall so heavy that the entire city is shut down and no travel is recommended unless you have a 4X4 with chains ... and even then it's not recommended.

Guess I wouldn't worry about snow if you've got an Impreza. Put some BF Goodrich Traction T/As on it and you'll be passing SUVs all winter long *and* have a shorter stopping distance due to superior traction and lighter weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.