Local ice racing

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by MNAutomatic, Jan 10, 2005.

1. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Does anyone know of any places that are fairly close where you could take your car out? I know there has to be somewhere were people regularly run their cars and checked for pressure ridges and what not. Me and a couple of buddies really wanna goof around and test our AWD but dont wanna take some stupid chances. We live in the western suburbs but are willing to drive if anyone has some ideas

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

http://www.glacierlakesqclub.org/

Ice Driving at Lake Cynthia will start as scheduled with our first event on Sunday, January 23rd. All events will be limited to *40 participants and online registration for the first event will open on Wednesday, January 12th.

*Audi guys get first hand pick, if there's any open spot the non-Audi guys will get those.

3. Grimm

Grimm New Member

I don't know of any plowed sections right now. Wasn't worth it earlier. Lakes were too thin. When I was a kid we used to do it right off of the boat landing in wyazeta on lake minnitonka....

4. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

*Audi guys get first hand pick, if there's any open spot the non-Audi guys will get those.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Maybe I should finish up on our ice racer ....

5. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Unreal...Every single qclub event is on the same sundays as my gokart league. Looks like I wont have to repaint my front bumper this year. :(

6. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

The ice out there is pretty good actually, the least I've personally seen lately is 12 inches, now you can through out a thousand disclaimers, areas that may have current are probably bad ice, and you can never really know if there are springs in the lake under the ice that could cause weak ice either. All that being said the ice seems to be top notch in a lot of areas, I'm finding atleast a foot of very nice clear ice in the past couple days, though I'm not brave enough to hot rod around on it. There is very little snow on the ice right now, plowing it wouldn't make much of any difference (right now), this is actually a pretty good year for ice.

A couple things you should keep in mind, running across the ice you make waves under the water so I'm not sure how fast you really can or should go, but I know you can run a fully loaded semi on enough ice and be "safe" unless they cause too much of a wave, which can hit shore are break the ice, causing them to go down.

Oh and if you do find a place you want to screw around on, please try and be courtious of the ice fishermen, drunk, grumpy ice fisherman are not so nice, especially if you threaten them in some way.

I would think an ice racing site would have so info on how to check ice conditions for "safe" driving.

Oh and do remember there is no such thing as 100% safe ice, ever.

7. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Yeah, we know there will never be perfectly safe ice but if someone could point towards some directions to check if the ice is think enough that would be awsome cause I can't find any. Strider are you talking about lake minnetonka exclusively or other lakes that you have been to? We are prolly gonna hit up lake minnetonka this weekend and look for area where alot of cars have traveled and do it there to get use to it.

8. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

you do know that if you get caught doing that you'll get a ticket. Becareful when you're out there. Lake Jane has about 13inch of ice and there are trucks and suv's out there. Lee,fuji and I manage to go make a few dounuts out there yesterday.

9. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

So what does it take to organize an event or get permission to drive on the ice in any fashion you desire? The quattro club and IIRA do their events every year and their costs don't seem very high.
    I could say that you can get a ticket for just about anything these days... but i won't }:)
    My guess is that if you own property on a lake and don't give anyone reason to gripe you wouldn't have much chance of a citation. Would probably need to work with the lake association (if one exists - or dnr?) if the event was more than a car or two.
    I'm also curious about precautions for lake driving, i've heard thicknesses of 12" and above are considered safe* for most cars, i'd probably be comfortable on anything over 2', but the problem of springs/current is an interesting one.
    *no ice driving is 100% safe of course

I'm interested in this for the same reason you are, MNAutomatic - to learn awd and have a little fun.

10. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Yeah that ticket aspect is a little crappy but I am agreeing that if you dont cause an uproar with anyone you shouldn't get anything. Could like take a hack saw and see how deep it is? Look at what kind of cars are out there and how many? Go only where others have traveled? Is looking through the ice in the area you are going to be using during the day enough? What about at night? Does anyone got any sort of guide or info that could answer these questions? I have searched around but came up with nothing.

11. Grimm

Grimm New Member

http://www.state.in.us/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishing/ice.htm

That is what the DNR has to say. We had about 9 I think for the ice race. One year it was 9 and there was a school buss out on the ice. (it didn't make the sweeper turns as well as the cars :eek:)) I would saw anything over 8 if you are going to thrash on the ice. You never know when you are going to hit a ridge and create a lot of down force....
    Just grab an electric drill and a 3 inch coring bit and you have no problems. Get one with an 8" bit and if it goes through.... don't bring your car on. Better safe than swiming.

12. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I want to drive on ice, too. IIRC, I was told that ice fishing starts when the ice is thicker then 6". Ice fishers park their big pick-ups on the ice all the time.

13. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

The ice conditions I posted about were on three local lakes, one being marion in lakeville, so as it looks there "should be" enough ice everywhere else providing there isn't any current.

My advice about not pissing off the ice fishermen is just because they are probably the most likely to call the cops on you, that's all. As long as you don't endanger any people on the ice, you may be able to talk yourself out of trouble by playing naive, that's my hope anyways :D

14. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

I never have done any drifting on the ice }:):D

15. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Grimm thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for but could not find. Now I just gotta find that drill bit and check out where I be going. Can't wait to sping my car in circles going 30 or maybe a little faster}:) Anyone else around the wayzata area wish to go out. All are welcome but I am only saying wayzata as it is quite a drive for some.

16. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

You'll have to have high levels of grip on the ice to be doing 30 mph doughnuts. My car doesn't want to turn at 30 mph. It plows ahead. What you can do for fun is set up cones around the area and try not to hit them at your speed. The reason is is that doughnuts get boring fast.

17. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Yeah, me and my friend were looking through our houses for cones to do like an obstacle course or timed run of some sort. Doughnuts would be fun but there is snow on lake minnetonka so I think I might be able to do them. I am also excited to get going like 20 or so and pull the e-brake to just spin my car in circles while still traveling forward.

18. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

Yeah spin the same spot and you gonna make you own ice drill hole even bigger tho. LOL

19. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

i had my fun at lake jane.....wasnt planning to go fishing at all.....purpose: drift that lake to hell......J/K....it was fun...

20. hercules

hercules New Member

hey fellaz i've been ice fishin and drifting for the past few weeks on my day off...purdy much all the lakes are 12ft or thicker now...some good lakes i've been on are Bald Eagle,Lake Riley,Silver lake,and some other secluded lakes north of hwy36...i wouldnt be messing around wid lakes in town though...when tha fish aint bitting im sliding around on the lake....

21. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

lake minnetonka has well over 2 feet of ice, its safe, i saw a forester drive through a channel!:eek:

22. Scidmark

Scidmark New Member

Well I dunno about you guys but whenever it snows I go around nearby neighborhood streets and drift around. I get crowds going. Its really scary but I love the thrill!