Looking for my first Subaru

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by Marvin D., Feb 1, 2017.

1. Marvin D.

Marvin D. New Member

Hey everyone, just joined here and I'm currently looking to join the Subaru club. I'm think about getting a new or used WRX right now but don't know what to do. I like the 15+ year wrx because of the low turbo kick in at 2k. I don't know yet if i want to get a new 16 or 17 wrx or if i should get a used one. Also there is the new wrx sucks that the sti didn't get any love but oh well. Would love to hear what you guys think since most of you roll in the cars that i would like. Let me know if the sti is or should be a option for me. Thanks for reading.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Unlimited budget?

Welcome!

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Resale on 2-3 year old wrx is pretty strong. You'll almost definitely get better financing on a new one, offsetting the small discount on a used one.

Re: sti vs wrx the new price difference is substantial. Unless you're thinking of getting a used one in that 25-30k range. In which case I'd personally start looking at modded, used sti's (assuming you aren't only looking at 5th gen/late 4th gen imprezas). Really depends on what you want out of the car. Reliable and covered for the longest time under factory warranty? Get a new wrx and leave it alone.

drac77 likes this.
  4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Both models are capable enough from the showroom floor to get your license taken away. That being said if you plan on doing the track thing regularly or are one of these 1/4 mile type guys then I would lean towards STI as the tuner market is flooded with go faster parts for the EJ engine. Otherwise for a daily driver that you want to have fun in and no more than that the choice would be WRX. I would recommend you wait until late April if you can, the 2018 refreshed models will be available and the noise reduced interiors and updated front ends in my opinion are worth the wait. Good luck and welcome!

6. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

New is the way to go (if you can afford it) as others have mentioned resale value is huge in the used market so prices will be high. New car financing is better, a new car wont have worn out clutches, brakes, tires, and unknown driver history. New cars come with great warranties. Aside from that the new generation is the best to this date for performance. Really the only down side is the lack of hatchback.

Mike

7. Marvin D.

Marvin D. New Member

Sweet, Thanks everyone I think I will wait till mid spring when the 2018 model comes out yeah I agree the front looks sweet an those new seats will be really nice as well. Does anyone go to the MN auto show? think it would be a good idea to see everyone there and hang out and look at new cars.

8. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

Marvin, I have had both a WRX and 2 STi's. If you want something comfortable go with the WRX.
    I went from an 06' STi to a 13' WRX and the difference wasn't super noticeable. Granted 5 vs 6 spd, and some other differences, but the car pulled just as hard and still had the great Subie sound. But, I was missing the giant wing of my STi, and the 6 spd, so I ended up leasing a 2015. Going used in my opinion, unless you plan on going back to like 13' model year you would be better off buying brand new. I would have to recommend you talk to Scott Putnam at Minnetonka Subaru. He specializes in WRX/STi and was really the only dealer I would ever go back to. All around awesome guy, and he even let me test drive his personal car as there were no STi's on the lot at that time.
    With that being said, and you dont mind the bit harsher ride the STi will give, I would always recommend that over the WRX.
    My 2 cents.

9. Marvin D.

Marvin D. New Member

Sweet thanks for the advise and yeah we will have to see if they change it up for the new 18 models for ride condition that's the only thing that would change my mind on getting the sti over the wrx. I don't think I could handle the stiffness in the sti as a daily driver.

10. slacker

slacker Well-Known Member

Hi Marvin, welcome! The WRX is really a great car. A little biased since I am in the process of picking up one this week. Also as STi_From_DSM said, go to Scott at Morries. I'll save you the hassle of shopping anywhere else. Just go to Morries and look for Scott PUTNAM. (There is another Scott there)

STi_From_DSM likes this.
  11. Marvin D.

Marvin D. New Member

thanks and everyone has been so nice and will do when I go there and I have heard almost everyone say to go there and buy my car