LSPR

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by RichWRX, Aug 29, 2004.

1. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

Now that the bemidji rally is over, who is going to LSPR in October

2. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

That one I will be at. Conveniently my parents just built a cabin west of Houghton on the shores of Lake Superior. And sorry but it's full up, the team my brother crews for will likely be staying out there with us.

3. android

android Guest

Isn't that a really long drive from here?

4. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I was curious too. Minneapolis to Houghton on Yahoo Maps, using what appears to be a hugely inefficient route, was 364 miles. I assume that using state highways in Wisconsin instead of going through Duluth like it plotted would save quite a bit of mileage and time.

5. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

6-7 hours to get to my parents' new cabin outside of Houghton. There are two equally awful routes to take. Either go up to Duluth and take US 2 all the way into MI and then I think it's 41 up to Houghton, or go across at Taylor's Falls and take Hwy 8 over to 41 and up from there. US 2 still has some road construction to slow you down and WI 8 has speedbump towns all along the way. Less likely to get ticketed on the open stretches of US 2 though, there are state police everywhere on hwy 8. I prefer taking US 2 just because the trip is a bit more scenic and I like stopping in Ashland for a break. I make the trip in 6 hours and I don't push the limits very much at all. Not really long, but I've made the trip several times so it seems less to me.

Definitely worth it: there is better spectating to be had at this rally and it just really is a scenic place to be that time of year. Plus there are some FANTASTIC roads to take a drive on. I highly suggest finding time to take M22 along the western/northern shoreline on the way up to Copper Harbor when the stages are being run up that way. Very tight twisties AND a great view. It's paved, but you can't have your cake and eat it too :p

6. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

Its 330 miles from where I live in Orr, takes around 5 hrs. I wouldnt miss it for anything.