Major knock need help

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jacbri, Apr 30, 2009.

1. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

05 SAAB 92x (WRX)
    just hit 52K
    Car purchased in Maine last sept, owner stated never any mods, but it was sitting for a while before it sold. Synthetic oil- due for change within one week.

Tue- up pipe install, slight ticking around 3k on way home from Flatlines place

wed- downpipe and sti catback.... still ok

thurs- tune with bullwinkle (we have a cell clip.... sorry not very good) the knock became louder with each run...... I have no idea what to do... I am in major need of someone to take a look tomorrow

Ill be taking off work tomorrow, Im afraid to drive the car....Bullwinkle thinks it may be major and has never seen this happen with stage 2.

This is a really bad time for me, im going back to school in 4 wks, my wife is pissed at me for doing this in the first place.... sorta embarrassing...

ok well here is an audio clip if I can get it to upload (EDIT-Trying to get a better audio clip)

Guys im at your mercy I need major help here

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/jacbri/?action=view&current=MVI_5188.flv

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

i'm guess 02-05 wrx?
    sounds like rod knock

3. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

sorry just updated original post, ya 05 92x (wrx)

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

His car is an 05 9-2x - IE 05 WRX.

Logs didn't show anything out of the ordinary and I thought it was his exhaust rubbing/hitting something initially, but it got pretty loud pretty quickly and when we opened up the hood, it certainly sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine.

I think Brian just needs someone more knowledgeable then me about engine rebuilds to take a look.

5. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Yes, reminds me of the 3 engines i've seen with rod bearing issues.
    2 were 2.0, the other was a two point two tee.

6. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

did you drive it hard without a tune?

7. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

no, I drove it very soft, no boost at all.

8. Cubby

Cubby New Member

The cell phone clip is pretty crappy but you can definitely hear the knock at the beginning of each rev. Don't start it up anymore unless you need to.

Drain oil, check for metal flakes sitting at the bottom of your drain pan (should be lots of it if this is what I think it is). Go from there.

9. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

I have to work tomorrow, but was thinking of taking the day off.... or I could get a ride to work and make calls and figure out whats going on. VIDEO CLIP COMING.

10. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

11. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

I dont know what it is but it doesn't sound good. Good luck, hope its not major

12. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

That most definitely sounds like a loose connecting rod. The bearing may not have slid under itself yet, but it will soon if you run it much more.

Don't forget to replace the oil cooler. You'll never get all the metal flakes out of it.

13. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

That sounds like rod knock to me. Welcome to the 2nd engine club.

14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

New motor time. Another good/bad sign is when you turn it off and you get the rattle. At that point the motor is just spinning down, so you are not creating pressure on the top of the pistons, so the rods will just bounce off the crank journals.

Russ

15. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

ok thanks for the DX.....guys I need options here on whats the best way to go about this. My warranty expired just a month or so ago.... this is just bad bad timing. Also was there something I could have done to avoid this???

16. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

just told the wife the news, man I feel horrible, like a total jackass. I tell her stage 2 is very reliable and then come home needing a new ****ing engine!

17. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I don't think it had anything to do with Stage 2. I'm not a mechanic though.

18. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

I know too, just really bummed... She gave me a ride to work today so I had to hear it the whole way.

19. Cubby

Cubby New Member

Only thing you can really do? Check the oil more often, and don't let it get more than half a quart low, if it really was stock when you bought it. You don't really know how the previous owner treated the car before you bought it, and I'm not just talking driving or mod-wise, I'm also talking maintenance-wise.

20. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Yup, I've heard Rod Knock on a few 2.0L motors and that sounds like knock. :emo:

When was the last time you changed the oil? What is the condition of the oil? Do you have any major oil leaks?

Either way I'm very sorry, but I agree that it's more than likley time for a new short block.

21. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

oil was due for changing within a week- Synthetic oil, no oil smell, never any leaks

So I talked to Saab, they will look at it.... no guarantees, they said they need oil records. They also said top it off with oil and see if the knock goes away?

22. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that man. GL with the build. Tell your wife that car was mistreated by previous user and it was not your fault that engine died.

23. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

24. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

...mobil one?

25. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

pardon the noob question but, these cars have subaru motors in them? I don't know anything about saabs.

26. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Yes, the Saab 9-2x is a Subaru WRX wagon :biggrin: pretty hot actually. I think they made it a little bit quieter and put an STi steering rack in it. Not sure why the Subaru/Saab/GM came about but sadly it was short lived :(

OP sound pretty similar to my first motor, I feel your pain but on the bright side it could be worse who knows the block could be salvageable. GL!

27. morganm

morganm New Member

Wife needs to understand that cars break and usually at the worst time. Was it the stage 2 upgrades that actually caused this? Doubt it. Were they a significant contributing factor to accelerating a problem you weren't aware of until now? Likely! It's not about who's right or wrong on what caused the problem it's about how you are going to fix the problem.

You need to understand her fruastration and talk to her about how WE are really going to solve this problem. If it means cutting your losses, selling the thing, and moving on then so be it. If it means you have the money saved and can rebuild the short block then so be it. Talk to her and figure it out.

28. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

ill check when I get home... plan is to take it to saab at 2pm

29. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

ok car x found small slivers of metal in the oil, I believe the sticker in the window says syn 1.... not sure which brand.

Currently the car is at the dealership they stated that they may do it out of goodwill if I provide a few more maintenance records which I have..... we will see what the outcome is....

30. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Best of luck man, I hope the dealership don't say the stage 2 caused it..

31. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

I had something similar to this happen to me one time when I was tuning a car on the road. Turns out that the oil return on the turbo came loose and the car lost like 3 quarts of oil the day before the tuning session. That was enough to cause a fatal blow -- and the straw that broke the camel's back happend the first time the car got above 5k on the tach the next day.

Oh and by the way....Mobil 1 oil sucks. :p

32. Scuba Steve

:eek4:you probably were smelling oil burn on your pipes?

33. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

It was overpowered from the smell of the melting A/C drain hose on his downpipe. :eek4:

34. TwistedTunerz

TwistedTunerz New Member

man that sucks about the engine, stage 2 wouldnt have had anything to do with it you prob just heard the tick louder when you put the dp on etc, hopefully you saab with toss a new engine your way...keep us posted.

35. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

Update

I think we are at the 3rd step, talking to saab corp and district manager.... the service supervisor is all for replacing the engine, he has even stated he knows what caused it.... its saab corp thats dragging their feet. Remember same car, but saab has a 5 yr 50K mile warranty and subaru has a 5 yr 60k. When I brought the car in it just hit 53K.... cars been at dealership exactly 1 week today and my next "phone appointment" is scheduled for monday.

36. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Good luck, hope the replace it for ya

37. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

did he tell you what he thinks caused it?

38. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

He said Rod #4 was loose

39. Snowbum

Snowbum Well-Known Member

Loose tolerances on the rod bearing, so no oil starvation of the bearing?

40. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

snowbum,
    not sure, will find out today.... they did find metal shavings in the oil pan.

41. vanddelor

vanddelor Well-Known Member

wouldn't stage 2 void any warranty on the car? do you at least make it look and sound stock-ish..??

42. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

Update

After 3 long weeks GM has decided to cover 50% of the new shortblock. Only problem at this point is they ordered the 2.5 block instead of the 2.0 and have stated the wait is now 1 month! I start school next Tuesday so this is going to be a real pain in the ass. Anyhow I am grateful they are helping me regardless of the exp warranty.

43. Scuba Steve

too bad they wouldn't put the 2.5L block in there.:yumyum:

Congrats though, it could've been much worse.

44. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Uhh.. the way I read that is they did order the 2.5 block Dave..

45. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, but probably have to send it back and get a 2.0L block.

The delay sucks, but glad they're covering some of the cost! :)