Make Sense?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 05subieGT, Mar 22, 2018.

1. 05subieGT

05subieGT Well-Known Member

So, yesterday I was heading back from Madison for work, in the work vehicle, which is a 2016 Forester. I haven't had any issues with the car, it only has 15k miles on it. But yesterday while I was cruising down I90/94 with the cruise control on and the car suddenly started to decelerate and the RPMs started climbing toward redline. It was as if I had downshifted two gears on the freeway, but the climb was a little slower. I pulled off to the side of the road, turned it off and put it into park. The car was not to start again and had to get towed back into Madison. I found myself a hotel down the road and stayed for the night. Well today I went back to the dealership and before they looked at it, for fun, I tried to start the car. It fired right up with no issue, no warning lights, like nothing had happened. Once the dealership took a look, they decided that the issue was low fuel....what?? yes, my fuel was "low" but the fuel light hadn't even turned on yet. Has anyone heard of similar issues? or experienced anything like that? having low fuel doesn't seem like it would cause the car to behave that way, if anything I would think the RPMs would drop and the car would "buck" if I were having fueling issues....just odd!

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

i don't see how this could have been low fuel since it started up fine the next day?
    the car isn't old enough to have sediment in the gas tank, so no that doesn't make sense..

3. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Agreed, while overseas I have ridden in vehicles that had just filled up with dirty gas and the experience was similar to running out of fuel, bucking and then cutoff. I would demand to have the transmission inspected thoroughly.

4. 05subieGT

05subieGT Well-Known Member

Yeah it didn't make sense to me either. I figured I popped the transmission but when it started the next day I had no idea what happened. I probably won't demand it gets inspected...just because if it does go boom...poppa gets a brand new car from work.

pcwerk likes this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

CVT? Sounds to me like the computer started changing ratios for some reason. Anyone know if a CVT has a "limp home" mode?

pcwerk likes this.
  6. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Odd

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I was thinking CVT as soon as i read his post as well.

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Best part is "company vehicle". Next best type of transportation right after "rental car".

EricS, silver03, MrBlue and 1 other person like this.
  9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You get a ‘like’ and a Lmfnao for that one.