MiniVan

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Chux, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

My dad has had this van for more than 100k miles. But, he hit a deer on I-35 near Pine City this summer...

He bought a "new" van, and was talking about selling this one for scrap. So, last weekend:
    [​IMG]
    20210926_095733 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I stopped at Upull on the way home, and got a bumper, hood and fender, in color:
    [​IMG]
    20210926_174424
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

On Tuesday, I spent some time cutting the damaged crap out so I could make a parts list and start sourcing what it needs. I bolted the good hood to the hinges:
    [​IMG]
    20210927_181532
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Core supports came in to Krenzen Honda today, I'll pick those up after work.

Tomorrow is the Pull-a-thon at UPull, and I hope to get most of the other parts. I don't plan to use a used radiator or condenser, but I plan to pull just about everything else.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Flickr pictures never show up here for some reason.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Curious as to what you will have into the repairs once it’s all said and done!

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'm amazed the washer tank is still holding fluid.

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, I can't figure that out. I've messed with every combination of formatting I can think of, and it doesn't work here. Works on the few other forums I frequent. So I gave up, and just post it as-is, and maybe in some future update they'll show up inline. Or, you'll just have to click them to see them.

I keep a detailed spreadsheet. OEM list price for everything I need is about $3k. With my pull-a-thon haul this weekend, it'll probably be less than $800.

Washer tank, coolant tank, and A/C system all holding!

tangledupinblu and pillboy like this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

UPull had their Pull-a-thon last weekend. Everything you can carry 20 feet for $75.

I got a pair of headlights, both fans, all 3 reservoirs (coolant, PS and washer), radiator mounts, condenser mount, and OEM transmission cooler (used on dealer-installed trailer hitches). As well as a diff lock motor for my Tacoma, and steering wheel for my Celica.
    [​IMG]20211002_115339 by Numbchux, on Flickr

A minute with the buffer, and the headlights cleared right up:
    [​IMG]20211002_150654 by Numbchux, on Flickr

tangledupinblu and pillboy like this.
  7. tangledupinblu

How did you carry all of that!? A bedsheet over your shoulder!?

pillboy likes this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I also got a passenger seat out of an econoline van (my dad needs the mount for this RV), and stacked it all on the seat.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Bedsheet wouldn't be allowed unless you found it in a car there. Seatbelts and fenderliners make great satchels!

10. tangledupinblu

I could see how a fender liner would be pretty helpful. If you use the utility knife, you could even make a couple of quick handles! Lol

11. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Convertible top. Or a soft tonneau cover.

euro likes this.
  12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

My plan B was a middle row floor mat (full width) from that same van.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  13. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Since Flickr is the suck when posting to this site, I peeped the whole photosteam and it went from a pic of the van to an EJ motor and at first glance I thought "ah damnit, there he goes again... EJ powered Hoddesey" :)

tangledupinblu and Chux like this.
  14. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Lol, now that would be a downgrade!

My son "helping" me remove and/or straighten the damaged:
    [​IMG]
    url=https://flic.kr/p/2mzMUCD]20211007_181749[/URL] by Numbchux, on Flickr

Test fit with the new upper support. If you look closely, you can see that the vertical support on the other side is pushed back an inch or so. But I was able to straighten this one out enough.
    [​IMG]
    20211008_173741
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

And, welded in. The red spots are primer over the welds. I don't have a spot welder, so I did a bunch of stitch welding on the edges, and drilled through one layer for a plug weld in some places. Used weld-through primer on the sections that would not be accessible once assembled, then implement primer and black paint over the top.
    [​IMG]
    2021-10-18_10-03-05
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

I started it up on Saturday to move it over to the garage....and someone ripped off the cat converter, right from my driveway. Didn't touch anything else, but now they've scoped me out. So, a good chunk of my project budget went into some security cameras this week.

15. tangledupinblu

Damn thieves! That sucks man. Good progress :thumbup:

16. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I spend an hour on it here or there. Put the headlights on yesterday and test fitted the bumper:
    [​IMG]2022-01-26_04-37-30 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Still need to install the A/C condenser, transmission cooler, some hoses, and a few other little things.

Oh yea, and weld a new cat in it....

With the aftermarket cat and 02 sensor (about $200), air filter, ATF filter and spark plugs (~$75), I'm into it about $1100.

MidnightImpreza likes this.
  17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

[​IMG]20220201_154116 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I've driven it a few times. Many warning lights on the dash, couple other electrical gremlins.

Brake pedal feel was awful, and rear brakes made a horrible noise. But, I found a box of new pads in the van, apparently it needed those before. Thanks, Dad! I decided to slap those in and inspect the other components while I was at it. One of the LR pads had separated, and half the friction material was wedged between the rotor and caliper bracket. That would cause some strangeness!
    [​IMG]
    20220204_142014
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

One of the error codes is for a knock sensor. I was able to see that the wire was severed, but it's a much bigger job to get down in there to replace anything:
    [​IMG]
    20220208_131656
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

I got the gaskets and such ordered up. The knock sensor itself is a sub harness, and the Honda replacement is cheap ($8 or so), and apparently comes with a rodent-repellent sleeve over it.

There is a fair bit of oil in the intake, and the EGR passages look awful. So some deep cleaning and a new PCV valve will be happening.

I replaced the spark plugs, too. Honda does a really good job of making maintenance items accessible. There's plenty of room to get the rear bank plugs out without removing anything. There are 2 front cylinders that are kind of close to the radiator support, but they put a hole in the support that you can pass a socket extension through.
    [​IMG]
    20220208_135658
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

18. euro

euro Well-Known Member

She's dead, time to swap that engine into an 80s crx :D

Chux and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Spark plugs, knock sensor harness, knock sensor, gaskets, and cleaned EGR ports, and it runs fantastically, now.

It occurred to me that I never shared the picture from last summer. My parents have a butternut tree in their yard, and the squirrels filled the engine bay of this van with butternuts while it sat there:
    [​IMG]
    2022-02-16_07-34-36
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

20. tangledupinblu

That is nuts!!

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Misfire came back. It was throwing P0300 and P1399 (multiple misfires) as well as 3-5 individual cylinder codes. After testing anything I could think of that would cause random multiple misfires (fuel pressure, cleaned EGR ports, blocked off the EGR valve, etc.), I read a post saying that these ECUs cannot accurately tell which/how many cylinders are misfiring. So I started unplugging coils and testing. Sure enough, only one cylinder was dead. Swapped the coil with the adjacent, and the symptom followed. New coil, and it's been running great for more than a week.

My dad was up last weekend in his "new" van. I couldn't help but take a picture of them side-by-side.
    [​IMG]
    2022-03-07_12-55-29
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Still has an airbag fault, I've been experimenting with a program/cable that should allow me to diagnose that from my laptop, but so far, unsuccessful.

22. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Update. obdii365.com can suck it. I couldn't get their HDS cable/software to connect. When I emailed them, they edited the listing to say that the Odyssey is not supported (I checked a cached version of the page, that line was not there before I emailed). I finally got them to accept a return, but they won't back down on return shipping (to Taiwan...).

Bought a used Innova 3100RS scanner on ebay, and it will read airbag codes. Code was for the passenger seatback sensor. I picked up a grey leather seat at Upull, and swapped the occupant detection parts into my seat. Still have to initialize the used unit. Going to see if the scanner at work can do it, or I might just have Krenzen Honda do it (it still has an open Takata airbag recall, so it has to go there, anyway).

But, I finally put the finishing cosmetic touch on it. the grill:
    [​IMG]
    2022-04-10_06-31-16
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Looks so good!

23. tangledupinblu

Man, can’t even tell that it was smashed up! Nice work Matt!