MNBD's '98 Legacy GT ::Build Thread::

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MNBD, Mar 25, 2013.

1. MNBD

MNBD Member

I had NO idea what I was getting in to with this car...Well I thought I did, but it's turned in to a project 5 times the size I thought it would be. BUT, I'm glad it's come to this as I think I've pieced together a pretty good budget build.

I bought this car summer of 2012 with the intentions of using it this winter. Well, things changed, I moved back home and here I am, spring of 2013; just getting around to finishing it now. I sold my Silverado, and have set that as my cash budget goal. So I have been diligently price shopping, and being as frugal, but sensible as possible. Trading for parts, buying used instead of new have all played a huge factor in the build so far. But of course, I can't forget the great deals and help I've gotten from members I've met on here. Your willingness to answer my questions and pass great deals on to me will never be forgotten!

Anyway, on to the goods. Here's the setup.

-EJ22T block
    -EJ22T crank
    -ACL bearings
    -STi rods
    -WRX oil pan
    -EJ22E genuine Subaru MLS head gaskets
    -EJ22T pistons (Stock)
    -EJ205 heads (Stock)
    -Side feed TGV deletes
    -WRX intake manifold
    -WRX throttle body
    -Grimmspeed 3-port BCS
    -WRX MAF
    -'06 WRX TMIC
    -TiAL bov
    -VF37
    -STi Yellow side feeds
    -STi FPR
    -Walboro 255
    -Catless twin-scroll downpipe
    -3" exhaust

-'03 WRX ECU
    -Rom Raider tune
    -AEM UEGO wideband
    -92 octane
    -A standard outfit of Auto Meter gauges.

-'03 WRX suspension
    -WRX subframe
    -WRX cross-member
    -WRX hubs
    -WRX brakes
    -WRX axles (I think that's what the PO told me. I forgot.)

-5 speed from an '01 Outback
    -WRX flywheel
    -Exedy stage ? clutch (Undecided of which one yet)

Once the motor is straightened out the transmission is next. I'm still deciding between 5/6 speeds, aggressive acceleration or a longer close ratio road racing gearset, final drive, differentials etc... That's a few months out from now.

I have NO idea what this setup will make. But from what I've read it should be a fun car when it's done. I'll be pulling the motor and swapping heads first. Then I'll pull the interior and wiring out to finish merging my harnesses. Hopefully get the clutch broken in and tuned by the end of next month.

[​IMG]

Current setup with EJ25D heads
    [​IMG]

The start of my harness merge
    [​IMG]

VF37 setup
    [​IMG]

Finished labeling the WRX harness
    [​IMG]

That's all I have for now! I'll keep the updates coming as best I can.
    ----------------------------
    March 26, 2013

Picked up the 205 heads tonight. Can't thank Ryan enough for the great deals he's been passing along to me.

I should be able to clean the garage out so I can pull the motor this weekend. Once I get it back together, I'll start on the wiring. And hopefully, when it's all back together I'll be able to burn some corn with you guys this year!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

very cool, I hope the build turns out well! Would be nice to see a well done, old skool LGT.

MNBD likes this.
  3. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Nice to see another BDGT around here!
    You're doing what I was going to do, before I had kids.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Subie Lovers and MNBD like this.
  4. MNBD

MNBD Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to keep to the late-'90's theme going if possible. Find a set of sweet mid/late 90's wheels, and drop it just a touch more.

I fear of having kids and being forced to stop or sell my project car! lol Call me selfish but project cars have been a part of my life since I was 16. I really look forward to this summer where I can get out and get to some forum events. See what this thing can really do

5. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

MOAR LGT's!

Looking forward to watching this progress.

MNBD likes this.
  6. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Gonna be a sweet little sleeper.

MNBD likes this.
  7. Terry Ammerman

If you are looking for a trans, I have a 94 JDM WRX 5 speed with about 45k on it. Will bolt right on the 2.2 and can be either pull or push style clutch.

8. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

Yay for another wrx swapped BD in out midst, I love mine!

MNBD likes this.
  9. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Depending on how aggressive of tune you do I'd be saving immediately for a 6spd or dogbox setup

10. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Asking price?

11. Terry Ammerman

750?

12. MNBD

MNBD Member

Thanks everyone! I really like the sleeper look these things give off too. There's some rust I want to fix, and I dented my front right fender this winter with the truck. But, that can wait. I just wanna go fast again!

As far as drivetrain goes, I am STRAPPED for cash at the moment. So I'll be rocking the 4.11 Outback trans until she pops. And when she does it'll be right to a non-dccd 6-speed. But I appreciate the offer Terry!

Also,

::Updates in the OP::

Terry Ammerman likes this.
  13. JasonoJordan

Out of curiosity why none-dccd

14. MNBD

MNBD Member

Heard it's considerably cheaper to get in to than one with dccd. lol Shows how little I've researched the drivetrain so far.

15. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I like legacies.

I shoulda bought the one surly just snagged, but he deserves/needed it more than I wanted it.

16. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It is cheaper. But DCCD is amazing, completely transforms the car.

17. MNBD

MNBD Member

After getting a ride in Jason's car this morning I'm definitely sold on a dccd 6-speed setup. The gearing is awesome with his vf setup.

18. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

I have never been able to find a non-dccd tranny did you have any luck?

19. MNBD

MNBD Member

I think I've seen one or two while glancing through the nasioc classifieds. But maybe I misunderstood? :unsure:

20. JasonoJordan

I think it was v7 or v8 sti had a none dccd

21. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

It was a JDM legacy thing. The v8 sti was the 2004 model, it had a dccd. The v7 did not.

JasonoJordan likes this.
  22. MNBD

MNBD Member

:unsure: I'll just sit over here in the corner and absorb as much of this as I can. :p

Very excited I get to start taking the car apart this weekend. Motor will be pulled and broken down Friday night. Saturday will be spent re-assembling, sorting out what little things I need, and after, I'll get the interior out and start tacking the wiring.

23. JasonoJordan

Edit: remembered that you were swapping into a leggy not a 2.2 into a wrx Lol.

24. MNBD

MNBD Member

Yep! I went old school because I couldn't afford an 11 year old WRX. LOL!

phi11 likes this.
  25. JasonoJordan

Wiring shouldn't be to bad. My friend and I did the wiring swap on a 2.5rs to wrx in 6hrs.

26. MNBD

MNBD Member

Yeah, it's really not as bad as people say it is. It really does look like a daunting task at first, but once you realize how little you need it gets easier.

Having the interior out will give me a chance to relocate my battery, wire in a cut-off switch, and get rid of that old car smell! Once the interior is out the plan is to go through with soap and water and clean everything under the interior panels. Maybe even get rid of some sound deadening while I'm in there.

27. MNBD

MNBD Member

Finally got the motivation to get the garage cleaned out and the slowbaru in.

Last shots before surgery!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

phi11 likes this.
  28. MNBD

MNBD Member

Made a little headway tonight. Tomorrow I should have the motor ready to pull, the harness out, and the rest of the interior out.

Here are some pictures of the progress I made in the garage tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I roughly test fitted the WRX gauge cluster before I took the dash panel out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. MNBD

MNBD Member

Found some weird looking stuff (looks like mold) throughout my HVAC system. Goodbye heat and A/C!

30. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

Bummer dude that sucks! no way of cleaning it out? also if you would like a ride in or drive my STi or my wife's your more than welcome, i'll mess with the dccd and show you how it changed the cars additude, and give you a few 1-4 wot pulls

31. MNBD

MNBD Member

I did clean some of it out, but I figure if it's in the blower motor and in the heater core housing it'll be in all the ducting. This must be why the air always smelled extra musty haha. This will free up space behind the dash I can use, and I can get rid of all the wiring and plugs related to HVAC operation making installation that much easier.

I will definitely take you up on a DCCD demo! I've never really had a chance to see how big of a difference it makes.

Made a little more progress tonight. Got the reset of the bulkhead harness out, and the engine ready to pull.

Before removing the harness and dash beam
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I had some help today too.
    [​IMG]

As it sits until I get an engine hoist and stand.
    [​IMG]

9blackmax6 likes this.
  32. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

33. derp

derp Well-Known Member

You want heat. Foggy windows suck.

phi11 likes this.
  34. MNBD

MNBD Member

Meh, I thought about keeping it, or trying to piece together clean parts, but it's just not worth my time at this point because racecar it's all coming out. My TSX is almost paid off, so by winter I'll have a different DD anyway.

I've always just kept a warm blanket and a few spare jackets for any freeze baby passengers.

35. MNBD

MNBD Member

Got the motor pulled last night. I couldn't believe how easy it was to get out. Once I got it unbolted from the transmission and realized there was only one bolt per lower mount I cracked the beers open and got a little sidetracked. Today will be spent getting the head clearances figured out, disassembling the brakes, putting my short shifter in and re-painting the block black.

[​IMG]

JACKRBT and phi11 like this.
  36. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

This picture is awesome on so many levels. Derpy dog hanging out with its Subaru-lovin' master in a half-gutted 2nd gen Legacy.

[​IMG]

MNBD likes this.
  37. MNBD

MNBD Member

That pretty much sums it up! She was whining when she was tethered outside the garage, so I cleared a spot and let her have it. I just might have to get her a blue/pink or blue/yellow collar now.

38. MNBD

MNBD Member

Tonight I pulled the n/a heads off, discovered I had headgaskets as thick as waffles, stripped the old chipped black paint off and shot it with some super high-temp silver paint.

Before
    [​IMG]
    During
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also decided that it makes sense to go with top feed injectors and change my fuel pump setup. I haven't decided exactly what yet, but I might toy with the idea of using a BAP.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  39. MNBD

MNBD Member

If my math is close to accurate 1300cc injectors should net me roughly 430awhp based on a base fuel pressure of 43psi. Which is right where I'd like to be I think. The injectors are small enough where I shouldn't have to worry about any low speed fueling issues either.

I will also be bringing the WRX heads in to work and start to build those the next few weeks. More details on these coming soon.

40. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looking good Jason!

phi11 and MNBD like this.
  41. MNBD

MNBD Member

Thanks Josh! I'll shoot you a text later about swinging over later this afternoon, or early evening.

42. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds good!

43. MNBD

MNBD Member

Well! What a few weeks it's been.

I've decided to pull the trigger on Ryan's '02 WRX wagon shell. This way I can swap ALL off the WRX wiring in and not have to worry about if a merged harness will work. I will also be swapping in the WRX interior, all the way down to the dash beam. I'm hoping I can go pick it up this weekend and start swapping stuff over.

I just haven't decided what I want to do with the bare shell. Racer? Back to stock DD? LS swap? Give it away? Scrap? Wait, no scrap....I'll give it away before I scrap it.

I should be able to get my heads done in the next few weeks, hopefully by that time I can get the WRX interior swapped over in to the Legacy.

LOTS of pictures to come.

44. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

This makes me sad.

45. MNBD

MNBD Member

Why does it make you sad?!