mnsubaru may be down on Thursday for a few hours

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jprice, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Some of you have noticed the site was intermittently nd randomly down the last few weeks. My old router which has had a rough live is breathing it's last few breaths and has been revived a couple of times. I got a new one this afternoon and it's time to flip off the life support on the other. I'm planning on doing it tomorrow (Wed) around midnight. Depending on what happens with IPs, you might not be able to access the site until your DNS server gets the update.

Thanks!
    -Jordan

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Thanks for the heads up!

3. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

You running this on your own broadband? What kind of hardware?

I've always wanted to run my own server but the whole "no broadband anywhere near my house" thing kinda ruins the fun.

4. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Setup:

Cable internet connection 384kbps upload max (2.5 mbps download) but upload is what matters for hosting.

Server = celeron 366A overclocked to 550 MHZ, running 2000 Server / IIS / WarFTP / mdaemon mail server. Currently 20 or so sites on there, most very low volume. Highest volume site is http://www.mnaudi.com , and now http://www.mnsubaru.com is second highest (and still a far cry from mnaudi.com traffic)

Hosting your own site is easy, but your ISP may or may not throw a stink about it. I know that AT&T cable (now comcast?) had incoming port 80 blocked for a while. (I think they lifted that block now.. it was due to worms exploiting IIS / indexing server vulnerability)

It's cheap, but it works. :)

5. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Jordan... got a few complaint from users who'd signed up but can't logon... they posted it on www.nasioc.com... might want to fix these folks up.

Later,

Da "V"

6. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Ok, good news.. NO DOWNTIME!!

By entering the MAC address of my old router, I was able to obtain the same IP address with the new router, so no downtime (well, was about 10 minutes)

-Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.