Money for parts is good

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by KaliforniaKid, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

So my brother sold a car that I still had in Cali, so I got some spending money for my car (with the new baby spending money was a thing of the past for me) the next thing I want to do is get an up pipe, any suggestions as to which to get, I was looking at the Helix flex pipe but some one said to get a pipe that comes with the studs already. If any one that has installed an up pipe can help me install mine that would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping to have it by this weekend. Does any one have Defi guages? how hard is it to install the control unit? I was thinking of replacing the OEM guage that I have now with a Defi BF. Thanks for nay help or advice.

-Chris

2. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

I don't have any firsthand experience with UPs (yet....), so I won't comment on that.

As far as Defi gauges go -- they are the best. I've been meaning to pick up a set, but the purchase of a Mitsubishi HDTV was calling my name instead. :D

3. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by KaliforniaKid

the next thing I want to do is get an up pipe, any suggestions as to which to get, I was looking at the Helix flex pipe but some one said to get a pipe that comes with the studs already<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh noess!!!!1 Yet another "which uppipe" thread. :p

4. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

I have done both. I have defi egt, oil pres. oil temp. hud boost. as for the up pipe I have a one off perrin for my application.

The debate is wether to use a flex or not. I cant think of a person on this list who has a flex version. It basically comes down to a proper install.

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just make sure you get a stainless uppipe and call it a day. Don't spend a ton of money on a uppipe. Don't worry about the flex or not, because in reality the flex is just a crutch for poor installation. The uppipe is bolted to the headers and the turbo, and the turbo is bolted to the head, so as long as you do a good tightening sequence, there will be no flex anywhere in the system.

Russ

6. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

I got the crucial racing up from daddysscp.com here:

http://www.daddysscp.com/cgi-bin/pl..._Code=DSCP&Product_Code=CRUPP&Category_Code=E

I just got it last week so I haven't had a chance to put it one yet, but it is very high quality from what I can tell. I also got the stromung ceramic coated dp here:

http://www.daddysscp.com/cgi-bin/pl...=DSCP&Product_Code=STRMTTDPCC&Category_Code=E

both came via UPS as an anniversary gift from my wife :)

Once I actually do the install, which will hopefully be within the next two weeks, I will do a little write up with the qwerks to look for. Good luck on your search.

7. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

I cant think of a person on this list who has a flex version. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You haven't looked hard enough. :p I don't know if my flex up-pipe increased the spool time of my VF30, but for a reference I start picking up boost at 3200 rpm.

I would assume Jet Hot coating an up-pipe would help with flow as well. Since it is not a big part, it shouldn't cost as much as a header. This procedure should only be done after you've installed it and it doesn't leak.

8. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

the real issue you may have is tapping the sensor for the EGT gauge, if you get one. everything else should be a snap.

9. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

10. kickin_81

Joel, did you have the UTEC program the ECU to create boost below 3200 rpm or is it just my car's tune/turbo?

11. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I dunno, maybe that's normal...my VF23 and your VF30 are VERY similar turbos, but you might have just that much more lag. I get excellent spool up with a combination of: turboback exhaust, high closed loop boost values during spool up RPM ranges, and slightly retarded ignition timing to increase EGTs during spool up.

Think of it this way: you say you are getting boost at 3200, I can have 18psi at about 3700. :)

12. morganm

morganm New Member

Never put in an up-pipe but you know me; I'm down for wrenching on most anything :) I was just talking to a guy who works at a speed ship when I was at a 4WD club meeting this last FRI. He was talking about doing an up and down pipe on a WRX. Said the worst part was the up-pipe and getting it OFF. ONce it was out it was easier to see what was going on and to install the new stuff.

I got the garage space and tools so just say when :)

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Wow, boost by 3200, I think I am 21-22psi by 37-3800. Find a uppipe, and if you want get it Jet hot coated (make sure you get the 2000+ degree coating) and install it. Don't worry about tring to install it to make sure it works, than removing it to get coated. You can also wrap the uppipe to make sure the heat stays inside the pipe. You can get the uppipe out with removing motor mounts and such. I have removed them from the top and the bottom without removing andthing weird.

Russ

14. kickin_81

Ok, here's my contribution. http://www.subarureview.com/viewbymodel.php?model=imprezawrx&category=engine
    If you have already been there, then feel free to go search for "up-pipe" or "uppipe" on www.nasioc.com or www.i-club.com. You'll find out that there's no definate answers and only biased ones. :p My word of advice: don't go the Ebay route.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WRX1

Wow, boost by 3200, I think I am 21-22psi by 37-3800.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Wow! 21+ psi and no knocking? What gas station(s) do you pump with? I'm willing to step up to 19 psi, but not that high for my daily driver. Has your setup been reliable?

My VF30, 3" APS exhaust, and huge APS intercooler could explain why my car isn't going nuts until 3200 rpm. I've read that the VF23 is a great all-around turbo that is strong from low to mid-range performance, but suffers a bit up top. I believe the VF30 is the other way around and gains a little more up top yet loses that much on the bottom.

15. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Be more specific...are you literally not seeing any positive manifold pressure until 3200 rpm? Or do you mean that's when boost really starts to come on hard?

I don't think the 23 and 30 are different enough to explain why you have so much more lag than me.

16. kickin_81

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

Be more specific...are you literally not seeing any positive manifold pressure until 3200 rpm? Or do you mean that's when boost really starts to come on hard?

I don't think the 23 and 30 are different enough to explain why you have so much more lag than me.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I start feeling it in the pants right after 3200 rpm.

Quoted from http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=13098:
    VF23
    This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24 for fast response and excellent low and mid-range performance. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker. Standard ball bearing center section. Excellent bolt-on replacement for the standard WRX turbo on cars without any other major modifications. Expect flows around 430 CFM at 18 PSI.

VF30
    The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 (P18) but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The compressor inducer is 47.90mm. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Utilizes a sleeve type bearing design. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models. This is the ideal turbo for the average customer looking for fast excellent mid-range performance and response. This is not a ball bearing turbo as it utilizes a sleeve type design. Expect flows around 460 CFM at 18.0 PSI

17. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know all that already. Your description is kind of vague so it's hard to say what exactly is going on without some datalogs. I'm sure it's normal.

18. kickin_81

Joel, Chong mentioned to me about getting my ECU datalogged before I send it in to get another reflash. Can you help me on this one? :)

19. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

No. You need to buy DeltaDash, probably.

20. kickin_81

Sure thing.

21. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I just run 92 pump from SA. I think I am starting postive pressure about 26-2700. I don't remember off hand, I haven't drove my car in a month or so. But back to Chris's topic.

Russ

22. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

Joel, Chong mentioned to me about getting my ECU datalogged before I send it in to get another reflash. Can you help me on this one? :)

Mr. F,

What should I call you? hm..................Mr. F!

I think we already had this conversation. Go ask Ob1. I just got mine datalogged, and will probably will again while its getting dynoed. Soon you'll feel it in the pants, and your probably will have to change your shorts soon after. :D

C ;)

23. morganm

morganm New Member

Are you dudes done hijacking this thread :p

24. kickin_81

25. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

Hey morgan did you ever call my guy from work? He's called and left messages a couple of times.

26. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by KaliforniaKid

Hey morgan did you ever call my guy from work? He's called and left messages a couple of times.
    He did call and leave one message. Sorry I have not got back. I guess it sounded like you guys had entry level positions open but I need to take a midlevel position to pay the bills; ya know? :D

I should not have been rude and blew him off reguardless of the position. I'll give him a call back and we'll talk. Appriciate your help, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.