Mud Flaps?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by JACKRBT, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JACKRBT

JACKRBT Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any experience with the RokBlokz flaps? http://rokblokz.com/08-12-subaru-sti.html

I'm interesting in something flexible but not something that's going to flap in the wind like I've seen with the Rally Armors. Any other recommendations? At less than half the cost of the Rally Armors, I'm both skeptical and tempted.

This is for a 2012 WRX 5-door, BTW, if that matters. Thanks!

2. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Well, considering Rally Armor's are absurdly overpriced, I say go for it.

BTW, I used Ikea cuttingboard ghetto mudflaps for several years and they held up well. Just sayin.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The Rally Armor Urethane(?) mudflaps do not flap in the wind. Just the cheaper model ones do. And yes, they are overpriced...but you get what you pay for! I've had mine on the car for about 6 years and they are still in great shape! Morries Minnetonka has them also.

4. tangledupinblu

Also Al, just looked at the link that you posted...you would need to trim those shorter because they're way too long. The stiffer flaps will eventually have a slight bend to them after years of use which will make them look really funny after awhile. Even my shorter RA's have done this, but it doesn't look that bad because they're not that long. I've also had experience installing a set on an 08 STi hatch and the fitment of the RA's is really good as is the mounting hardware. I say invest the extra money and get the RA's. My 2 cents.

Not the "Classics"(flappy ones). Get the "Urethane"(stiffer ones).

03subyR likes this.
  5. JACKRBT

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know that the urethane RAs are not the floppy ones. I did notice the RBs looked low but I also thought that the cars were probably lowered in those pics. Maybe not? Most people say the RAs are worth the money so I'm pretty sold now that I know they aren't going to flap around. I do wish you could get them w/o the logo but I'll just go with the gray so it will be as subtle as possible. Thanks again!!

6. tangledupinblu

You're welcome! You could always hit the writing with a black sharpie, lol.

7. fdomestic

fdomestic Member

I have the UR rallyarmors. They were expensive, but to me they make the car look so much better, not to mention they're actually useful!

8. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

This is backwards. The Urethane ones are definitely the floppy ones. They do flap around in the wind a bit. The RockBlokz appear to be similar to the Rally Armor Classics flaps. A little bendy but not floppy like the UR's. Rally Armor also makes a Basic mudflap that is stiff like the Ikea cutting boards or Flapatax mudflaps. BUT Rally Armor doesn't offer the Classic or Basic mudflaps for the 08+ WRX or STI, so your only option from RA is the UR (floppy) version.

9. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Flappy ftw

10. tangledupinblu

I'm pretty sure that you're wrong Benny poo. The classics are the cheap-er ones, the sturdy UR's are $159.00. I can call Morries to confirm tho.

11. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Nope, UR's are flappy. Polyurethane is a very soft material.

The product page for the "Basic" flaps describes how the UR's are much more flexible:

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/basic-impreza-wrxsti-mud-flaps-p-191.html

12. tangledupinblu

I googled them and they were listed as the UR's on RallyArmors website. hmmmm.

I stand corrected...carry on!:)

13. JACKRBT

So the concensus is that the RA UR flaps ($160 + shipping) are the ones that do flap in the breeze? People sure seem to like them though. I just thought they looked downright goofy flopping around. If one can believe RB's website, it sounds like they have a more rigid formulation of polyurethane to keep this from happening. I wonder if the hardware, etc. is substandard or where they're cutting cost. $160 vs. $70 is not that big of a deal but I just want to do this once.

14. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yes, the UR's are the floppy ones. I also think they look foolish flapping in the breeze. But the reason people get them is because they last the longest. The stiff flaps do a somewhat better job keeping dirt off the car, but they have downsides. The main ones are warping and the inability to flex. Warping occurs over time, and is worse with some than others. The inability to flex is what makes them good for stopping rocks, but also can cause problems if they hit the ground or some other obstacle. They'll scrape loudly going up a steep driveway and could even rip off your bumper (or rip themselves) if you back over a curb or make some other poor choice.

I am not sure what hardware comes with that brand. Most are fairly similar. I do think that RA has started using plastic hardware to eliminate the possibility of rust. But other than that, the hardware is probably pretty similar. The real difference in cost is the flaps themselves. Polyurethane is very expensive. Even a sheet of uncut stuff will cost more than the hard plastic mudflaps. People are willing to pay for the durability and not having to worry about getting caught on something and ripping off their bumper.

I have hard Flapatax mudlfaps on my. The hardware is metal and the flaps don't bend at all. I've had them 2 winters and they're great. The do scrape loudly on my driveway though. I actually like look of the ones you linked. They appear to be a little more bendy than mine, but not too soft, like the RA UR's. I wish they weren't so long though.

15. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

I've got 4 chunks of black plastic that I'll sell to you if you want ($20). They are cut to size already. They are a semi-truck mud flap blank that has been cut down. You'll need to cut them to size and to your liking but the material is solid.

16. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

That's what I did for mine. I cut them with an air cut off tool. Worked pretty slick.