My electrical marvel of a bug eye..

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Bugeyejake, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

So, i had a buddy who threw an aftermarket stereo in his bug eye and he kindly handed me over his old stock unit because the crap aftermarket one in mine hadn’t worked since i bought it.

Well, in replacing it today, I’ve got (what appears to me) quite the rats nest of wires and as much as i love DIY on mechanical maintenance/mods I’ve always avoided electrical.. but i am trying to sort things out!

I’ve got the stock unit working and that’s all fine, but here’s what I’ve found:

1) My ebrake sensor is unplugged
    2) my security unit is unplugged
    3) there’s a connector that comes out from the center console and runs under the passenger seat.. also not plugged into anything
    4) there’s quite the situation with two connectors that match the male and female for the head unit.. almost like a loop of sorts.. I’ll try to add a photo after i post

The purpose of my post:
    Being new to the area (willmar/spicer) and not being an electrical buff.. does anyone have either:
    1) a diagram they can share that might help trace the “loop” situation to its correct place?
    2) a recommendation for an electrical wizard? Lol

So far my research has been non-conclusive, so any sort of point in the right direction would be awesome. And/or prayers. Lol cheers!

2. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

upload_2019-11-2_14-53-8.jpeg

The red wire that’s coming straight out looks like maybe it was.. for a sub woofer at some point? It goes nowhere currently.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The plug from the center counsel to the seat area is more than likely the passenger side “seat” airbag.

That’s what i’ve got for you. And prayers of course!:D

Ctracey218 and Bugeyejake like this.
  4. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

The weird part is there’s also a yellow connector under the seat that IS plugged into the bottom of the seat, but i can’t find a female connector anywhere to plug this ‘center console’ one into.. so strange! I’ll keep searching and post any findings here

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

My guess/assumption on the e-brake one is they did that to bypass something with a video capable head unit at some point? Can honestly say I've never had one but remember reading about that stuff when I was looking at them years ago.

What does the connector under the seat look like?

Can't imagine that red wire would be to a sub. Way too small for any kind of real power, and way too big to be a remote wire.

Interesting...

6. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

I was thinking about that red wire earlier, when i looked at *what i imagine it was hooked up to* on the janky head unit i took out it made me think it was just whatever wire someone had laying around and they needed to make a connection.. for who knows what lol

Good to know though about the ebrake wire, i wonder if maybe there was a nicer head unit in the car before it got to whoever had it before me..

I’ll have to post another photo of that mystery connector under the seat. Something that intrigued me in research is that it maybe is for heated/power seats and that Subaru may not have manufactured special wiring harnesses for trims that didn’t include the options. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it seems possible?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

jdmfsm.info is a great source for fsms. Be a little careful, as frequently they're EUDM files, so you may need to go a year older to get the right one. But 2002 should cover all the options for the bugeye (don't know what year you have...).

Extra harness under the passenger seat is likely for the accessory subwoofer.

Bugeyejake likes this.
  8. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Any yellow connector is typically going to be for the restraint system, in this case it'd be for the side airbag in the seat if I'm not mistaken. Unplugging the handbrake connector I think also disables the daytime running lamps (DRLs), as well as allowing you to play DVDs and such on an aftermarket head unit while driving. Not sure what you've found for references but hopefully these will help you...

Full electrical service manual:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw047xyqWY73WSeXFav7SNjG&cshid=1572894256702

Radio-specific wiring diagram:
    subaru_impreza_wrx.jpg

Bugeyejake and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

Thank you both, Chux and Pleiades!! I’m going to have to tear in there again and figure out where the “mystery loop” is routing to, since the stock head unit is functioning great and i haven’t had any problems since hooking it up.

There’s just a weird feeling that there are seemingly “extra” wires in there. Its weird to me that the extras I’ve got are that same 14 pin connector posted above.. but don’t seem to be doing anything lol.

Glad to have some closure on the connector under the passenger seat! 1 mystery down!

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Radio wiring on cars with multiple owners can be a mystery. My 4Runner had several extra connectors spliced in that were not needed. But if everything works, I probably wouldn't worry about it. It's also possible it's there intentionally for an option your car doesn't have. It's not uncommon to find unused wiring connectors.

Bugeyejake likes this.
  11. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

The plus side is I’ve got a buddy with an 03 wrx sedan and someday we’re going to tear into the center console wiring situation together - his is likely 100% OEM so he more or less is offering his up as a template for me to compare to. So we’ll see if he has any sort of a similar loop as I’ve got

silver03 likes this.