Need new clutch, ideas?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by DIRTY D, May 18, 2020.

1. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

Well 2009 WRX standard stage 2 tune finally needs a new clutch. 110k I guess that's not too bad. What should I put in? just a spirited daily driver for me not looking to track or anything. Also where to go these days? I haven't been in the mod game for awhile. Any ideas or ball park figures would be helpful. Over the phone Subaru said like $ 2,300 bucks. Seems aggressive for stock well maybe White Bear Lake needs to pay for that new building. ***thanks D

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Guessing you're not looking to do it yourself? Exedy stock replacement has lasted me several years and still going strong.

3. DIRTY D

No tools or know how

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Second Exedy. Call around, you'll probably find a better rate.

5. DIRTY D

Is there a certain Exedy stage 2 model recommended or go to shops to install. Question on stage two clutches. Are they just beefier than stock but made for standard daily driving. Thanks D

6. Mi_Ke_nnedy

Mi_Ke_nnedy Active Member

Stage 2 is not exactly the DD-friendly design you're looking for.
    Staged clutches are different and not comparable from staged tunes, and that stage 2 is somewhat aggressive - increased clamp via the pressure plate, plus a more aggressive friction material (cerametallic), and might be a pucked design (per the image; though they disclaimer that the image isn't fitment-specific so it might not be) which can chatter more.
    OEM clutch is generally good enough for stage 2 tune, especially an OTS tune - was yours slipping or unable to handle the torque before it started wearing out?
    But the Exedy stage 1 might be the "beefier" stock-like clutch you're asking for: same reasonably-friendly friction material as OEM but with the higher-clamping pressure plate (~40% per their site) that the stage 2 gets. The extra clamp load does put more stress on thrust bearings in the engine, and can lead to more shock load in the tranny depending how you treat it, but I think is reasonably common to run with low adverse effects. They rate it to 301wtq, but I think that's conservative as the OEM seems to be regarded as fine for that torque level...

As for shops, many on here seem to like JM Auto in Osseo, their quote a couple years back for a clutch job (wound up doing it myself though) was as I recall much more reasonable than the dealership's price.
    Planning to do a resurfaced flywheel, or just get a new OEM replacement? I went new to eliminate some downtime waiting for a grind, it was only $130 or so via RSD, but having a shop do yours might negate that benefit.

Peder likes this.
  7. DIRTY D

I appreciate the feedback thanks. I plan on keeping the car for awhile so thought I would upgrade a bit without breaking the bank.

8. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I put on a ACT Xtreme Duty Street Disc and ran that for a year and a half on a stage 2ish set up before I fully built the engine. The grab in first can be a bit much if you aren't careful. Other than that I have no complaints and if you plan on going for more power, it will be able to handle it.

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Stage 1 Exedy replacement. All you need and about the same feel as stock. And cheap!

DIRTY D and Mi_Ke_nnedy like this.
  10. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

IMO "stage-branded" clutches are just a marketing scheme. You can't possibly say "because it's a stage 2 clutch it's not going to be friendly on the street". The main things are disc design (full face vs. puck) and sprung or unsprung. Anything with a full face and sprung disc will generally be fine for a DD after proper break in.

A buddy of mine had a ACT HD in his car and the thing was like driving a dump truck - very heavy clutch feel. I had one in my old bugeye wrx years ago and it always chattered badly too.

Before switching to a Comp twin recently, I ran a ClutchMasters FX400 (full face/8 puck design) and loved it. Stock pedal feel and held up to 600whp/480wtq without issue and lots of abuse.

I would ask yourself the question, are you going to mod the car at all in the future or is it staying at the power level it's at indefinitely. This isn't something you want to do more than once and, to an extent, you can't really go overboard on an upgraded clutch. The FX100 would probably be a good fit for a stage 2 car.

Nothing wrong with the OEM replacement Exedy clutches either, but I guess what I'm getting at is if your car isn't bone stock, a little extra clutch clamping power wouldn't hurt so you're not doing this again in 10k because it's starting to slip. :)

DIRTY D likes this.
  11. DIRTY D

So I think I have diagnosed the issue. Not the clutch but the peddle assembly weld cracked on the firewall. Yes I know this was over a couple of month ago but I finally got around with a knowledgeable buddy to help take a look. I have a feeling that Subaru will source the repair out if I bring it to the dealer. I have read other forms saying that SOA has paid for some of the repairs on other vehicles with the same problem. I know that's a workmanship issue with broken welds I baby this car so there shouldn't issues with abuse. I'm going to make a few phone calls but we'll see what happens.

12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to talk to a dealer and see what they do as chances are this isn't the first one they have dealt with. It they do farm out the repair maybe they'll share with you where they send it. Or maybe they do the disassembly and reassembly and a mobile welder they contract with stops by the dealership to do the real work.