Need some pointers on 4 pot 5x114.3 swap

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by euro, Oct 30, 2020.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Specs:
    97 impreza outback sport 5 speed
    Going under the body of a 71 vw type 3 fastback.

I need some pointers on converting the 5x100 stock brakes/hubs to the 4 and 2 pot 5x114.3 brakes and hubs. Searches on Nasioc seem super broken these days.

I've gathered that the stock carriers do need to be replaced due to the bolt patterns for the wheel bearing and caliper carrier being different. But what i need some guidance on is how far in does everything need to be replaced and from which models/years?(ie. Axles, trans, struts, etc) i had looked into just buying a wrx for this chassis swap but it became prohibitively expensive given the rest of the custom parts i still need to fabricate.

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

So, Brembo brakes?

Or you want to use the '06-'07 WRX 4-pots (5x100) and convert to 5x114?

3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Looking to run the subaru ones, were those only 5x100? That will still work but i think i'll end having to run adapters

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain the 4/2 pots you're talking about were the 06/07 WRX ones, which were indeed 5x100 cars.

Not sure if it's of any help, but I put 4/2 pots on my 03 wagon this spring. Fronts are just a direct replacement. You use the same size rotors as stock, just change the calipers and pads. Rears require a different rotor (now vented) and an adapter bracket for the caliper (and of course different pads). Otherwise it was an incredibly easy swap.

euro likes this.
  5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Sweet, thank you for the info! I'll have to give it a shot once i have a set.

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, the red Subaru 4/2 setup from '06-'07 was only available on 5x100 cars. These are commonly used on rally cars, as they will fit under 15" gravel wheels, so there are rotors that will fit on 5x114.3 hubs. Generally considered "Group N" brakes. It's a challenge, as 5x114.3 hubs generally come with a larger rear ebrake drum, so the rear rotors are pretty specialized, but they exist. So it's certainly possible to run those and 5x114.3, but you'll need parts from 2 more cars.

5x114.3 is only '05+ STi, Tribeca, SVX, and ~2015+ WRX/Legacy/Outback. STi's came with Brembos, most were 4/2 pot, some larger, all others were standard 2/1 pot sliding calipers.

But yea, front caliper mounting didn't change (with the exception of the SVX). Just a matter of getting 296mm rotors and bolting it all together. Rears require vented 290mm rotors, and depending what backing plates you have may require adapters for the calipers.

EDIT: just remembered the really ugly combination was '04 STi rear hubs and those 2 pots, as that combination of outer diameter, thickness (vented), 5x100 AND the larger ebrake drum that comes with the R180 was never a factory part. Doesn't sound like that's a combination you're looking at, but for future reference...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    euro likes this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

It sounds like I will be going with 4/2 with 5x100 to simplify the part that matters (brakes working reliably without remembering where all the parts came from)

I'll run some 5x100 to 5x114.3 hubcentric adapters to fit my current RS faces or keep looking for a 5x100 rare set.

The nicest parts of this build is there's literally no limit on how far out the wheels can stick (front and rear fenders on the fastback are bolt on) 98bd93986b0c1d280e79fb46940c6b3a.jpg

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

So are you using the whole floor pan? Front engine?

Keep in mind, there's more to offset/spacers/adapters than just body clearance. Scrub radius is not a good thing...

9. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Whole pan similar to this. Wheels won't be wider than 8" max or more than 75% distributed width on either side of the center to avoid wheel bearing issues and scrubbing inner wells or strut components at lock. 1976-Vauxhall-Viva-with-a-Subaru-Impreza-powertrain-10.jpg

Edit: quick math fail

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

A few more examples from a squareback GTI
    2074006.jpg 2052167.jpg

Chux, TSTRBOY2004 and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Love those wheels on there!

euro likes this.
  12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Very cool, so it's going to be completely Subaru running gear underneath. That should simplify things.

Then yea, you'll just need pads, rotors, calipers from an '06-'07 WRX, and mount adapters for the rear (google "Subaru 2 pot adapters" yields many options). Double check the ebrake drum diameter, but it should be right.

EDIT: my curiosity got to me, I looked on RockAuto, looks like the ebrake size is the same.

euro likes this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

euro likes this.