Need Web Design, Any Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by housemusic1, Aug 27, 2018.

1. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Like the title says....I'm looking for somebody that can help me get my website off the ground. Before I go to the Google machine, and look for somebody, I figured I'd check to see if anybody in the Subie family can help. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

What sort of website are you talking about.

"I need a website" encompasses a huge range of prices, effort levels, and skillsets. What does it need to accomplish, what sorts of interactions are you looking to have on it (live, real-time, passive, forums)? Do you intend to update it often, is it a blog type thing? Does it have a store-front where purchases are made for goods and services with electronic payments?

3. housemusic1

I was a DJ in Minneapolis for many years, and over that time I amassed a huge collection of mixtapes from all over the world. I currently run a YouTube channel dedicated to the preservation of these tapes, and I'm looking to take my collection to my own stand alone website. The amount of mixes on my channel make it hard for people to navigate easily, and I would like a site that can make the mixes easily searchable, by name, year, genre, etc. Lookin to build a website that will host the mixes, which will be available for download to members. New music will be added on a regular basis, as i'm acquiring new tapes every week. Would also like a forum area for members to buy/sell/trade from their personal collections. I don't need an actual marketplace per se, as any transactions that take place will be between the members either via PayPal, or whatever payment platform that the 2 parties agree upon. I've purchased the domain name, and I'm hoping to be up and running by the new year. I have lots of ideas for the site, but it's not my area of expertise, so I really need to sit down with somebody, go over what I'm looking for, and get an idea of what it would take to get it done. Doesn't need to be over the top fancy, but does need to be functional and user friendly.

4. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Hmmmm.... you don't happen to have exactly 1363 subscribers right now do you? Happen to be a subscriber to such a channel for quite some time....

5. housemusic1

Currently sitting at 7,042 subscribers.

www.youtube.com/c/mixtapemagic

6. SurlyOldManMN

Apparently I'm also already subscribed to yours. :coffee:

tangledupinblu and housemusic1 like this.
  7. housemusic1

Nice. Much appreciated.

8. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

I build websites for a living (10+ years). The main question is budget.

Most people grossly underestimate how much it costs to build a legit website.

9. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Web Developer here as well. As stated above, budget is of high value when thinking about a website. Plus with versatility and exactly what kind of updates and additions are made, a pretty detailed plan should be considered.

10. housemusic1

I would like to think for $1000, you can get a decent website off the ground, no?

11. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Is your mixtape metadata organized? How much data do you have? Where you host will be an important decision, as you'll potentially require a large amount of disk space, disk I/O and bandwidth. Run your custom app in AWS with the files stored in S3 if you're serious about it.

MilkyDaddy likes this.
  12. mctenold

To be honest, no. You will not get a great website for $1000. Maybe a Wordpress blog with a prebuilt design/template at that budget. But it doesn't sound like you are talking about a blog, but something a bit more custom.

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Another thing people forget is that there is a lot of aspects to a website. Design, UX, CMS, hosting, coding, seo, to name a few.

Just to give you an example, my rate is usually around $150 an hour for coding only. I work with a designer who's rate is also comparable.

The smallest custom designed wordpress blogs we build are typically around 20 hours of coding. That's around $3000 just for coding, so no design in that price (and it always ends up being more because a client always breaks scope and changes their mind). And that's a wordpress blog.

So I guess it all depends on how serious you are. I'm sure you can find a college kid that will work for beer, but you will regret it if you are hoping for something solid at the end.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. housemusic1

I'm approaching 1TB of music. If I knew what metadata was, I could answer your question. It sounds familiar though!

14. mctenold

Like it was stated above, at 1tb of storage and disk I/O for uploads and downloads of that data, hosting will not be cheap, depending on traffic. Also would recommend AWS/S3 for something like this.

15. housemusic1

Cool. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into AWS/S3. Sounds like a GoFundMe campaign might be in the works. If a guy can raise thousands of $ for potato salad, maybe I can get people on board for a website!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. mctenold

That or you could just do it old school and work hard for what you want. Either way good luck!

17. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Also, you should be realistic with your monthly hosting fees. I've made some assumptions here, but this is the ballpark you should expect for monthly hosting fees to get your project started on bare minimums.
    • 1 Linux m4.large box
    • Open source app hosted on Apache
    • MySQL database
    • 1TB S3 storage with 1.5TB transfer out/month
    Untitled.png

18. SurlyOldManMN

If I were you I'd explore retaining the youtube channel and make a site that provides the extra search functionality you're looking for. Properly designed, you should be able to reuse much of that functionality when/if you do a full blown deal with your own storage and streaming. Furthermore, totally forgot you had Machete - Interdimensional. Def going to be today's jam.

housemusic1 and Fienix like this.
  19. housemusic1

Yeah, the YT channel will be staying.....at least for the foreseeable future. I like to research the hell out of stuff before I pull the trigger, so I've got time to ask around, watch videos, check other sites, etc. At least I got the domain name out of the way, so I can sit on it for a while.