New Car....

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by okdeal6905, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

Hey guys, i am new to the site and new to the subaru world, but not the car world.....yesterday i test drove an 06 wrx and really enjoyed the ride. I have always wanted to get an STi and now am looking at selling my car and picking up a subaru. Now here is what i need to know. The STi is more expensive, am i going to be dissapointed getting into a WRX and not an STi? i know that there are a lot of upgrades for the WRX and ive been told they can be almost as quick. What kind of things are common to swaps that are done? any info would be great....thanks

Nick

2. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

The WRX will have tighter gearing than the STi, and if you get an 06-07 you'd be working with practically the same engine. A turbo upgrade with supplemental mods would net you a very quick car. However, the STi has the faster engine, stronger transmission (if you're looking to make over 350 WHP), and better brakes and suspension out of the box. If it were up to me, I would probably jump on the STi and play with it as I go. However, if you have the cash in a pile for mods, the WRX route wouldn't be too bad.

3. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer get a WRX. Easy upgrades to a WRX= almost Sti. Save's you big $$$ if you'd just get a WRX.

I've heard that a Stage 2 WRX is almost as good as a Sti.

4. blackozone

That is solely based on driver. I believe you are misinformed.

5. blackozone

Also Nick, welcome welcome welcome.

6. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

sure its subjective, but a stage 2 undoubtedly faster in a straight line. I don't think I'm misinformed either i've raced both.

My 06 WRX hasn't lost any autocrosses ever to any STi in any class, and i have about $1500 in suspension work and $1500 in power mods and $500 in tuning. I paid $22,500 out the door for it.

thats a lot less than an STi costs, and it drives as well or better too.

The only reason I see to buy an STi is the gearbox. everything else isn't worth it. The brembos are nice, but unless you do track work the 06 4 pots are pretty much just as good.

7. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

thanks guys.....well am i better off getting into the 06 or should i go with a different year? i will be in a subbi soon so i figure i jump on here and get to know some people and get some opinions....i dont think im planning on running more then 350whp....i was thinking more along the lines of a fast whip with a nice suspension upgrade and rip around maybe autocross

8. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

I meant straight-a-way power.

9. blackozone

Sorry, I forgot about you 06 bastards and your 4-pots. Yes, the WRX/STi line is really blurred as of 06. If you want a cheap slightly less-attractive twin to an STi, the 06 with the upgrades work wonderfully. The interior is almost exactly the same even.

10. EggRoll

EggRoll Well-Known Member

hey there and welcome to the club! Good luck on finding your STi!

11. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

yea im just looking to get into something soon. just need to sell my car and im in the subbie world. where is everyone loacted from here? anyone willing to take me for a ride on a slightly modded wrx, sti anything like that

12. esperunit

yep same seats,different cloth. Gauges are same as 05WRX.

Get an 06 or 07 if you can. Same engine as the STi (2.5L EJ257) and much better brakes, same steering rack as STi (old one was way too long) and much better designed gears.

13. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

are more guys from here autocrossing or going for big power?

14. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I doubt you will be disappointed in either.

I had an 06 wrx that went from stage 2 (exhaust) to 3 (sti turbo). It also had about $3k in suspension mods (inverted coilovers, sway bars and links, rims/tires, etc...).

I was sold on an 07 STI after 1 test drive. The car feels more solid as a daily driver and has more power potential when it comes to the transmission. Previous year STi's were not that impressive to me... mostly because of gearing.

Altogether I paid $22k for the wrx plus 3k tax/fees/financing. Plus ~$8k in parts and tuning.

After transferring the header, uppipe, and downpipe over to the STI and getting it tuned. It sure feels faster than my wrx. I'll know for sure in the spring. Stops better too. Can't comment on the handling yet, but it makes a better daily driver for me.

It sounds like warranty isn't important to you, but if budget is a concern, I'd suggest looking for a used 06 wrx and selecting your mod path carefully. If you ever plan to go bigger turbo, then save some money for gears or a new transmission entirely.

I don't know your insurance situation, but you might want to check that out too. I am fortunate enough to pay $40 a month less on the STI, but I'm sure that's a very rare exception.

15. EggRoll

there are a variety of people on here who mod their cars in many different ways. Power, auto crossing, looks, and well the music lovers and their subs. Everyone here is welcome! =D

16. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

good to hear. my plan as of now is probably to get to around 325 to the wheels ans then do the suspension, i dont want to press the limit with the motor trans etc, had that problem with to many cars. but i think i would have fun with an autocross setup on this whip. anyone know someone selling a good used 06? i have a possible one at white bear subaru......

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

My final goal on my 04 WRX is 300 WHP but I don't plan to do any auto crossing. If you plan to auto cross I would take my advice from Zak (Esperunit) he has had the cleanest 4 door GC I have seen and now one sick little red wagon. You don't need 325 for auto cross I would shoot for 260 WHP and 300 WTQ, with 325 your bound to have lag at the auto cross events.

18. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

thanks for the advice man, i know about making power and i know a little about drifting srtup but autocross is new to me. so any advice on that i would love, so thanks i appreciate it. other then that i am just going to be around the forum gaining knowledge on this stuff, i have heard this is one of the best cars to drive. So guys feel free to pm me or just hook me up with info, like i said i will be searching the forums and trying to do the research...but i am looking to get into a subbie in the next few weeks. stll want the sti but the wrx is looking more appealing to me based on overall money and everything....

19. esperunit

yep there is a really wide variety of things people use these cars for here. Drag racing, autocrossing, rallycross, off roading and ice racing are the most popular, but they are very versatile.

really my car is not anything close to an all out autocross setup but is very competent. But having the power isnt mutually exclusive, if I wanted to drag race it would be still good for that as well, up tot he point of getting a lot of turbo lag. I make ~245WHP/315WTQ on race gas so i'm pretty sure it could easily overcome a stock STi in a drag race notwithstanding my better gearing for straight lines.

EDIT:
    also since i didnt mention it my car is a stage 2ish (Uncatted turbo back exhaust, STi intercooler) power wise. Still stock turbo.

20. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

so do u autocross or just whip around for fun?

21. COBBsoobyStage1

COBBsoobyStage1 New Member

Ready for a spot? I'd go for the WRX, slap on a TBE + AP + Stage 2 Suspension + gutted uppipe + pulley upgrades.....

http://www.cobbtuning.com/ has everything you need!

how much of this work are you going to be doing is the real question. If you're paying somone to do the work I'd get the sti and slap on a AP + TBE, otherwise get the WRX. Modding it yourself is half the fun!

22. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

until you stage 2 the STi... then what?!?!?!

23. COBBsoobyStage1

missing the point man... the guy wants a scoob and doesn't want to spend alot. If I was him... I'd go with the wrx. the payment will be less, insurance will be less, and it'd be a nice little sleeper ( if that's possible for a wrx )

24. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

Just ask Nuke or anyone that was at the track if your talking about drag racing. Nuke was at stage 2 and so was Shane. Both ran very good times and was practically right next to the STi's there at stage 2. VF39 06 WRX's owned that day though. I should know I was one of them! :biggrin:

25. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

I think you mean you'd go with wrx :)

26. TSTRBOY2004

^^^ all that means is the driver can't change for crap... but then again I am forgetting the newer subaru's ae both 2.5's... doh!

27. COBBsoobyStage1

yeah... I fixed it :ugh:

28. COBBsoobyStage1

check it... I just bought a house right... well I did. It was a forclosure in NV so this state being one of the worst for forclosures I got a super deal. The thing was I needed to put about 15k into the place to make it livable. No appliances, needed some tile work.. yadda yadda. Finally when it was all said and done I got 18k into the house. Had I gone and bought a house that had all that stuff in it I would have spent another 80k ( I did all the work myself ). The moral of the story is, I'm saving a helluva lot on my mortgage by not paying the interested on the higher loan. ++++ meaning ++++ same applies to the STI and WRX. Get the WRX, save money every month both on the car payment and insurance... and gas probly... and upgrade your WRX over time with cash money right outta your pocket. You'll have a kickass car, just the way you like it, and will most likely still cost you less than the STI. Word... :roll:

29. Andyman8662

Andyman8662 New Member

yeah i think your goals are achievable in a wrx. the only thing you might want in the sti you cant get in a wrx is the transmission which is rock solid compared to the 5 speed, and the dccd.

30. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

damn i missed a lot in the last few hours haha....thanks for all the help guys. I am really excited to get into a wrx or sti, im thinking that the wrx may be the way to go, i mean im not looking for huge hp numbers, just respectable ones, with a good suspension setup...i think it was said best when it was mentioned that i will save on the car payment each month, save on insurance and on gas, so im taking the money i save and making my car better

31. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Ok, I own an '06 WRX, and I'll say this:

Get the WRX if you want respectable power (250-300 whp), want to save a little cash, and if you DD your car and don't bang on all of the time.

Get the STI if you want some more top end power, if you have the extra cash to spend, and if you regularly drive your car "like you stole it."

Welcome to the site!

32. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I've owned an 04 wrx and now I have an 06 wrx with a stage 1 tune. I have driven a STI before and to be honest the STI owned the 2.0 but the 06 with the 2.5 is the perfect mix of price vs. power imho.

33. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

i gots a stage 2 bugeye if ya wanna otherwise im sure anyone here is willing

34. wrexinator03

this not so trueeeeeeee i stay pretty much side by side with an sti

35. carl

carl Well-Known Member

parked?

36. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:lollol: funny carl! :lollol:

37. EggRoll

I really love the bug eyes 02-03, but be ready to get the cock tail mix for them! how much are you looking to spend?

38. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Basically, what are your plans for the use of the car and how much do you plan on spending (for the car)

39. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

My 04 was pretty much stock so yes, sti > stock wrx I was refering to the 2.0 vs. 2.5. Personaly I think the 2.5 is far more fun to drive with the torque advantage it has. Other than the tranny the 06 and up wrx is alot closer to sti capabilities than older models. I'm not trying to bash anyones' car. I'm just speaking of my personal expierience.

40. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

i plan on running a respectible hp maybe 275-325 and hopefully setup the suspension for autocross, however it will be a dd

41. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the most important reason to buy WRX....

There is NO GGB in the US!

42. wrexinator03

stage 2 bugeye vs stock sti pretty much equalllll

43. TSTRBOY2004

what he said..... I live in Jordan 30-40 mins sth of the cities...

44. Natural2JZ

Natural2JZ Well-Known Member

plus probably cheaper if done right...

45. wrexinator03

bought car for 15,000 with 52,xxx miles....150 for downpipe 80 for uppipe, 250 for srs catback. 90 for tactrix cable, 52 for xpt stage 2...650ish for stage 2 and pretty much equal with sti....i stayed side by side and eventually lost by about 3/4 of a car length....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.