New guy planning on FINALLY buying a Subaru

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by bnkrpt311, Nov 3, 2016.

1. bnkrpt311

bnkrpt311 Well-Known Member

Hello. I joined in 2010 to basically gawk at photos of STi's. I'm at a point in my life now where I'm married, have a toddler, two dogs, and own a house.

My wife and I currently own a 2014 Toyota 4Runner and are strongly considering swapping it out for a new Outback. I have some concerns about our situation and wanted to gather feedback from current Subaru owners.

I've been browsing various dealer websites and it's seems that Morrie's is the place to go. Which one, Minnetonka or Brooklyn Park? Also, I'd like to be more prepared for the buying process than I was with the Toyota. We are wanting a base model Outback 2.5i Premium. we essentially want the leather steering wheel and heated seats that a plain 2.5i doesn't have. Morrie's has them advertised at around $27,300. we owe a little over 29k on the Toyota which is exactly what KBB trade in is. How would I best position myself for purchasing the Outback? I doubt a dealership would cut us a check for the difference. Do we trade in and ask for a warranty and some accessories to bring the Outback up the additional $2k? Do we sell the Toyota to the dealer as a separate transaction and then buy an Outback?

Thanks in advance.

2. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I vote for Minnetonka, hands down. Can't help you with the rest though.

Welcome back to the forums!

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

@Squiggly ?

Welcome! We have a few members that work at Minnetonka. Mike, aka squiggly, is one of them!

Also, one of the Subaru ambassadors on here should have a $500 off coupon!

Good luck!
    -Josh

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

You're gonna lose money trading a 2014. Keep it. It's a Toyota. It will suck less money from your wallet than a Subaru will. I would much rather drive a cog-swapping auto than a CVT.

Nhibbs, idget and TMF like this.
  5. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Kind of a rather large downgrade, to be honest.

6. bnkrpt311

I understand that. I would tend to agree as well. Our 4Runner is the poster child for reliability. However, my wife would like a Subaru and she would prefer awd over the 4wd of the 4Runner. the Outback is significantly cheaper than what our 4Runner cost. I've read the 2017 Outback should be just as reliable.

7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yes, the 4Runner is a "nicer" and much more capable car, but if you don't offroad, don't tow anything, and don't need the extra space, the Outback is a great alternative.

Morries Minnetonka > Morries Brooklyn Park

When I was on the hunt for my Forester, I found other dealers with better prices (I did buy out of state), but there are a lot of advantages to buying from Morries, especially if you're close by.

Regarding which model, I'd say don't skimp on the options now, because in the long run (assuming you keep the car for several years), paying a grand or two extra now to get the options (NOT accessories) you want will be worth it over the long term.

I recommend the Harmon Kardon stereo, but I'm not sure if you have to step up to the Touring to get that.
    I highly recommend getting Eyesight for one main reason: adaptive cruise control. It makes road tripping and driving in traffic so much easier. In traffic, the adaptive cruise will literally apply the brakes down to a stop, and will automatically resume provided you're not stopped for more than a few sections. It's wonderful. The safety benefits of Eyesight are an added bonus.

That's my $.02...good luck on your search!

kongzilla and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. bnkrpt311

You are correct with your first statement. The 4Runner is great but the Outback would fit us better.

We won't be getting a highly optioned model. We're not wanting to spend what we did on our 4Runner.

9. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Sell the 4-runner your self!

TMF likes this.
  10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

No problem, I totally hear ya. My wife loves her 11' Outback (no options lol) and I also somewhat talked my parents into their 15' Outback (their first Subaru) and they are loving it as well!
    +1 for selling it on your own if you have the time. A 4runner should sell quick and you will get more money. However, sometimes it is tough to beat the convenience of dropping off the keys at the dealer and getting a check for a new car...plus the tax benefits of trading it in vs. selling.

11. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

i would never do this trade, even if i made money on it, never mind that you're actually going to *lose* money.

12. bnkrpt311

Care to explain how I will lose money? If i break even on trading in the 4Runner and buy an Outback how am I losing money?

13. UnquenchableOne

UnquenchableOne Well-Known Member

I got a good deal on my car at walser burnsville subaru as soon as I sat down with them. It is much closer for me and have always liked their service department. Was just back in there today because of my personalized plates. If you check them out, tell them that TI3VOMU sent ya. I don't get anything for it of course, but they were all trying to figure out my plate today so it might give them a chuckle.

I think I would get the place you want to do a trade with, to tell you what they would give, and if you want your car fast, then maybe go that route, otherwise I would imagine it would be more profitable to sell it yourself vs trading it.

I like the car you are interested in getting as well. I always suggest to people to get real winter tires though. Subaru's AWD is amazing, and then if you add amazing tires, you will just be stunned by its ability to drive in snow, and its braking abilities, which to me, is its most important role. Most people accelerate slow in general, so it is the need to stop fast in the winter that saves you and the car. Happy shopping!

14. bnkrpt311

Thanks again everyone. I know this seems like an odd switch but at the end of the day it will be her decision. Her biggest want for the change is she has always wanted a Subaru, she wants AWD, she wants a less expensive car. I understand the 4Runner is, well, a 4Runner. Our biggest and only concern is the reliability. I'm not above routine maintenance and such but are the CVT's something to be that scared about?

15. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I would negotiate the purchase and trade separately. Negotiate OTD price on the Outback, then mention/negotiate the trade value of the yota. I'd see what other dealerships will offer on the yota, outright, as well.

As far as optioning up the Outback to make up any difference, if I were in that position, I'd take the higher trade-in value to take off the taxable base of the new purchase. Even if it only saves you a couple/few hundred bucks in tax.

I think he's implying that you'll be hit with the steepest part of the depreciation curve on 2 successive vehicles.

Nhibbs likes this.
  16. iridium7777

you've sunk money into your 4runner since 2014 that you're not getting back, sure you got a car out of it, but trading a car after 2 years is not a good bang.

you don't know how you're going to make up the 2K difference (unless you sell yourself), whatever you're going to get from the dealer to make up the difference (options that you don't want) or warranty/other fluff that people pass on is pure margin for them so you're pissing that 2K away.

and in the end you have a car that cost exactly what your 4 runner did, so how is that "she wants a cheaper car"? or are you talking about gasoline consumption here or is it some perception thing that you think a 4runner is a status car and outback isn't?

Nhibbs likes this.
  17. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Find a Subaru Ambassador on here with a $500 off your best deal coupon...and make buying the Subaru all that more enjoyable :)

18. bnkrpt311

I get what you're saying.

I meant cheaper for her month to month. We'd have a smaller payment with the Outback.

19. iridium7777

honestly, my suggestion to you would be not to buy anything until you get rid of your 4runner on your own, at least that way you're going to get top $ for it. then go buy a certified outback that's going to give you 7yrs of warranty and actually will be below the price that you get for your 4runner, and you may be able to get a better optioned one.

20. bnkrpt311

I've heard the Ambassador name tossed around before, what is a Subaru Ambassador? If I can get a $500 coupon that'd be great!

21. bnkrpt311

It's worth a shot. It's hard to sell expensive vehicles via the autotrader/Craigslist route but it doesn't hurt to try for a bit. Thanks.

22. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

There are a few threads started by ambassadors. Search "ambassador" and than pm those members to see who might have a $500 coupon. They're out there.

23. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Are headgaskets still an inevitable issue for the NA motors (I'm outta touch as to what that currently is) that Subaru stuffs into their bread and butter cars?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  24. tangledupinblu

I don't believe so. Pretty sure that they replaced the craptastic gaskets a while back.

25. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I've still got a couple coupons! PM me and we can go from there. Good read. Good luck with the search for the right one for you and the family!

26. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

You won't get KBB trade-in at a dealer. Ever. Sorry man, but you'll be lucky to get $26,000 from the dealer. The 2.5i premium is $27,395 MSRP, so maybeeee you can talk them down to $26,000. Whatever cash you've sunk into the Toyota is now out the window (which it was anyway, since a car is a depreciating asset).

Sell the Toyota on your own if this is the route you truly want to go. Otherwise, just pay down the 4runner ASAP and enjoy the nicer vehicle. Having no car payment is the way to go. You can always buy an older Subaru from someone here on the forums with cash.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  27. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Lol if all you care about is your month to month payment you should just lease.
    At this point you owe almost the same on the 4runner as buying the new outback, switching to the outback now will cost you more in the long run. Not to mention the 4runner will definitely be more reliable than a POS oil burning Subaru (they claim to have fixed the FB's oil consumption issues but there are still horror stories with the updated engine) not to mention the 2.5i in that huge Outback will feel sooo slow.
    Keep the 4runner.

idget likes this.
  28. UnquenchableOne

Lol @ Subaru club ppl saying not to get a subaru.... do what the Mrs wants and gl with it! my Mrs mother got the car your Mrs wants and loves it, and my Mrs is driving her old one and I drove it for the month till my wrx came in. Thought they are great cars.

drac77 and TMF like this.
  29. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

I'm a sales person at Minnetonka as a few others have mentioned. I would love to help with your process if I can!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions or if you would like to set up an appointment.

Mike

30. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

That is because this Subaru forum has people capable of basic math and logic. If you want subaru fanboys to tell you to make bad decisions the MNSubiez Facebook group is that way------->

Deathly likes this.
  31. bnkrpt311

I was simply asking questions about the process with making this trade. I understand the ramifications and numbers involved. While I appreciate the input, a move like this would benefit our situation right now.:thumbup:

32. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Ok then, trade in the 4runner to the dealer you are buying from and make sure to negotiate both of them together and only discuss with the salesman in monthly payments (because that's all that matters of course) so you have no idea what kind of deal you are getting or how much it will actually cost you! :bounce:
    Your salesman will love you and you will be super duper happy with your decision! Then you can come back to this forum and start a thread asking "how much oil is normal for me to have to add in between 6000 mile oil changes? Does 4 quarts seem like a lot to anyone?" :coffee:

33. bnkrpt311

I never stated that the monthly payment was top priority.

34. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I apologize for the acrimonious crowd (I'm not singling you out either nhibbler). If you research the oil consumption issues, it looks like Subaru has addressed the issue and recalled the effected vehicles. I would rest assured that a 2017 model will have the issues sorted out, and if not, the engine is under warranty for 5 years/60k. That's one of the perks of paying top dollar for a brand new car.

To your original question:
    1. It's unlikely that you will get KBB trade-in. The only way to get an accurate trade-in value, is to have them evaluate your trade in person. (ask me how I know...I got burned on my trade-in value. I was buying mine out of state and a trade-in price was "offered" in an email, pending inspection...it had 0 issues. They low-balled me by about $2k when I showed up to complete the transaction. For that reason, I won't ever get a trade-in value unless I'm in person, and I also am going to strive to sell my used vehicle outright instead of trading it in).
    2. If you really don't want to sell the 4runner outright, negotiate your price on the new vehicle first, then talk about the trade-in. If your trade-in is more, the dealer might write you a check for the difference.
    (FYI, Morries doesn't negotiate on purchase price, but they might on trade-in value).
    3. Stop at CarMax and get a trade-in quote. It takes all of 20 minutes, and I believe the trade-in quote is good for 7 days. If Morries isn't even close to carmax's price, you can go trade it in at carmax and go back to the dealer.
    4. Remember to factor in the tax credit if you trade it in somewhere else (e.g., you won't get the credit). When you trade-in a vehicle, you only pay the tax on the difference.
    For example:
    Purchase price: $27k
    Tax (6.5%), with no trade: $1,755
    Tax (6.5%) with trade worth $26k: $65
    So unless Carmax's quote is $1,690 or more than Morries, it will be a better deal to trade it into Morries.

In my opinion:
    1. Consider selling your 4runner outright to get the most for it. As I mentioned before, it should sell quick.
    2. Consider buying a certified pre-owned model, or even one that is ~1 year old. You will save a considerable amount for a practically new car.

I hope this info helps! You're up to $.04 of my opinion lol

tangledupinblu and JuStaWRX like this.
  35. bnkrpt311

Well my wife and I picked up our new Outback on Saturday afternoon and we couldn't be happier. I worked with Mike @Squiggly throughout the week and agreed to all the numbers. My wife did decide that she wanted to lease this time around so we showed up and went through a super simple delivery process with Mike and were out the door. I can't say enough positive things about the car and dealing with Morrie's in Minnetonka. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and info on here. Also, a huge thanks to @JuStaWRX for the Subaru Ambassador coupon!

Here's the new family hauler:

[​IMG]

36. iridium7777

crazy, in almost 2020 or whenever your lease is up, you will have made car payments for 6+ years and you'll have 0 equity to show for it.

ocie and Nhibbs like this.
  37. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Equity is overrated. Its all about dat monthly payment and free maintenance. :cigar:

38. bnkrpt311

You guys are too much haha

Again, I understand this wasn't the "best" financial decision in the world but I'm ok with it and it works for our situation.

39. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Mental gymnastics status: Olympic champ.

40. UnquenchableOne

Hey grats on the car! I think my wife will end up getting an outback or impreza for her next car once the 2005 forester dies for some reason. At 240k miles it is still doing great though.

41. bnkrpt311

You seem like you have a hard time understanding that someone can make a decision based on multiple factors instead of strictly finances.

42. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Your username is bankrupt.

Either way, that's quite the erroneous assumption - I bought a Subaru. Hey, look, you made a decision I wouldn't. I'm glad you and your wife are happy. Enjoy the Outback.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  43. bnkrpt311

Forgive my response, I took your gymnastics post a little more sinister than you apparently made it out to be. I forget that enthusiast forums are a terrible place to discuss new car purchases, the financial advisers tend to come out of the woodwork.

Also, FWIW, I did end up getting what I consider to be a good trade-in on the Toyota. In the end we are loving our decision.

44. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Leasing a Subaru is a great decision! My self, as well as just about every employee at our dealership leases rather than buys new. Compared to a 10 year ownership plan, sure you're missing out on a couple thousand dollars but a considerably lower monthly payment and always being in a nice new and updated car is worth it. Plus you don't have to worry about any real maintenance aside from oil changes and tire rotations.

Mike

tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  45. tangledupinblu

But...cun haz no modz Squiggles!?

I kid! Leasing seems like a really good idea if interested in constantly upgrading to a new model every few years! Nuttin' wrong with that!