New Member from chicago!!!

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by tonyM, Jun 7, 2008.

1. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tony, and I am moving up to Minnesota in october. My fiance is from there, and we decided about 3 months ago, that when our lease is up in our current apartment, we're heading up north. I'll be up there quite a bit from now till then, we have to figure out where we're going to live still, and I might have to transfer to my job before october. Anyway, I look foward to meeting you all, and experiencing what Min/SP has to offer!
    heres a couple pictures of my car....
    very stock, i have quite a few parts to put on still, i just havent had time.

2. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

welcome!

3. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

Welcome to MnSubie.

Come to some of meetings to meet everyone.

...well, not "meeting" but gathering/hanging out.

4. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

hey thanks guys. when i move up i will be comming to the meets. im pretty active as far as meets go for nasioc and notfwd down here. i cant wait.
    i love it up there.

5. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

Welcome!

6. WRXEcho

WRXEcho Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

7. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

welcome! firestone is a weekly thing, i encourage swinging in even in the wint3r

8. Bradimus

Bradimus New Member

Hello

9. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

thanks alot everyone!
    so whats the deal on snow crosses up there?
    are there alot? im really looking foward to running some of those and rally crosses too.

10. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

11. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Welcome to Mnsubie!!! What part of Chi town you from. I was at one of their regular meet in shaumburg last year. Cool peeps down there.

12. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

Welcome... :)

13. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Welcome... looking forward to having you on with us on this crazy adventure...

14. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Welcome, nice bugeye.

15. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

oh my god......that looks like so much fun!!!!!!!

i live in "buck town" just about 1 mile north west of downtown....

i cant wait. you guys seem like a pretty solid group up there.
    thanks!
    thanks man, took me for ever to find one with the miles and condition that shes in.

16. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

My GF (now wife) and I lived in Lakeview and Wrigleyville for 6 years.

If you're looking for the same "feel" as Bucktown I would suggest Nordeast Mpls or somewhere in the Uptown area. Also some similar neighborhoods in St. Paul...really depends on where you think you might end up working.

17. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Keep yourself updated with the "Events" section of the forum. Rally-x and other dirt sports occasionally pop up.

By the way, welcome to MNSubaru.

18. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Yu wan race? lolz I gotz JDM yO!! This year should be interesting. Lots of crazy cars up here, fast and fun Subarus. Hopefully there are a few to give ya a helping hand when doing installs.

I know nothing.
    Welcome!

19. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

you made it! good group hear and look forward to seeing you at some meets

20. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I cant figure out whether your avatar is a crotch shot or a lovely pair of breasts.. either way it has kept me intrigued for the last 5mins staring... h aha

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

now dont go ruining it for me and telling me its a lamp or glass or something...

21. M155L3R

M155L3R Well-Known Member

Welcome!

22. supar6

supar6 New Member

Greetings.

23. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

actualy, thats where she said we'd be looking. I'm really laid back, i just want 2 things, it has to be a house, i need a garage. other than that, i dont really care. we're cramped where we live now. i have to share a garage with some slobs that dont keep it up their side. ive been looking up there and i see houses that are "rent to own" in mn, for less than we pay for rent on our apartment. so i cant wait to save some of my hard earned money.

thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :banana: looking at the pictures from the lax ride, makes me wish we were up there already.3 months and counting.

24. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

I see lamp, and I see crotch, but I can't quite pull breasts out of that image.

25. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

Northeast MPLS, is a really cool area, and you are still close to just about everything.

:biggrin:

26. Soupboy

I'd recommend checking out some short term rentals before jumping into ownership. There was a lot of speculative condo/loft development right up into and during the current housing slump and I'm not sure we've seen bottom yet even though there are some seemingly *good* deals being shopped.

For about 75% of my 1BR Wrigleyville rent with outdoor parking spot (near L) we got a 2BR deluxe apartment in the sky on Lake Calhoun with underground parking, gym, pool, rooftop deck, etc.

I'd bet there are a plethora of fully-furnished rentals that might be a fun way to try a couple areas before committing long term. If your heart is set on buying I'd recommend something in an established older neighborhood like a classic Nordeast bungalow vs. some fancy new "old" loft in Uptown.

My $0.02.

27. Soupboy

World's first halogen illuminated crotch.

28. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

yeah, we're looking all over. whats the neighborhood called in that area? im still learning. but the suggestions are awsome guys! thanks so much
    only problem with short term, is we have a house full of furniture, and i really dont want to end up moving a few times. Minneapolis/saint paul will be my permanent home for the rest of our lives, so im looking to get as settled asap. im 31, so i need to start paying off a mortgage soon, so i can build some equity and beable to retire. I guess i also have a chip on my shoulder from all the slumlords ive been dealing with here. so i'd love to own.
    what are some names of neighborhoods that you'd recommend to buy?

29. Soupboy

Depends on #BR, sq/ft, and budget... I've got a good friend who is a R/E agent and GC/remodeler that specializes in the neighborhoods I referenced. PM me if you're interested in just chatting with her - she has a great handle on the 'hoods and inventory available.

30. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

absolutly, thanks so much. pm comming your way now

31. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

They usually just call it Northeast...some people say Nordeast... otherwise St.Anthony Falls/St.Anthony is pretty much tied in there too. If you go any farther north and west of that area, that is where you start to hear gunshots. So, if the prices seem too good to be true, there might be a reason. Make sure you ask around!

32. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

I missed the rest of your post... there are many areas that are great to live, I guess it is just a matter of figuring out if you want to be in the thick of it all in the city, or in suburbs/country. From the sound of it...city?

I know a few people in real estate too if you need any help.

33. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

Joose! HaHa w3Lc0m3z

you'll never meet me, but you'll see me do a ricer fly-by!

34. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

i feel like a lame tourist when i learn something local. i feel all cool now.
    actualy, i want to move to a quiet burb. i heard about 20 gunshots last night, so i'd love to be able to feel safe in my neighborhood. i dont even want to hear cars. or bums, or crackheads, or anything like that.
    yes, joose is nasty, but it does the trick!
    well, as long as you do that, it'll feel like everyday im driving my car down the highway here. i'll feel right at home!

35. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

welcome to the club... hope to see you at some of the meets..

36. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Wayzata is the place for you. Or Eden Prairie. Two of the quietest neighborhoods ever.

Also welcome.

37. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

i hate living in Eden Prairie.

38. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

thanks, i will definatly be sticking around here and once i get up north, count me in for most of the meets for sure!
    thank you! case in point, the gunshots i heard last night made the chicago news tonight.
    Chicago, IL. --
    A 15-year-old CPS student was fatally shot and a man was critically wounded in a drive-by shooting Monday night in the Logan Square neighborhood on the Northwest Side. The teen is the 23rd CPS student killed by gun violence this year.

No one was in custody as of 4 a.m. Tuesday in the possibly gang-related slaying, police said.

Ignacio Montano, of 4301 W. Fullerton Ave., was fatally shot at 2742 N. Monticello Ave. and pronounced dead on the scene at 11:05 p.m. Monday, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
    yeah, I'm bit bit sick of this sh**. I hate hearing it when im trying to go to sleep.
    whys that?

39. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

the cops alone are enough reason NOT to live in Eden Prairie. Personally, I would say Wayzata where Eli is living, parts of Hopkins,or Minnetonka

40. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

you mean getting pulled over for being loud, or too low, or for whatever?
    if so, i will definatly think twice. my car is loud as hell, and seems to be a target. not that i do anything illegal, its just a pain.

41. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

hah, wow, 20 gunshots... yeah that will do it to ya. sad that there are so many deaths with this violence.

white bear lake is a nice area, about 20 miles out from downtown...right next to mahtomedi where my parents live. maplewood and north st.paul are ok, but you have to find the right areas. st.louis park and edina are nice, but usually top dollar--same with minnetonka. hopkins is ok, as it is near all of those but has a bit lower prices on stuff. woodbury is also decent.

If I had my choice of a place to have a house right now, I would honestly choose the white bear lake area, possibly stillwater also. minnetonka would be quite nice in my opinion. If I were going for a loft or an apartment, or any sort of condo living, I would definately go for downtown, or northeast...or possibly the st.louis park area.

i'm sure you will find your way, but thats just my two cents.

42. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

heard shots in the park again last night. once the weather warms up, these idiots are comming out.

anyway, i saw some nice places in st.louis park. i also went over this thread with my fiance, and she agrees with alot of whats being recommended. she hasnt lived in the citys for the better part of a decade, so she understands she doesnt know it all anymore.

im going to start calling on some properties up there. maybe they can start telling me if they know of things opening up in the begining of october. i got alot to do and figure out in the next 3.5 months.

43. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

nice... you guys are making progress. just stay away from the bus lines. I used to work over in st.louis park and the robberies/break ins and car thefts are on the rise in certain retail areas---seems like they cruise the bus lines. Really nice areas to live, but for some reason the trouble is making its way over there, which is unfortunate. Nothing really violent, but still trouble.

44. Soupboy

Good variety of inventory in the notorious SLP...we're on our second home and 7th year here after renting in Uptown after moving back from Chi. We wouldn't consider another location unless we won a home on Lake of the Isles.:yumyum:

Good central location, close to DT (read: affordable cab rides for *those* nights), stable home prices in the established neighborhoods. Be wary of new condo developments anywhere.

45. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

wow, Us moving north is comming quick! about a month and a half. we have plans to come up soon to start looking at houses. we're going on an almost 2 week vacation, so when we get back, there will only be a month left. WOW time flies