New member, new to Minnesota...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by readymix, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Cottage Grove from San Diego, California. Looking forward to warmer weather :). I am an active member of WRXFanatics.com, my nickname on there is readymix also.

You guys have a great site from what I have seen so far. It rocks there is a Subaru community up here. Unfortunately, my car is in San Diego mode, and wont be out of the garage all winter. But I am planning on buying my wife a new Legacy GT before December, so hopefully I see some of you on the road this winter. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Wellcome Jason, Nice and clean:D

3. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

welcome...even though im still here in merced,gettofornia....but hopefully i'll also come back to my home land.....

4. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Welcome and very nice ride!

C :D

5. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Lookin' good, man! Hope to see your car sometime. :)

If you're ever going to turn on your motor in cold Minnesota temps, don't do what I did. I kept the california coolant in the motor to run in the winter, and it froze on me. The ending result was a blown radiator cap, but it sure scared the hell out of me when I saw a cloud of white smoke behind me. :eek:

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Welcome! Gorgeous car.

Waiting for warmer weather you say? pssshhhh......this is nothing, I think somebody needs to buy themselves a new jacket.

7. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Welcome to the club

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

If you're ever going to turn on your motor in cold Minnesota temps, don't do what I did. I kept the california coolant in the motor to run in the winter, and it froze on me. The ending result was a blown radiator cap, but it sure scared the hell out of me when I saw a cloud of white smoke behind me. :eek:
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm glad I didn't do that when I drove up from L.A. :p

8. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Nice to meet you :D

9. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

nice rims

10. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by masube81

Welcome to Minnesota and nice Ride I mean nice Rice.:D
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ma, it's only rice when the stickers actually give the car HP. I think they're for bling-bling.

11. 1SIKWRX

1SIKWRX New Member

nice car. moved from ghettofornia to murdasota? wow...haha.

12. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

welcome to our paradise.
    I love the winter time, my turbo loves the -30 degree ambient air temp.

13. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

Hey it's a fellow Californian. Welcome!

14. readymix

Thanks for the warm welcome...it is about the only warm thing I have seen so far. I know the stickers are kinda ricey, but I got the parts to back it up, so I figured the stickers were ok. They grow on you.
    I have added some extra antifreeze for the winter, just in case I have to drive it. But as far as I am concerned, it will stay in the garage till April. But when the warmer weather starts rolling back in, I will be rolling it out. Hopefully you guys have alot of meets or whatever going on around here.

15. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

welcome and the antifreeze will be nice for your car. ask Fong. He knows all about anitfreeze. water just doesnt cut it in MN weather.

16. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

Welcome! i'm pretty sure that WRX won't be in the garage too long. Once you get a glimspe of us tearing up parkinglots full of snow :D. btw are those wheels volks?

17. readymix

Unfortunately, no, they aren't Volks. I am working on possibly selling these off and getting some SE37s in the future. For now, they will work though.

18. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

WelcomE!

19. 1SIKWRX

1SIKWRX New Member

I saw your name on WRXFanatics.com, with your mod list. Wow, a lot of power.

20. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

the ride looks sweet! Welcome to cold MN. You sure you don'y want to join us for the winter fun runs?

21. readymix

Actually, I am buying a new Legacy for my wife. So I might be able to enjoy the snow this winter :D

22. masube81

masube81 Well-Known Member

nice.....well get a 05 Legacy so there would be more Legacies in the club.

23. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Nice car and welcome! I live in Cottage Grove too:D

24. TeamMNS

TeamMNS New Member

Welcome to the club. Nice ride... very clean.

25. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

readymix - nice car man! welcome to mn, hope you warm up to it ;)
    I'll be looking for your ride next spring... I'm sure you turbo will appreciate the cooler weather - i've enjoyed stretching mine out now that we're seeing 34* occasionally. Enjoy the new GT if you go that way, that looks like a pretty sweet car too.
    p.s. the stickers aren't rice, they're race! :cool:

26. readymix

You might have already seen me. Only I was driving my Ford Escape work vehicle. I have seen about 5 different Imprezas since I have been here. All of them travelling down or up HWY 61.

Black 02-03 WRX Sedan
    Silver 02-03 WRX Wagon
    Silver 02-03 WRX Sedan
    White 04-05 WRX Wagon
    And an STi, forgot the color.

Any of you guys been on the 61 HWY in the past two weeks...say around noon, or around 5pm?

27. readymix

Also, are there any laws concerning modifications up here? I am coming from California where if I got pulled over, I would pretty much need an engine swap to be legal. I have my 3rd Cat, but that is pretty much it. And that will be gone this winter ;)
    And thanks again for the nice comments :)

28. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Of all the times I've been pulled over no cop has ever looked under my hood or under my car for a cat, which is gone. I don't think they care too much but there's always those few cops.

29. readymix

Well, that is good to know. I was walking on tiptoes around San Diego those last few months. I didn't want to have to fly back there to pay a fix it ticket fine.

30. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Welcome to Minnesota! i hope you like snow and really cold weather. your car looks sweet, i hope to see it cruising around some time. as for the cops here, although i havent heard of any looking for cats, i have heard of them pulling people over becuase their car looks "street racer" like, and giving out tickets for it. dont ask me why.

31. cantcatchme

cantcatchme New Member

if your exhaust is too loud they will pull you over. my buddy got a ticket for a loud exhaust. i have no cats on my04 wrx. and a hks exhaust. havent been pulled over yet.

32. readymix

Yeah, I got the HKS catback too. I am surprised it hasn't gotten me a ticket yet.

33. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Wow, thats alot of mods

34. readymix

Yeah, I'm an addict. It is my only hobby though, so if I wanted another hobby, my wife would quickly slap my face and tell me no, then point at my car as she swats my hinder with a rolled up newspaper.

35. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

6pot front, 4pot rear? woah, loving your braking?

36. TeamMNS

TeamMNS New Member

WOW... you have done alot of mods on you wrx. I think there maybe a new fastest wrx in MN.

37. readymix

Really? I am middle of the road in San Diego. And if you guys need any help with installs or whatever, let me know. I have a big garage, and I love to buy tools. Plus I did all my mods myself. Just wait till spring, I am not used to the cold yet.

38. rallywrx

rallywrx New Member

Hi Readymix, Glad to see that you've made it to MN. I'm on WRX fanatics as drex28. See ya around.

39. TeamMNS

TeamMNS New Member

How do you like your HKS exhaust? I thinking about getting the carbon-ti one they make. Is it a deep sounding exhaust?

40. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Team, I don't know about the FASTEST since he only has a VF34 and Brian, who use to be the owner of S3 (recently sold) had a VF23... I'm sure someone out there has a garrett or something.. Hey readymix, do you know how to install fuel pressure gauges? (electronic) It's for my 1g dsm but it shouldn't be too different.

41. readymix

rallywrx:
    You were the guy with the pics of the ice racing...:D Hi there.

TeamMNS:

HKS exhaust has a nice deep sound, no 'fart' at all. It is especially intimidating at low RPMs.

BlackDubRX:

The VF23 turbo has a lower volume of air at 18psi than does the VF34. The VF23 can expect 430CFM @ 18.0 psi while the VF34 will push 460CFM at 18.0psi. The VF23's spool characteristics are quite different though. The smaller compressor housing makes for a faster spool, good for a significant low end and mid range punch, while the VF34 is more of an all around mid-range performer with less low end. Each has its benefits. So I am not sure that just the turbo itself is going to decide the faster of the two cars. But I doubt I am the fastest. The VF34 isn't exactly the biggest or the baddest thing out there.

42. readymix

As for the fuel pressure gauge, you pretty much hit me with one of the few things I haven't installed. But I would be willing to bet that you will cut a fuel line and put a T connection in there. Then you would put the fuel pressure sensor on the T and have it send to the gauge. The only thing I am not sure of, and this is probably because it is early in the morning, is whether or not the sensor goes before or after the filter.

43. readymix

BTW. You might catch a glimpse of my car tomorrow as I am driving to Cold Spring as a "Last drive before wint0r!" and to visit family out there. I will be taking 61N to 94W out past St. Cloud. If you are on the road, you might see me :D

"Look to the East, Frodo, an 8000K HID will shine from the East to alert you of my coming."

44. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

As far as the fuel pressure gauge, I was talking to one of the few dsm gurus around here, he says you need to modify the banjo bolt on the fuel pump. I have no idea how it would work but I'm sure I can find instructions with all the dsm info floating around.

45. readymix

Why would the fuel pump matter? I guess it is a DSM thing. But wouldn't you want to know pressure closer to the injectors? That is where it really matters...then again, the entire line pressure should be constant. I just assume that you would want the pressure sensor tapped off the fuel line going to the rail. That way you know how much fuel pressure is at the rail. I haven't seen your sensor though, so I don't know how it is connected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.