New Ru?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by putz, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I've got an 06' WRX TR, with 9,000 miles on the clock, I'm thinking of trading it in for an 04' STI with 30,000 miles. Dealer says they want trade plus $4,000.00. Should I even consider that?

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Hell no.

3. putz

putz Well-Known Member

what should I counter offer?

4. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

Why do you want an STI instead of your wrx? If you want more hp, I think you can put $4k (maybe less) into your current car and come out ahead.

5. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

what they all said....

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

well in theory its a bad idea, what do you want from the car? the tranny is the weakest point

7. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

If anything, sell your car OUTRIGHT then buy a STi. I wouldnt buy an 04 though, first year they came out, 05+ STi's are much better.

8. putz

putz Well-Known Member

well, I like the interior the look the rims, the trany, The motor. Whats not to like?

9. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I got the tarded "TR" seats and interior.

10. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Well, you have the same motor in your WRX, just a smaller turbo and intercooler...I think. I can understand about the tranny, brakes ect......
    Whatever you do, dont trade it in, Just ask Ray,,,dealers like to rape you,,,sell outright then buy a STi :biggrin:

11. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Trade-ins aren't all bad. I traded my Civic SI in for a WRX. Morrie's gave me $12k for Civic, though I could have sold for ~$13k. The trade-in was way better because you don't have to pay tax on the trade, just the difference.

12. putz

putz Well-Known Member

It's close to the same motor, but I agree on the sell it outright idea, I guess what I asking, is $19,000.00 fair for trade in? and is $23,000.00 a fair price for a STI with 30,000 miles?

13. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

14. putz

putz Well-Known Member

what do they do if you are upside down on you existing loan. like say I owe $21,000 and they give me $19,000.00 for trade, would you say extremly bad idea?

15. putz

putz Well-Known Member

KBB.COM = allways wrong

16. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Sounds like your answering your own questions. Why go upside down for a car thats 2 years older with more miles on it? sounds like you trying to make excuses to make a bad decision.

17. putz

putz Well-Known Member

It's tempting.

18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

The best advice on here.

If you're talking power, all you need is >$500 for a downpipe & midpipe for the '06. That plus a tune will run with the STI no problem.

19. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

then you end up more upside down.

This is what they want.

20. Saabaru

Saabaru Well-Known Member

Why didn't you buy an '04 STi in the first place?

21. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

or just do what I did:

VF39
    Sti intercooler
    GM BS
    Turbo back
    Open ECU Tune
    13.117 1/4 mile 1.9 60ft(I'm thinking high 12's with a 1.7 60ft)

I spent about around $900.

And to answer your other questions:

Trade in $19,000
    you owe $21,000
    STi: $23,000

new loan is going to be around $25500. Is it worth it? I don't know its up to you. I personally was thinking about trading mine in for a 08 Forester Sport XT. But to have another loan for another 5 to 6 years, that kinda scares me since I only have 3.5 years left and I have positive equity in my ride right now. My new loan would be about $24k.
    My payments would jump about $100 bucks which I really can't afford it right now. But If we here at WBL had a Aspen White Forester Sport XT I would have done it with a hear beat. If I'm gonna dig a hole I might as well get what I really want then just to settle.

On a side note I checked with our SOA rep. and he said right now there are only 17 white sport XT currently available. I think they should have made more since thats a color most people would perfer then the Sedona Red.

22. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Seriously man, the only sti I would consider trading my 06 wrx in for is a non blue 07. Have you test driven the 04 sti you're looking at? I personally hate the gear ratios. You have a nice car and you drive it pretty well. Throw some decent rubber on it along with a downpipe and a tune and see how you like it...

23. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Motor is the same. Top to bottom. The VF39 can be had for next to nothing as lots of STi owners ditch them anyway. Really, the only thing you are behind with is the transmission, but as long as you don't drive like Tux121, you wont have a problem with it. Lots of people go for long periods of time without breaking the WRX tranny. The 04 STi they are trying to sell you is listed at 23,000, but after financing and such, it will come to around 25...so you pay 6k more for an older car with more mileage, PLUS you pay 2k to clear the loan. So, you just took 8k + 19k = 27k to own that 04STi. This is a dumb idea, up and down. Ask wall of tvs about 06 WRX's and the kind of power they can make on STOCK bits...you'd be surprised.

24. Taras

Taras BANNED

Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. I learned this the hard way. you can read my WMC thread and see for your self.

25. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

just keep the WRX, you can get a full STi driveline for 5grand or less. that's 26k for newer car and less mileage. As mentioned,you already have the motor, just lack the driveline.

26. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

Ill trade ya straight up.... 02 wrx with STI tranny brakes suspension and interior and my buddy is selling me his 07 STI motor... (hydro locked)... LOL just a thought. Keep your car... Take that 4k you were about to spend and find someone with a totaled STI (easier said then done but i found one) and buy his tranny. but in the mean time... Spend a lil bit of cash and make that thing faster than the STI.... 06 hawkeye FTW!!!

27. putz

putz Well-Known Member

COOL, thanks for your opinions, I will take that to heart, I test drove it, it was pretty cool, but the gears in the 06' wrx make it feel like it has more torque, GRANTED THERE WERE 4 200lbs people in the STI for the test drive, two of them were sales people. The wife isn't happy that I'm even thinking about this.

28. putz

putz Well-Known Member

Thanks, it was a little loose on the backside of rthe track, those re92's sure do spin. It sounded cool sqeeling through those gates but IT SURE WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HOOK-UP AND GET SOME TRACTION.

29. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

Devils Advocate here...To the OP: I understand your want for an STI man. No matter what the others say, there is no car that will equate to the real deal. Stick to your guns, if you want one, get one. I promise you won't be disappointed.

23 is close for an 04. I did A LOT of shopping before I bought my 05'. I found the right model '05 for 23,300. You can definitely do better on the price. If you are willing to expand your search to non local, cars.com is your friend. So is IWSTI :)

Good Luck.

30. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

I'm in absolute agreement and I have an 04 STI. I would kill for a 5 speed or a newer 6 speed gearbox with the different ratios. You have the same engine + the tranny with better gearing. I'd put some money into the WRX and walk the STI's frumroll. Just my .02.

31. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Did you say FRUM ROLLLSZZZ>>>>???

32. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

More than you can afford pal :cool:FRUMMROLLZ

33. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I HEAR YOU, I HEAR YOU, some one please tell me why you don't like the gearing, or why it sucks.

34. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

that aint Devils Advocate... thats just silly advice.... his wife isnt happy, his bank account isnt happy, he has a newer car, that with a few mods would keep up with STi's..... if not walk them...

OP... if you want an STi just get one of those silly wings on your car... end of story....

35. putz

putz Well-Known Member

also, please tell me the positive side of owning the 04' sti 6 speed. there have got to be people out there that think that

- sti 6 speed+6 disc changer+STI interior+vf39+bbs golds+STI intercooler+IC Sprayer = worth $4,000.00 ?

36. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

I still wouldn't do it. I don't have a 04 sti but I do have a 06 TR. maybe you should drive a modded 06 that might change your mind. And all those parts could be had except the tranny for less than $2000.

37. putz

putz Well-Known Member

so who is going to give me a ride before 5:30 today?

38. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

I think the brembos and the interior are the main sell points for the STI in your case. The 6 speed is a very solid tranny for quality but the gears are really short. It feels like you are constantly shifting and I promise it will become annoying. Becuase of the shorter gears you will have an awesome stoplite car but a horrible freeway car. You'll upgrade the IC and your sprayer will be useless if you go big power.

39. istoptofly

istoptofly Well-Known Member

this is a fact, I have all this on my 06 and have run against an '04 STi with similar mods and it was damn even. ......couple more mods and bye bye STI!! :laugh:

40. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

As silly as it may sound, I am just trying to respond with his original post in mind, not advise him on his life decisions.

For some it's not about modding a wrx to make it go faster than an STI.

41. putz

putz Well-Known Member

so, what would an STI with dp and a tune do to your 06'?

42. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

I could give you a ride in mine I'm at the dealership till 6pm at White Bear Lake.

43. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

Stoplite I would bet on the STI. Freeway would be a good race.

44. putz

putz Well-Known Member

SO HERES THEIR OFFER... they will give me the pay off amount of my car for trade in,
    $21,984.00 and charge me an additional
    + $4,000.00 plus sales tax and steaership fees,
    -----------
    = bad deal for any financial situation.

45. TrisNiN

TrisNiN Well-Known Member

So your looking at $30K for a 2004 STI with 30K miles... Bad Idea... Financially a stupid decision, that car was slightly more when it was new. Talk about a hike in payment for what you could make ur car into an STI for..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.