New shoes for the wife

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pleiades, Feb 27, 2018.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Just placed an order for some goodies to install on our '15 Legacy. I'd been wanting to get a separate set of summer wheels and tires for a while and her old ones are finally ready for replacement so it seemed to be the right time. Ended up going with a set of Rotiform SPF's (sample pic attached). I wasn't very familiar with them but when I mentioned them to my Audi-obsessed friend he told me they're very popular in the Deutschewagon community. Got a little ambitious and went with a 20x8.5 +45 which will be paired with some 245/35 tires, a setup that appears to have been pulled off successfully in the LGT forums. Obviously I'm still keeping the factory 18's and snow tires for winter. I also have a set of H&R 1.3" lowering springs on the way that will be going in at the same time, really hoping that won't affect fitment or ride very much but it's a pretty minimal drop so I'm optimistic. Pics will be coming once the parts start arriving and the install is underway, but in the meantime you may all start flaming me for lowering a Subaru and putting "dubs" on it.

20180227_141822.jpg

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I had H&R springs on my 05 wagon when I bought it used. I was not impressed with the ride. It was not really firm or soft just kinda all around blah/

3. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

Curious to see how it looks! I bet it won't be too bad on the newer "big" leggys.

4. pleiades

I had H&R's on my '96 A4 some years ago and I thought the same thing. Not really looking to firm up the ride as it will continue to be a DD, plus the shorter sidewall will be a little harsher.

5. pleiades

I was really considering sticking with 18's or maybe going up to 19's but with how big the new Legacy is and how tall the tires are it seemed like 20" would actually look about right.

6. JasonoJordan

Paired with the right damper they are supposedly a decent spring. But the spring rate and damper rate of stock struts/stock replacement struts at least on the gen3 wagons were just not a good match.

7. pleiades

Maybe that's changed now (for the 6th gen at least), on the LGT forums they seem to be well-liked and appear to be engineered to match the OEM struts fairly well.

JasonoJordan likes this.
  8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

*flame*

:D

SkeetsWisconny and pleiades like this.
  9. derp

derp Well-Known Member

lol brotiforms.

might as well do a plaid headliner and a beer tap shift knob that also works as a butt plug.

next you'll start tossing around terms like 'hellaflush' and 'oem plus'.

From there, it's deciding you're not low enough, so you'll find a set of coilovers that closely resemble racelands and don't cost more than 500 bucks new because '****'s tite'

after that, you need to go lower and those stupid wide tires need to go. 205s or 195s on that 8.5 will do much better, breh. stretch and poke it brah.

after that you'll do a roof rack, despite doing nothing outside of cars that would justify it, but everyone else does it so you have to to otherwise you won't get your scene points.

before we know it you'll be selling all your japanese cars because german cars are clearly superior, and you end up figuring that hitler couldn't have been all bad, he did basically found Volkswagen after all, and they own Audi, and they're god's gift to humanity.

All because of a set of brotiforms.

housemusic1, MrBlue, pillboy and 5 others like this.
  10. pleiades

Damn, I was definitely expecting some sort of flaming from you but that was magnificent. Only thing I didn't see was a reference to wheel spacers, but I assume that would be covered under "stretch and poke it brah."

download (1).jpeg

silver03 and derp like this.
  11. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I'll be here all week :D

tangledupinblu and pleiades like this.
  12. tangledupinblu

I think that you should roll the fenders and bag that bish!!

pleiades likes this.
  13. tangledupinblu

Tuck it in there like in your “sample picture”.

14. pleiades

I really wanted to respond with a screenshot of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs but I'm pretty sure that would be violating forum rules...

tangledupinblu likes this.
  15. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Nice looking wheels. On the right track to a legacy vip build.

pleiades likes this.
  16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine has 19's on his 10 LGT, and they look great. I had 18's on my 12 3.6R, and they almost looked too small. Personally, I think 20's are fine on that car.

As for the springs, hope your wife doesn't mind a rougher ride. I can barely get my wife to ride in my FRS when the Koni's are set to full soft. I haven driven said 10 LGT that has lowering springs (I forget what brand) and the GTWorx Bilstiens, and it is a pretty nice package that handles well, and ride fine on the street...but definitely more firm that stock. I always recommend upgrading struts with lowering springs, but to each their own. I'd try the springs first, and see how they feel. Aftermarket struts are limited for the Legacy's.

17. pleiades

I am fully expecting the ride to be a little rougher, but with only a 1.3" drop I guess I'm expecting a lot of that to be due to the lower profile tires. From what I can gather it sounds like the H&R springs match up with the OEM struts pretty well and other people who have used them on the 6th gen Legacy seem happy with the setup. If it seems bouncy or unbearably harsh then struts will be next, but I'm trying to stay optimistic until I drive it once everything is done.

TMF likes this.
  18. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Is derp morphing into readymix????

Although mix would have used proper capitalization.

derp and pleiades like this.
  19. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Mix and I are actually fairly similar, which is likely a big part of why he and I get along.

20. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

You flamed, but are 100% spot on. This comment wins the internet for the week.

P.S., you forgot to mention that he'll need the annoying ass bosozoku pipes out the rear. #hory sheet!

21. tangledupinblu

I read it like a poem. lol

22. pleiades

I have to admit, despite the insulting nature of Derp's comment I really wasn't offended. I might even go so far as to say I felt honored to have him bestow me with such a berating, and that in itself makes me appreciate MNSubaru all the more. Where else on the internet but here can you see such decorum amongst members?

23. pillboy

derpymix

24. tangledupinblu

Readyderp

pillboy likes this.
  25. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I have little experience with Derp, or really any of you for that matter, but getting destroyed on this forum is "usually" all in good nature. Over on the LGT forum there was a thread about super stretched tires, and Derp didn't pull any punches when the poster was crying about his super cool "rims" getting separated from the tire, due to the extra stupid over stretch on his ultra cool bagged Legacy. It really was a great response. I would link it here, but I'm lazy today. I still find myself going back to the modded JDM front end swap Forester thread, just for a good laugh. Keep up the good work @derp!

derp and pleiades like this.
  26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I do what I can. :)

27. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

This much I know. I have been riding in a rented VW GOL all week on 175/70/14 tires. That size is too small...for just about anything. Don’t get that size either.

pleiades likes this.
  28. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Anxious to see pictures of your dubz on the Legacy. I’ve 19s on my SJ and I think they’re perfect.

29. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Not the greatest pic, but here is a pic of the Legacy GT that I mentioned that has 19's and a slight drop. The Stig also approves.
    [​IMG]

30. pleiades

Finally installed the springs and put on the new wheels today, did all 4 rotors/pads while I had it on the hoist. Aside from the usual minor struggles that come with suspension work, the only real setback I had was the front sway bar links not wanting to come off. Had to make use of a cutoff wheel and take a trip from Maplewood to Bloomington Subaru for a new set (only place with both in stock). Luckily someone in the neighborhood had a sweet Aspen White bugeye for me to run down there with. Thanks again for that @tangledupinblu. Ride didn't change all that much, can feel bumps and cracks in the road a little more but it's not really harsh. Overall pretty happy with it.

Before pic of the filthy Legacy on OEM wheels:
    Screenshot_20180324-230814_Gallery.jpg

And after, all cleaned up on the new ones:
    Screenshot_20180324-230843_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

31. tangledupinblu

Wow, that cleaning really brought it to life! The Brotiforms are sparklin’!;)

pleiades likes this.
  32. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Looks great. The big body legacy swallows up those 20s no problem.

pleiades likes this.
  33. tangledupinblu

It really does. They hardly look any different than the 18” stockers with the drop from the springs!

Looks much better un-tucked, opposite of your Brotiforms sample pic above. Lol

pleiades likes this.
  34. pillboy

The generation prior to that with the SUV fender bulges would have still looked like it had "Little Tikes" wheels on it.

35. JasonoJordan

Looks like a pothole magnet. Hope they are some strong wheels. Have started to see some pretty substantial potholes poping up around the metro in the last week or so.

36. pleiades

download.jpeg

37. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I think it looks fantastic, would totally drive!

pleiades and tangledupinblu like this.