New tires?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by bikerboy, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

So folks, most of you are probably better educated on tires than I am. I need some new tires(wonder why LOL) and I am looking for suggestions.

Must be sticky!

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Not in any order... These are just some of the tires I've compile and looked at this past Spring...

BFGoodrich:
    g-Force T/A KD
    g-Force T/A KDW 2
    g-Force T/A Drag Radial (all out Track tires)

Kumho:
    Ecsta MX
    ECSTA Supra 712
    ECSTA R700 (all out Track tires)

Bridgestone:
    RE070 (STi Stock)
    Potenza S-03 Pole Position

Michelin:
    Pilot Sport PS2
    Pilot Sport Cup (all out Track tires)

Continental:
    ContiSportContact 2

Goodyear:
    Eagle F1 GS-D3 (I personally like this one)
    Eagle F1 Fiorano
    Eagle F1 Supercar

Pirelli:
    PZero Nero
    PZero Corsa

Dunlop:
    SP Sport 9000

Hoosier: (all out Track tires)
    A3S03
    A3S04
    R3S03
    R3S04

Sumitomo:
    HTR Z II

Yokohama:
    AVS Sport
    Advan A048 (all out Track tires)

Toyo:
    Proxes T1-S

Falken:
    Azenis Sport Tire

3. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Toyo T1-S (These are what I'm getting)
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
    Bridgestone S03
    BF Goodrich KD (not for rain!)
    BF Goodrich KDW (loud, but do you care? no.)
    Falken Azenis RS

Just some that pop into mind. All available at either tirerack or edgeracing.com

-Jordan

4. bikerboy

Wow that is quite a list!

What ones can you freind get Vic

5. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

The Falken Azenis tires are very sticky and are the best bang for the buck. American Discount Tire has them for $115 (plus ~$20 each tire for lifetime rotation/balance/nail puncture/etc.) in size 225/45-17. :)

6. yosmiley

Matt, I use to be able to buy any tires (except the Hoosier) at cost... my brother in-law use to work for Goodyear but he was laid off two months ago... I was disappointed too because I was trying to get a good set of ContiXtreme for Russ GF's car. So there goes my connection to cheap tires :(

If you look through the list... the Goodyear GS-D3 is my tire of choice... Mr. Jordy differs my choice and picked the Toyo T1-S over the Goodyear.

7. bikerboy

I have the T1-s on my 18"s they are ok but I was spoiled by the pilots that I used b4

8. yosmiley

Matt is this new set of tire you're buying for track only or both street and track?

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, BFG g-Force T/A KD, Toyo T1-S, Kumho Ecsta MX or Falken Azenis Sport Tire... in that order.

Then again, that's just my tire of choice and everyone here will tell you one way or another... some are looking for the best bang for the buck and I can asure you, some of the listed tires are not cheap.

Don't take this wrong... but with your ability of spirited driving, I don't recommend the Goodyear. You'll need something with less groove heheh :D like SLICKS!

9. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I guess the main question is, how many more dognuts are you going to be doing?? I am not to sure I would be out there whipping it around like that with real sticky tires. I have the s0-3's on my car, and now complaints yet. They get real sticky when hot (at the track), and the handle pretty **** good in the wet.

Russ

10. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

OB1 and the rest of the crew your all in luck, I have a friend from MAC who is also the President of MAC who gets just about any tires from Tirerack.com at cost, except for the new tires that just come out. The only catch besides the normal frieght charge is you have to pay him to mount and balance them, but have no fear it only costs $10.00 a tire, valve stems and disposal fee's. If anyone is interested let me know, I have asked him before and he said everyone in Motorsports is Welcome to make a purchase!

Enjoy!

C :cool:

11. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

falken azenis sport

12. igofast

igofast New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LVT

falken azenis sport
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree. Even though I said I was going to get something with better milage, I caved and went this route. Unfortunately, Tire Rack doesn't carry them, but Discount Tire does as previously stated. I paid $119 for a 225/45/17 and ~$30 in shipping as they didn't have them in stock. I skipped on the warantee as it really doesn't make sense for an AWD car. They still will try to repair the tire if they can free of charge.

13. bikerboy

I would be using these as my track tires so I dont need to be concerned about wear, donuts, weather.

Keep the sugestions coming

Chong I think we will need to talk.

M

14. Musashi

Ob1,

I'm on Vaction remember! :D

I'll pm ya with my new home number!

C

For anyone interested, make sure you put in your email that your with the Mnsubaru club and I refered ya.

Dwight McCullough <[email protected]>

Example:
    Kumho Ecsta MX (Max Performance Summer <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/maxperf.jsp> )
    for your 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    Size: 225/50YR16 Blackwall
    YR Speed Rated Price: $109
    Estimated Availability: Not Available

My cost is $99 per tire. Plus freight, about $40, sales tax, tire valves, mounting.
    Dwight

15. kickin_81

Yeah, and you post this after a lot of us just bought tires. }:)

16. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

Yeah, and you post this after a lot of us just bought tires. }:)

2x Agreed }:):(!

17. Musashi

Who r u talk'n to Mr. F? I dont recall you asking for any suggestions on what tires to buy! Ask and you shall recieve!

And if I offended ya, :mrgreen: You can race me for it this weekend.

C :cool::D :p

18. kickin_81

You're on!!! (But please; don't go faster than 45mph) :I

19. Musashi

Mr. F,

Do not be afraid, I'll be driving something at your statuer, HONDA!

C

ps. See ya at the track! :cool:

20. yosmiley

Matt, on topic here: http://cars.ign.com/articles/425/425658p1.html

Goodyear Wins With Eagle F1 Tire
    Goodyear's first "world tire" has racked up a couple wins with a leading tire mail-order service.

June 24, 2003 - Distributor Tire Rack listed the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 radial atop its Max Performance tire survey, with customers rating the tire on its traction, cornering stability, steering response, ride comfort and willingness to buy again.

Eagle F1 scored a 9.4 out of 10 points in the repurchase category. No other tire scored more than 8.6. Tire Rack customers said they had traveled 335,032 miles on Goodyear's newest ultra-performance tire.

Tire Rack officials also rated Goodyear's tire highly in a separate competition against Bridgestone and Michelin tires. Although competitive on dry pavement, neither tire could match the lap times of the Eagle F1 GS D3 on a wet track, Tire Rack experts said.

Bob Toth, Goodyear marketing manager for auto tires, said Eagle F1's ultra-performance showing "delivers a halo effect on the entire Goodyear Eagle tire lineup. Customers' positive feelings for Eagle F1 definitely trickle down to Eagle F1 Supercar, Eagle F1 GS, Eagle HP Ultra Plus, Eagle RS-A, Eagle LS and Eagle GT II tires."

Eagle F1 GS D3 tires were introduced in Europe a year before becoming available in the United States; today, the tires are manufactured on both continents. The tire features OneTred design for maximum response and virtual rib technology for maximum wet traction, Toth added.

Mounted on 2001 Lexus IS300 sports sedans, Eagle F1 got Tire Rack's attention on wet pavement. "Eagle F1 GS D3 tires provided predictable handling and enough grip to run the fastest average lap times of the three tires in the test, confirming that the Eagle F1 GS D3 is the most competitive Goodyear tire we've tested to date and that it earned its Max Performance category position," Tire Rack officials said.

Toth said Tire Rack's findings mirror Eagle F1's performance in German and British automotive magazines. They, too, noticed the difference in tire brands.

21. yosmiley

Matt... here's another one by Jordan... who posted this on: http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/73026.phtml

Based on the fact that you hve snow up to 9 months of the year, and enjoy spirited driving in the summer, I highly recommend two sets of wheels/tires.

I would put snow tires on the 16" wheels, and get 17" or 18" wheels for summer.

For snow tires, I recommend Nokian WR in V rating. They do well on snow and ice, without giving up as much in the dry as many other options. If you live in a remote area with little to no plowing, and/or lots of glare ice, take a look at the Nokian Hakka 2 (with or without studs) or the Nokian RSi.

For summer tire, you mentioned quiet. That brings three tires to my mind.

The first is the Falken St115 which is only $92 per tire for 235/45/17 and $121 for 235/40/18 from edgeracing.com

The second is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. $159 each for 235/45/17 and $191 for 235/40/18 from Tirerack.

The third option that comes to mind is the Dunlop SP9000. $158 each for 235/45/17 and $171 each for 235/40/18 from Tire Rack.

I run separate winter and summer tires here in MN, and would have it no other way. Tires are always a compromise, and with all seasons, you can't really get the best of anything. It's a jack of all trades, and master of none. You can get all seasons that have great summer performance, but those will have not so good winter performance (but will still be better than a summer tire in the winter) Those would be the Pilot SPort A/S, Continental ContiExtreme contact, Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires and the like.

I would just watch the weather forecasts, and swap your winter wheels on when either snow is predicted, or daily high no longer goes above 45 degrees. I switch my own in my garage.. which is nice since it's free (well, I bought a jack), and if we get a surprise snow storm, I can just change them before I go to work. I usually just change when the weather gets cold, and drive a few weeks before we even get a snow. With the NOkian WRs, it's not too big of a deal since they don't have scary dry road performance like many other winter tires. :)

Good luck!

22. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Matt,

Upon further thought on your driving style, I think the optimal tire for you is the Falken Azenis RS (http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/667). It is pretty close to R compound, there's lots of rubber that touches the road, and it's priced nicely. ($109 each from edgeracing.com for 225/45/17) I think it's important for you to have a lower priced tire because I'm guessing you use them up quick. The only downside of the RS might be that the heavy rain performance might not be as good as others, due to it having more rubber touching the road hence less hydroplanin resistance.

Just my wandering thoughts. :-D

-Jordan

23. bikerboy

Thanks to everyone for their input. I made a descision to see if I could get the new Goodyear tire. Unfortuniately they are on backorder, LOL.

So I went with my second choice:

Bf goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

Should be ready to go in the next couple of days

24. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Matt.. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them! The tread pattern is mean :-D

25. bikerboy

They will be tought tested }:)

26. yosmiley

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Thanks to everyone for their input. I made a descision to see if I could get the new Goodyear tire. Unfortuniately they are on backorder, LOL.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Matt, I'm assuming it's this tire (Eagle F1 GS-D3) that's on back order?

27. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mushashi

OB1 and the rest of the crew your all in luck, I have a friend from MAC who is also the President of MAC who gets just about any tires from Tirerack.com at cost, except for the new tires that just come out. The only catch besides the normal frieght charge is you have to pay him to mount and balance them, but have no fear it only costs $10.00 a tire, valve stems and disposal fee's. If anyone is interested let me know, I have asked him before and he said everyone in Motorsports is Welcome to make a purchase!

Enjoy!

C :cool:

Hook a brother up!!! How long does this take? I've had 2 flats in the past week (good thing I have a parts car!). They are 185/80/R13 but I'm thinking of going to 185/90/R13. Don't need anything fancy, just cheapo tires. Anything would be great!

-Chux

28. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Thanks to everyone for their input. I made a descision to see if I could get the new Goodyear tire. Unfortuniately they are on backorder, LOL.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Matt, I'm assuming it's this tire (Eagle F1 GS-D3) that's on back order?

Yes

29. bikerboy

[​IMG]

30. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

May I ask why you chose the KDW over the KD? I have heard nothing but rave reviews on the KD (although that hasn't been too many). The only limiting factor was price. I would like to hear your deciding factors... Thanks.

31. bikerboy

first choice3 was the new goodyear but it is on back order

The BFG kdw is the same tire as the kd just a different tread pattern

32. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The BFG kdw is the same tire as the kd just a different tread pattern<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep, a "water friendly" tread. ...I thought these were primarily track oriented, hence the question.

33. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chin

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The BFG kdw is the same tire as the kd just a different tread pattern<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep, a "water friendly" tread. ...I thought these were primarily track oriented, hence the question.

Yes they are track tires there are two KDW tires with different treads these are the more agressive pattern with more contact than the kd or kdw1

34. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Ah, I see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.