New wheels!

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Talonted, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

Got some new wheels they are 5x100 17x9 +35mm offset rpf1's and had some nitto nt05 255/40-17 put on them (these things are SUPER STICKY!) the rims them selfs are only 16lbs! i have 6mm spacers up front to clear brembos but need another 2 atleast(its cutting it pretty close) so ill be trading with a friend when he gets back in town for is 8mm spacers. other than that im SUPER excited to try some autox this year and have fun with my car! 1091858_10152598600736917_81854695_n.jpg 1891252_10152598601386917_309441267_n.jpg 10014535_10152598600981917_340930132_n.jpg

AndyBoyee and Juks like this.
  2. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

They look great. Don't know if I would be riding on them this early though.

Ctracey218 and T_riggidy like this.
  3. Talonted

I just took it out to take some pictures of them, the car doesn't get driven in the winter. =)

fancyfootwork15 likes this.
  4. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't drive an awd car in the winter either ;)

5. Talonted

Thats the joy of it being MY car =) i can drive it when i do or don't want to. its a clean rustless STi with only 78k miles on it, only been driven in snow once. So for me.. No I wont drive it in the winter.

back on topic, this is how close the wheels come to the calipers with the 6mm spacers
    (I'm aware I'm missing a lug nut, the threads got messed up from some cheap lug nuts.. I have a die to fix them, just haven't yet.)

Attached Files:

02_Rexxxy likes this.
  6. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

Wow that is close. When you decide you don't want those wheels I will take them off your hands. I'll make you a deal, free? Thanks.

I think it's cool you have a summer only STI. Looks great.

T_riggidy and Talonted like this.
  7. twiztid_rs

twiztid_rs Well-Known Member

very nice set up. nice choice on going with tires that suit the 9" wheel.

8. Talonted

Thanks I love the setup, my old wheels were 18x9.5s with 235s... bit of a stretch lol. But the 255s fit the 9" wheel perfect imo. Pictures just don't do it justice the wheels look really good on the car

9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Very nice, and a good wheel setup for autox. Now get that thing to a usable ride height (for autox) and get out to some events!

Nhibbs likes this.
  10. Talonted

It's 100% usable as is, fenders are rolled and pulled to the extreme for the old wheels. These ones fit no prob, I thought I would have to pull the fronts some more because of the 35mm offset and then the 6mm spacers(29mm offset total) But I guess I was mistaken, I don't forsee these rubbing. I do however need to get an alignment.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Usable, yes. Optimal for autox, most likely not ;)

One important piece is to have a low center of gravity, but also a lot of "bump" travel on the strut. When you lower the car excessively, you remove strut travel. Excessive lowering can also mess up the suspension geometry because the control arms are way too low.

Shane (@Shane86) may chime in as he has more expensive with adjusting coilovers. My coilovers came with some well-tested preset specs from RCE, so I haven't messed with mine much.

At the end of the day, it depends on what is more important to you (form vs. function) and how much you want to mess with it. To each their own :)

Nhibbs likes this.
  12. 02_Rexxxy

02_Rexxxy Active Member

Agree 100%. My STI has 52k miles on it with no rust and never seen snow except for recently when I took it out a few weeks ago (getting too anxious to drive it). Other than that I drive a beater civic with meaty snow tires on it for the winter. No sense in rusting out a clean car even if its awd.

13. Talonted

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't plan on being super competitive autoxing, I'm mostly draging the car maybe dctc a couple times. We'll see how much I enjoy it.

14. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

15. Talonted

Again I don't plan on being super competitive in autoxing, don't even know if ill do it once I get my spec b long gears my 3076r with long gears might end up being abit laggy.. we'll see if I really think I'll benefit from raising the car I will but I'm enjoying the car the way it is. like I said I'm mostly dragging the car, cut 1.5-1.6 60fts last year at proving grounds. I get plenty of straight line traction, enough so to break rear axles.

16. eterenity11

eterenity11 Well-Known Member

I know this Car..... Look slow....^^^^^

17. Talonted

very slow