Next upgrade suggestion/advice

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Mnelson, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

I'm torn on what I want to do next and thought I'd get someone's opinion.

Current: 13 sti hatch with invidia catless down, spt cat back, and GS bcs.

Goal: not trying to put numbers up. Just want a reliable daily with reasonable upgrades. Don't really plan to track, but might. In it for the tuning experience.

I have been thinking about doing e85, and have the money for it, but have been on the fence about placing the order. If I do get the kit, I'll end up ordering the iag aos at the same time.

If I did go e85, I'll have to consider the tvg and air pump delete. I would prefer ordering new TVGs so I'm not hacking my old ones up. This would push my budget further than I am comfortable with, which is why I think I might keep the TVGs and air pumps in.

I'll also end up tuning the car myself, as I have with the 93 tune I'm running now. I understand there's a level of risk with this and the sti is my daily but I'm confident I'll figure it out and have a backup if necessary.

So... It's between all of that (sti upgrades) or putting money into my 68 mustang which is far from perfect. I'm normally pretty financially responsible so I'd naturally rather save the money than spend it, but I've really wanted to take tuning to the next level step with e85.

Looking for suggestions on the next step. Anything is appreciated, especially humor. :p

Tlrd: save money, order e85/aos, tvg/air pump delete?, mustang (burnout machine), other?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Who are you trying to convince? Is it not reliable now?
    I vote for tune it till it burns to the ground and put the insurance money towards the mustang ;)

Mnelson likes this.
  3. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

If you aren't trying to put up numbers then I'd say save your money. E85 is a great way to put up numbers in a relatively cheaper manner. Otherwise tgv deletes are a good way to go. In terms of reliability, you get less reliable with each mod.

Mnelson likes this.
  4. Mnelson

Haha. Not out to convince anyone but myself that I can do anything I put my mind to. Its as reliable now as a turbo subaru ever can be. Regular maintenance and reasonable driving habits with the occasional "racecar" moments should keep it fun and healthy...

The aos makes sense given its purpose. E85 isn't a necessity but I like the benefits and its environmental impact (as well as I understand it).

I was thinking about buying another wrx, yanking some parts off, and up selling it on Craigslist to fund my mustang project, but the insurance claim sounds just as reasonable.

5. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

TGV and air pump deletes aren't prerequisites to running e85, nor is an AOS. Although the AOS would be nice to have regardless of what you do. Air pump delete doesn't gain you anything except for room in the engine bay really. Air pump block off plates are only $30-50

I'd say the next step is: Fuel pump, injectors, e85, tune.

readymix likes this.
  6. Mnelson

Right.. I figured when in Rome, weight Reduction. If I was in there and it was apart, then I might as well pull the pumps... But is it worth the struggle? *I don't really have a valid point here.

Oh but if I kept the air pumps, I could let the relay fail and burn the car down. Then I can claim the insurance money as suggested above :p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I completely agree, if you're in there...might as well do it. But if budget is the limiting factor, you can skip those things for the time being.

8. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I would get the AOS regardless, just for the engine protection factor. If you want to wait a month or so I'll be going E85 and can let you know what my thoughts are after. Although everything I've researched gives raving reviews.

9. Mnelson

Update. Some people flip a quarter but I tipped a pint. Went drinking with my car friend and impulse bought the kit after some convincing.

Got it all installed this week and have everything running pretty well. Thank you beer, and you all for helping me make up my mind. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention. I went with the kit and iag aos, but kept the tgv and air pump. There was less to tune with those left in and I'm almost positive they help on e85 startup. I'm at e66 this morning and the car started perfectly around 40°.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017