No more XT.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by drac77, Mar 28, 2018.

1. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

No XT, no care. Then again, wasn't looking to replace the XT I have anyway.

3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Current XT owners rejoice...you're resale value suddenly just went up!

JuStaWRX, MNcrew952, sneefy and 3 others like this.
  4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'm ok with this even more now. lol

5. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I am not a fan of the looks.

6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I am no longer a fan of Subaru in general. Makes me sad. Sure Subaru, go chase Toyota and Honda...be prepared to have your ass handed to you.

Nhibbs and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  7. MNcrew952

MNcrew952 Member

The front of these look awful and took a step back. I also cant figure out why they would make it any bigger considering they have the Outback and the Ascent just debuted.

The biggest pressing issue though: will WRX wagon return?

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I like that subaru is addressing some common concerns re: modern styling and keeping up with tech. Unfortunately, it looks like it's at the expense of the one (well one out of two if you count modular design) main reason I was attracted to the brand in the first place. But I'm also realistic in acknowledging that enthusiasts make up a very small market share. So in that sense, it's not too surprising and it's just another disappointment that will further remove me from buying anything new from their line-up. I guess we'll see if they neuter their other top seller.

JuStaWRX and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

More than likely they will listen and during a midcycle refresh bring turbo back. Manual transmission more than likely not. After all they just need an automatic transmission to implement their safety tech a la WRX currently. Just my .02

10. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Turbo Foz with a manual? Considering it's been a decade since they offered one, my money's on not.

11. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

Those of you deciding to drift away from Subaru moving forward, what manufacturer would you turn to for a rock solid affordable AWD sedan, wagon, or SUV?

I have yet to own an XT, but still enjoy my 08 2.5x Fozzy. My next will hopefully be a used '15-'18 XT when the time comes. Meanwhile, I'm interested in this Ascent as an eventual Tribeca replacement for my wife.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Most of us have 4runners.

tehfuzz, Jerf and tangledupinblu like this.
  13. pillboy

Wanting to get back into an AWD sedan, I've been mulling it over regarding things I want (an engine with a little more soul than a 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder, full LED exterior lighting, and physical buttons for as many functions as possible rather than touchscreen) and don't want (CVT, auto stop/start, expensive maintenance - read "German"), and have come to the conclusion that I have to move to a more exclusive neighborhood. Being older and fortunate enough to be financially able to, I had narrowed my list to Acura TLX A-Spec, Ford Fusion Sport, Genesis G70 Sport, Infiniti Q50 3.0t Sport, Lexus IS350 F-Sport, and Kia Stinger GT. Wife has a Ford Escape and I can't give those phuckers any more of my hard-earned money, can't see getting a $40k-plus car serviced at a Kia dealer, Lexus = ugly, and the Acura is a little boring with some features I don't care for. That leaves two standing. waiting right now for the Genesis to break cover so I can make a head-to-head, in-person comparison.

I was really fortunate to have the '05 Legacy GT for 10 years. Subaru is trying to become another Toyota, and they are doing a great job....boring cars.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds like you better just get a 4Runner and scrap the whole sedan idea. As the years pass, you’ll thank me when you climb in and out of it instead of crawling in and out of a sedan. $.02

Just ask old man Sheen and old man Shorten!

pillboy likes this.
  15. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

For what reasons? (Curious)
    Glad I'm not the only one with issues like these. Haha.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  16. pillboy

I will make a conscious effort to evaluate this and anticipate the future. For you young guys, don't take your youth for granted...it goes quickly.

17. pillboy

Headlights - your ability to see $h!t at night goes down markedly as you get old and I'm hoping the latest in lighting technology helps.

The rest of the lights - read enough horror stories of people having to remove bumper covers, batteries, fender liners, transmissions, etc, to replace fog light bulbs, marker lights, license plate lights, etc.

18. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that makes sense. As long as they last, at least. I think about that sometimes in the opposite way. If and when the LED's die you pretty much have to replace the entire assembly, right?

Also, any experience with HID headlights? I've always wanted em but they'll probably be a thing of the past by the time I can afford them. Haha.

19. tangledupinblu

Lol! Also, they bright(HID’s).
    0A063790-E469-4BBF-9355-773FB73D0860.jpeg

20. tangledupinblu

I’m not a big fan of the wheels on the Forester, but I don’t mind the rest of it.(with the exception of no turbo). I think that it should have gotten the same new 2.4L turbo that the Ascent is getting.

21. pillboy

The Legacy had halogen projector lights and they were OK, but ate bulbs like crazy. Our 2013 Escape has HIDs and they are a big improvement, but I found it interesting on an Escape forum that someone had the shutters in their HIDs freeze and the whole assembly needed to be replaced ($2400 for parts only) - I was unaware of the whole shutter deal in HIDs, but maybe not all designs use them. I'm not sure if this becomes an issue as the light age. I have a friend with a 2005 Acura TL with factory HIDs that is having intermittent issues with one bulb igniting - was going to be expensive to replace (and car has some other issues too), so he traded it for a new TLX a week ago - it has LEDs and he loves them.

I have no idea about what happen when an LED element fails - whole light assembly, or can the individual emitters be replaced?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  22. EricS

EricS Nooberator

I really love them on my Saabaru. One of the nicest (optional) upgrades they included. They make low beams actually useful.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  23. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

How about a CPO'ed German car? That would open up lots of great options. I've always liked every German car that I've driven, but haven't owned one due to the same fears as yourself...maintenance. If you have the budget to get a new CPO one though, I'd say check it out. The CPO's ones are usually past the initial big depreciation hit. Unless you want the car for 10 years...then that's a tougher sell since the warranty will run out.

24. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Aside from a CPO Audi S car or leasing one, I would also recommend the Jaguar XE which drives really nice and the Giulia has some options as well without having to go to the Quadrifoglio. The only problem is the resale value on these makes you want to cry. Something that never is a problem with the manufacturer that this forum is about. As far as the Stinger, KIA was stupid in not starting a spin off high end badge a la Infiniti, Lexus etc..

25. pillboy

I usually keep cars longer than their warranty period. I also don't care for the notoriety that a Benz or Bimmer carries. Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of people think "r**h f**k" when they see that three pointed grille emblem as big as a pizza pan - I don't hang with the hoity-toity crowd nor with the track rats. I'm also not looking for a track day car (AMG or M), but want something with a little more sporting pretensions than just their run-of-the-mill sedan.

26. pillboy

The resale sucks on everything when you approach the 50k mark. The Jag and the Alfa are a little too out of the mainstream for me. Kia has some other expensive cars, Cadenza and K900, that they sell about 5 per year of - I agree, stupid to not spin off.

27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea, I used to be concerned about that hoity toity image, but at the end of the day, who cares? You don't normally talk to people you see on the road, and the people that already know you, should know you for who you are.

Many of the run of the mill BMW's have options for M parts, without going to the full M line. There is also the M235i, which is a great sports coupe for a decent price. I still hear ya though on reliability concerns after warranty period...that one is tough to justify.

28. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

29. pillboy

I am trying to justify the Red Sport version as this will probably be the last time I will have the opportunity / desire to get something with 400 HP of fun. I have yet to read anything complimentary about their Direct Adaptive Steering however. I think the Q50 is probably one of the best looking 4-door sedans currently available , including the similarly priced Germans. I have also read a lot of negativity regarding the infotainment system in this generation of the car, but if I can live with a 2013 vintage Ford system without cursing too many times in one day, the Infiniti one is probably OK for me.