November photo contest coming in 1 week!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by sneefy, Oct 25, 2016.

1. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hello all! I was recently appointed a Subaru Ambassador! What this means for you is I have Subaru-branded stuff to give away. Yay!

This is a teaser to get you prepared to enter a photo contest. There will be TBD Subaru-branded cool and nifty prizes for the top TWO winners.

The winners will be decided by a point-based system! A separate thread with a poll will decide any tie-breakers.

See rules in Post 19!

DO NOT POST PHOTOS IN THIS THREAD. I will ask Mods to summarily delete them. The contest will be in a new thread on the first of November.

I'm hoping to 'level the playing field' a little with the point system because I know we have some very talented and even professional photographers on this board. The point system should mean that the winner doesn't simply go to the prettiest photo or to the person with the most expensive equipment. Anybody has the opportunity!

Looking forward to it! If you have questions or if I was unclear, please ask away.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

sneefy likes this.
  3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

What prize don't you already have at this point? ...or can get?

sneefy likes this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Must. Win. Contest.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a lot of lurking at Mall of America.

6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

@TC Lgt i know someone with the same exact model...

TC Lgt likes this.
  7. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I may make an executive decision and disallow malls as 'landmarks'. Purely because I hate the place and malls in general. I admit my biases, lol.

Chux likes this.
  8. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Could you be more specific on the same model and generation criteria? Are '02-03, '04-05, and '06-07 going to be considered separate from each other? For example, if I got a photo of my Bugeye WRX with a Hawkeye WRX STI would that count? Since there are quite a few variations among the GD models it might help to have some clarification before a fight breaks out over the results.

9. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I would guess that since they're different generations, they'd probably be considered different generations.

10. pleiades

I'm pretty sure they're all considered 2nd gen Imprezas only differentiated by design changes/facelifts so they are technically the same generation, but I'm not the one running the contest so obviously it's not my call.

11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Good question! I like questions and am happy to clarify.

You both have good points. Derp is correct that facelifts are usually considered sub-generations or model refreshes. Yes, Pleiades is also correct that it's the same 'parent' generation in that the chassis is the same.

For the purposes of this contest they will be considered separate.

See rules in post 19!

12. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Color is kind of prohibitive for folks that have rarer cars.

13. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

True and I do understand and sympathize with the plight of the rare car owner in reaching the six point mark.

My intent was to not make it easy to reach the maximum.

I MIGHT see if I can come up with a way to allocate a discretionary point as long as it can be done equitably. But, as it stands right now, those are the rules. (subject to change)

14. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'm thinking my chances of finding a Turbo Brat, silver XT6 with gray fenders/hood/bumper or gold Outback with black fenders/hood is going to be low:p

I'll see what I can do with the others, though. In all seriousness, it sounds fair enough to me.

15. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Assume base color. If you have mismatched panels, they'll be ignored. I'm guessing this will not be a common problem. :p

Chux likes this.
  16. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Multiple points for that...point? Must be same model, extra for color, year, etc?

17. pleiades

Thanks for clearing up the criteria. As mentioned, this will obviously make things more difficult for a lot of us but sounds like a fun challenge.

18. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hmm. That's a thought. I'm all for leveling the playing field and giving everyone the opportunity to win based on effort, not whether they have an easily found car. I'll think about that! Good suggestion.

derp likes this.
  19. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Ok! After pondering it, number 4 will now be up to 4 points possible for getting as close as you can to the exact same car you have:

Updated and ridiculously complex rules are now as follows. There will be NO FURTHER CHANGES:

The one thing you MUST do to enter is post ONLY ONE photo of YOUR Subaru and ONE other Subaru that you do NOT own. Your photo must include: Your Subaru, and another Subaru that belongs to somebody else.

This will earn you one point in the contest!

Entries will be allotted extra points for the following additional options.

1. 1 point if both YOU and the owner of the 'other' Subaru are in the photo.
    2. 1 point if you have something in the photo that proves it was taken in Nov. 2016. Be creative!
    3. 1 point if the 'other' Subaru has a license plate from out of state. (or at least a different state than yours)
    4. Up to 4 possible points for getting as close as you can to the exact same model you have. One point EACH for the following criteria and can be gained independently:

4.a Same Model including sub-model. Carefully read the lengthy explanation below!
    Model (Forester, Impreza, Legacy) and sub-model (sedan, coupe, wagon, WRX, Outback, STI, Outback Sport, N/A, turbo, etc.) must be the same. To get this point, it must match the EXACT model and sub-model but can be a different generation! Separate 'generational' point below! Derp, for example, would have to find another Legacy turbo wagon that is NOT an Outback but could be an older Legacy 2.2T wagon. A blobeye STI next to a hawkeye STI WILL count. A 1999 N/A Forester next to a 2017 N/A Forester WILL count. Minor differences in trim (base, premium, limited) or transmission (5spd, 4eat, cvt) are irrelevant. The turbo, wagon, or number of doors is considered more than just 'trim' and must match.
    4.b Same Color. Must be the same paint code! Examples: Blue Ridge Pearl next to Rally Blue Pearl will NOT count. Black Diamond Pearl next to Java Black Pearl will NOT count. A Quartz Blue Forester next to a Quartz Blue Crosstrek WILL count.
    4.c Same Generation (both chassis changes and facelifts count. bugeye, blobeye, hawkeye, etc. Derp, again for example, would have to find another 2005-era Legacy in any model. Could be sedan, turbo, Outback, whatever)
    4.d Same model year. (self explanatory)
    REMEMBER ALL POINTS UNDER NUMBER 4 CAN BE SCORED SEPARATELY AND INDEPENDENTLY.
    5. If you are in front of a landmark of reasonable HISTORICAL significance. Use your best judgement. (e.g. monstrous shopping malls will not count.)

So, you can get up to NINE points for your photo.

When you post your photo in the competition thread, you will be asked to numerically list all met criteria with explanation if needed.

DO NOT POST PHOTOS IN THIS THREAD. I will ask Mods to summarily delete them. The contest will be in a new thread on the first of November.

One more point: You'll have the entire month of November to post your photo. I understand and encourage that some might want to coordinate with others to score max points! That takes time, so you'll have it plenty of it!

*edited for clarification and minor changes.* Thanks to Derp for using his car as an example!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    derp, Chux and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  20. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

If those absurdly complicated rules are unclear, please ask questions!

Remember, this contest is super easy to enter, but difficult to score maximum points!

21. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Lol

sneefy likes this.
  22. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Love it.

@TC Lgt Let's go get a couple points, same year make model submodel but different color car guy!

TC Lgt and sneefy like this.
  23. TC Lgt

TC Lgt Well-Known Member

Count me in!

sneefy likes this.
  24. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

Im down. Any wrb wagons who are also dm me.

25. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Mall lurking may be be out, but there gotta be someone here with mad Photochop skillz.

26. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

lol. NO PHOTOCHOPS!

I'll be able to tell from the pixels and from seeing quite a few 'shops in my time.

27. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I call bull****! Lol

sneefy likes this.
  28. derp

derp Well-Known Member

NO L337 H4XX0RZ

sneefy and Deathly like this.
  29. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Contest thread gets posted tomorrow!