November photo contest NOW OPEN!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by sneefy, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hello all! I was recently appointed a Subaru Ambassador! What this means for you is I have Subaru-branded stuff to give away.

Time for a photo contest!

There will be TBD Subaru-branded cool and nifty prizes for the top TWO winners.

The winners will be decided by a point-based system! A separate thread with a poll will decide any tie-breakers.

I'm hoping to 'level the playing field' a little with the point system because I know we have some very talented and even professional photographers on this board. The point system should mean that the winner doesn't simply go to the prettiest photo or to the person with the most expensive equipment. Anybody has the opportunity!

You'll have the entire month of November to post your photo. I understand and encourage that some might want to coordinate with others to score max points! That takes time, so you'll have plenty of it!

Ridiculously complex rules! Please read carefully:

The one thing you MUST do to enter is post ONLY ONE photo of YOUR Subaru and ONE other Subaru that you do NOT own. Your photo must include: Your Subaru, and another Subaru that belongs to somebody else. You are NOT required to be in the photo.

This will earn you one point and entry into the contest! Super easy.

Entries will be allotted EXTRA points for the following additional options.

1. 1 point if both YOU and the owner of the 'other' Subaru are in the photo.

2. 1 point if you have something in the photo that proves it was taken in Nov. 2016. Be creative!

3. 1 point if the 'other' Subaru has a license plate from a different state than yours.

4. Up to 4 possible points for getting as close as you can to the exact same model you have. One point EACH for the following criteria and each point can be gained independently, but ONLY in comparison to a single other vehicle (edited):

4.a Same Model including sub-model. Carefully read the lengthy explanation below!
    Model (Forester, Impreza, Legacy) and sub-model (sedan, coupe, wagon, WRX, Outback, STI, Outback Sport, N/A, turbo, etc.) must be the same. To get this point, it must match the EXACT model and sub-model but can be a different generation! Separate 'generational' point below! Derp, for example, would have to find another Legacy turbo wagon that is NOT an Outback but could be an older Legacy 2.2T wagon. A blobeye STI next to a hawkeye STI WILL count. A 1999 N/A Forester next to a 2017 N/A Forester WILL count. Minor differences in trim (base, premium, limited) or transmission (5spd, 4eat, cvt) are irrelevant. The turbo, wagon, or number of doors is considered more than just 'trim' and must match.

4.b Same Color. Must be the same paint code! Examples: Blue Ridge Pearl next to Rally Blue Pearl will NOT count. Black Diamond Pearl next to Java Black Pearl will NOT count. A Quartz Blue Forester next to a Quartz Blue Crosstrek WILL count.

4.c Same Generation (both chassis changes and facelifts count. bugeye, blobeye, hawkeye, etc. Derp, again for example, would have to find another 2005-era Legacy in any model. Could be sedan, turbo, Outback, whatever)

4.d Same model year. (self explanatory)

REMEMBER ALL POINTS UNDER NUMBER 4 CAN BE SCORED SEPARATELY AND INDEPENDENTLY.

5. If you are in front of a landmark of reasonable HISTORICAL significance. Use your best judgement. (e.g. monstrous and hideous shopping malls will not count.)

If your photo qualifies for any extra points listed above, please LIST HOW THE PHOTO MEETS EACH CRITERIA numerically according to the list above.

So, you can get up to NINE TOTAL POINTS for your photo.

It begins! This photo contest is now officially open! Have fun and feel free to ask questions!

See first teaser thread for reference here.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Chux and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  2. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

As a teaser for prizes, there will be at least one, (if not more) of the following:
    A collapsible emergency Subaru snow shovel (for helping dig out Hondas stuck in the snow, obviously)
    A metal 'reserved parking for Subarus only' sign (super dorky and awesome!)
    A Subaru cowbell (more cowbell!)
    ...and other fun items!

First place will also get a special surprise item from my private collection of Subaru-branded stuff. This item I've had for over 10 years and is still New In Box! You will not see another one like it, I promise.

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

4. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Bump for visibility.

5. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Nice photo of some Subaru camaraderie! Please be so kind as to list which point criteria it qualifies for as stated in the rules above! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Election day bump!

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

@JuStaWRX and I met up today to take some photos to enter for the contest. Here is our contest entry:

[​IMG]

Scoring:

The one thing you MUST do to enter is post ONLY ONE photo of YOUR Subaru and ONE other Subaru that you do NOT own. Your photo must include: Your Subaru, and another Subaru that belongs to somebody else.

1 point

Entries will be allotted EXTRA points for the following additional options.

1. 1 point if both YOU and the owner of the 'other' Subaru are in the photo. 1 point

2. 1 point if you have something in the photo that proves it was taken in Nov. 2016. Be creative! 1 point: We are both holding cans of Surly Abrasive, which is only released in November.

3. 1 point if the 'other' Subaru has a license plate from a different state than yours. 0 points

4. Up to 4 possible points for getting as close as you can to the exact same model you have. One point EACH for the following criteria and each point can be gained independently:

4.a Same Model including sub-model. 1 point: Both are Forester XT's.

4.b Same Color. Must be the same paint code! Examples: Blue Ridge Pearl next to Rally Blue Pearl will NOT count. Black Diamond Pearl next to Java Black Pearl will NOT count. A Quartz Blue Forester next to a Quartz Blue Crosstrek WILL count.
    Argh, 0 points! I have to be honest here, even though they are both white, mine is "Crystal White Peal" and Julian's is "Satin White Pearl." We also both have our paint codes in our signature lines so it makes the difference obvious :(

4.c Same Generation (both chassis changes and facelifts count. 1 point: both are 2014-2017 generation of the Forester.

4.d Same model year. (self explanatory) Boo, 0 points. Mine is 2016, Julian's is 2014.

5. If you are in front of a landmark of reasonable HISTORICAL significance. 1 point: The photo was taken at Fort Snelling State Park...the sign even says, "historic"! More info:
    "Built in the early 1820s, Historic Fort Snelling is a great place to learn about military history from before the Civil War through World War II, fur trade history, slavery in Minnesota, the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 and much more. Its location — at the junction of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers — has been significant for centuries to many American Indian communities."
    Source:
    http://www.historicfortsnelling.org/

Total points: 6 points out of 9 possible!

How about some bonus points for:
    1. Same tires, including size: Blizzak WS80's, 225/60-17
    2. Same ceramic front window tint, 35%, from Chris @FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint
    3. Same Yakima 6-Ski carrier
    4. We both have black wheels
    5. We both have hitches
    6. We both have plastidip'ed grilles

And how about some bonus photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS, nice work on the photos Julian!

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^very nice gentlemen!

Also, your honesty is admirable! ;)

JuStaWRX, TMF and sneefy like this.
  10. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT entry into the contest!

Great photos and perfect explanation of how you qualify for each point. Thank you for your integrity as well!

Seriously, yours is a model for what others should do! Thank you for setting such a fine example. I wish I could give you bonus points for your accessories, but alas, that's a murky road to traverse, fraught with peril.

Your post does bring up a good point which I had not considered. So many possible things to cover!

Future entries:

If you are pictured with another MNSubaru member, just post up the other member's username(s) and you will each be entered at the point total you qualify for.

So, for the example set above, TMF and JuSta will each earn their 6 points and be in the running. If they end up with a first and second place tie, then first would go to the person who actually posts their combined entry in this thread.

Alternately, they can get together and arm wrestle for first place.

JuStaWRX, tangledupinblu and TMF like this.
  11. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

:( car is in storage since Oct.

12. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Halfway through the month bump! That went fast...

13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Subaru.
    In storage.
    For the winter.
    Haha.

ocie, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

No kidding. What does he drive in the winter? A Miata?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  15. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I keep mine garaged in the winter too...:(
    I bought mine from down south though, so it's gone 15 years without seeing salt and the undercarriage is still pristine so I'd like to keep it that way.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  16. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

003.JPG 070.JPG
    Total points: 4 out of 9

Extra points: 2 other Subarus and their owners are in the photo

17. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Sorry, no extra points! Thanks for checking off what your photo qualifies for! Nice group photo.

18. derp

derp Well-Known Member

1. 1 point if both YOU and the owner of the 'other' Subaru are in the photo.

1. Myself, @TC Lgt, and his lady Kristen are in the photo

2. 1 point if you have something in the photo that proves it was taken in Nov. 2016. Be creative!

1. We dragged snow over. It was cold.

3. 1 point if the 'other' Subaru has a license plate from a different state than yours.

0. f*ck.

4. Up to 4 possible points for getting as close as you can to the exact same model you have. One point EACH for the following criteria and each point can be gained independently:

4.a Same Model including sub-model. Carefully read the lengthy explanation below!
    Model (Forester, Impreza, Legacy) and sub-model (sedan, coupe, wagon, WRX, Outback, STI, Outback Sport, N/A, turbo, etc.) must be the same. To get this point, it must match the EXACT model and sub-model but can be a different generation! Separate 'generational' point below! Derp, for example, would have to find another Legacy turbo wagon that is NOT an Outback but could be an older Legacy 2.2T wagon. A blobeye STI next to a hawkeye STI WILL count. A 1999 N/A Forester next to a 2017 N/A Forester WILL count. Minor differences in trim (base, premium, limited) or transmission (5spd, 4eat, cvt) are irrelevant. The turbo, wagon, or number of doors is considered more than just 'trim' and must match.

1. Bruh. Yes. We have in this photo THREE, 2005, Legacy GT, 2 of which are both Wagons AND Limited.

1. Two of these are Atlantic Blue Pearl

4.c Same Generation (both chassis changes and facelifts count. bugeye, blobeye, hawkeye, etc. Derp, again for example, would have to find another 2005-era Legacy in any model. Could be sedan, turbo, Outback, whatever)

1. All same gen.

1. All same year.

5. If you are in front of a landmark of reasonable HISTORICAL significance. Use your best judgement. (e.g. monstrous and hideous shopping malls will not count.)

1. St. Paul Cathedral.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat...ional_Shrine_of_the_Apostle_Paul_(Saint_Paul)

Fun fact: I'm related to the source of most of the funding for the Cathedral.

If your photo qualifies for any extra points listed above, please LIST HOW THE PHOTO MEETS EACH CRITERIA numerically according to the list above.

Looks like 8 of 9 points. Fite me.
    [​IMG]

Bonus pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BlueSubaruGirl, pleiades, TMF and 3 others like this.
  19. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Love it! Especially the snow date stamp.

I'm going to be picky here, though and say each you have 7 of 9 points. (Yes, I see it's possible to be even more explicit about the 'same model' rules! As if I didn't already make them complicated enough...)

Spreading points among more than two cars cannot, I'm afraid, be counted. It's intended to be a comparison between YOUR car and ONE other car. No, that was not explicitly stated, but I think it was pretty well implied. Otherwise, someone could go to a meet or get a large group together and score all those points far too easily. Just line up a bunch of cars and all score max points counting similarities between multiple cars. Can't let it be that easy. ;)

I'll score the wagon point for Derp, but not the paint code point. I'll score the paint code point for TC Lgt, but not the wagon (sedan?) point. So you each get 7.

Don't fret, guys, you're still in the lead and have obviously made some effort to get there. I appreciate it! Looks great!

As stated previously, Derp's post counts for both of you guys with Derp getting first in the event you end up with a tie.

Nice work!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    TMF likes this.
  20. pleiades

A late entry from myself and @tangledupinblu. I apologize for the low light and poor image quality, but it wasn't possible for us to coordinate a daytime meeting. 2 photos are being posted (in following reply) only to help verify the points scored.

1 point if both YOU and the owner of the 'other' Subaru are in the photo.
    Both myself and tangledupinblu handsomely appear in the photo (not pictured is @idget who was kind enough to be our impromptu photographer)
    1 point

tangledupinblu wrote today's date on his trunk, plus there are Christmas decorations up on the streetlights in the background
    1 point

WI plates on mine, MN on his
    1 point

4. Up to 4 possible points for getting as close as you can to the exact same model you have. One point EACH for the following criteria and each point can be gained independently, but ONLY in comparison to a single other vehicle (edited):

Both are WRX sedans
    1 point

Fail!
    0 points

2 bugeyes present
    1 point

Both are 2002 models
    1 point

5. If you are in front of a landmark ofreasonable HISTORICAL significance. Use your best judgement. (e.g. monstrous and hideous shopping malls will not count.)
    Pictured in the background is historic Neumann's Bar. Established in 1887, it is "the oldest bar with the oldest fixtures in Minnesota." http://www.neumannsbar.com
    1 point

Total: 8 of 9 points

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    sneefy, tangledupinblu and TMF like this.
  21. pleiades

22. pleiades

23. tangledupinblu

+eleventy billion for our historic location being a bar!? Also in historic North St Paul which is also known for its History Cruise every Friday night! Ftw, because car town+beer.

Sheen and i had just reinstalled my turbo about 20 minutes before these photos were taken(the car was on jack stands for nearly 2 weeks). We pushed to get done for the photo shoot with Cole. Thanks for your patience brotha! And thanks Sheen for the help, again!!

And Cole deserves to post this for us and have the opportunity to win some swag. Easily the cleanest bugeye that I've ever seen!!

sneefy and pleiades like this.
  24. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I'll accept a 19th century bar that was able to survive since opening and even stay open during Prohibition. No extra eleventy billion, though. Sorry, lol. I'm glad you didn't choose the North St. Paul Snowman. That thing is hideous, lol.

Nice work and nice point tally! You are now in the lead! Thanks for your entry! Awesome.

Just two more days left! Last day to post is on Wednesday!

pleiades and tangledupinblu like this.
  25. tangledupinblu

Damn.

26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

BlueSubaruGirl likes this.
  27. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

28. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

What if both the owners have the same name :) ?

29. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Same first and last name? As long as the are different people, you can even have the same DNA.

30. pleiades

Identical twins with identical Subies? That would be mind-blowing to see, and a sure winner for this contest.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  31. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Just first name lol

32. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

No extra points for same name. :)

AND WE'RE DONE! The contest is now officially closed. Thanks to all who put up with my obscenely complex rules and posted a photo!

The winners are pleiades in 1st and tangledupinblu in 2nd! I'll PM you guys about your prizes!

JuStaWRX, TMF, tangledupinblu and 2 others like this.