obd2 readers and scan tools

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Zehyani, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

What do you like. I was thinking something simple that will hook up to the droid. Want something that covers toyota 09 corolla and outback 09.
    Amazon had a
    ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows for 50 including software

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android. I would then find some software from the play store.
    thanks

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

3. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

thanks

4. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Best Scan Tool for sub $1000 is the Autel MD802 for $160 or so off Amazon. No bi-directional control (but no new scan tool under $1000 has that). Buy the "all systems" one and then update it and you also get service interval light resets, rear parking brake retract, and a few other things not advertised. Those features aren't too useful on a Subaru, but never know when it will be.... This is probably the most comprehensive scanner available that is accessible for a DIY or small shop.

The best scan software (not a tool, software) is Autoenginuity. It is bi-driectional, but you need to use your PC to use it. It's $250 for the basic scanning software (works for basic systems for all makes) and $150 for the Subaru expansion pack that will scan and display/control data from several systems unique to Subaru (or that need a unique way to communicate with the software). You do not have to buy both at the same time and can buy expansion packs for other makes too at a later date. But, again, you need a windows laptop to be able to use this, so that may immediately exclude it.

5. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

thanks. I was looking for a cheap product for now. I will take a look at the ELM27 controllers