Off a tooth.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Buddy's sube, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Buddy's sube

Buddy's sube Active Member

2009 sti. Car was running rough before I changed out the timing belt. I also replaced air pump valve under the intake. The plugs have never been changed and it at 90000. So I figured it was just bad plugs and began my tear down and change them in the process. Well I put it all back together and still runs like ****. Checked fault code. Misfire cylinder 1. So I swapped coil 3 and 1 then reset computer. Check engine light back on. Check code. Misfire cylinder one. F@&k. Can being off a one tooth cause a misfire on just on cylinder? I’m thinking not. But I really don’t know. I’m going to do a compression test after it’s cooled off. But don’t want to start getting into injectors if it could possibly be that I’m off a tooth. Like I said was missing before I did this job, but I can’t remember if it’s running the same or worse.

2. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

If compression and leakdown is good I’d swap the injector to 3 and see if it follows.

Have you checked/ do you know for sure that it’s off a tooth? It would definitely cause misfire/lack power if timing is off.

3. Buddy's sube

I do not know it’s off a tooth. Just trying to rule it out. I really don’t think it is.

4. Buddy's sube

No compression. Pulling motor this weekend.

5. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

In all holes? Hot damn. I'll have a drink for you tonight.

pinjasaur likes this.
  7. Buddy's sube

It’s not my car. It’s my buddies. I ditched my turbo car years ago. Super fun, just always a headache. I just get roped into this because I know how to read and watch YouTube. Thanks for the help guys. I’m sure I will have a few more questions. I did this job on a single over head 2.2 a few years ago. Hoping it’s similar.

joebush44 likes this.
  8. SaggyWagon

SaggyWagon Well-Known Member

Read + Youtube + trial/error = What makes a Subaru a Subaru!

minnesotanice likes this.
  9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I felt this. :)

10. Buddy's sube

Pulled the motor. Timing is spot on. Cylinder leak down test shows fried exhaust valves. From what I’ve been reading I’m thinking it was caused by the bad air pump Valve! Also the motor would not separate from the trans. It took like 9 hours and 2 days to separate. I found online to use a torch on the dowel alignment pins. I was not comfortable doing this at all. I just started slowly hammering and stacking a ton of putty knives in the seams. That worked after many hours.

Anyway when I did this in a 2.2 I was able to leave all the vacuum lines to the intake in place along with the intake loosely sitting on top of the block. Just pulling the intake bolts. Can I do this on the 2009 sti? Also are the head bolts torque to yield?

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Did you remove the clutch fork pivot pin? This is a commonly missed step on the pull-style clutches. Forcing it can damage the pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch fork.

You're likely going to want to get the intake manifold out of the way. Removing DOHC heads is a much bigger project than 2.2.

Subaru head bolts are reusable unless damaged.

12. Buddy's sube

Yes ever bolt was removed and the pin. It definitely felt like there was something still holding it together. But there wasn’t. The guide pins were very corroded. I found several posts that this happened to others. All used heat to free the motor. This is my car do that scared me. Using putty knives like little tiny wedges was the key. Bigger chisel would not do it. Or at least how comfortable I was whacking them any harder.

Ya I figured I would need to pull the manifold.

13. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

In the past members have used large meat cleavers as wedges to separate the motor and trans.

Buddy's sube likes this.
  14. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I was thinking the title of this thread pretty much describes this whole forum.