Off-road lights opinions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pleiades, Dec 22, 2016.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the "recent purchase" thread, I'm planning to replace the off-road lights on my Pilot with an LED setup. Looking to get some suggestions on decent lights and also opinions on whether I should go with a single 22" bar or separate square/rectangle lights (I could go either way).

2016-12-22 08.45.09.jpg

2. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Depends on what you want them to do. For me, I like to have the ability to light up the sides of the road when I'm driving at night in the middle of nowhere in deer country. Two smaller lights would be better for that because you can angle them outwards.

But what about mounting one 22" two-row bar up top aimed straight out and two 6" single-row below, aimed outwards and lower. Best of both worlds!

I've been too busy/lazy to mount the 52" curved bar on my truck. Or the two 6" on the WRX. Or the 22" that would drop perfectly into the grill space on the Z...

3. pleiades

I live out in the country, so being able to light up the ditches would be helpful. Suppose I'll likely end up going with a pair of lights for that reason. As far as the roof-mounted light bar, I have thought of that but I don't know if I want to drill into the roof panel. I kind of like the setup this guy did with the light mounted on a roof basket but I'm still debating on the light style/design.
    Pilotbeasty.jpg

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I wasn't suggesting roof mounted. Just a bar on the top of the bumper guard cross piece where the existing lights are, and then two smaller lights mounted to the bottom of the same bar.

Roof mounted lights serve a purpose, but generally it's a wide saw the of light at low speeds, and they're terrible in any kind of fog, rain or snow.

Chux likes this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

If you do decided to go roof mounted, make sure they're mounted low enough and far enough back so they don't light up the windshield or the hood, as that will glare back at you badly.

Rigid industries is sort of the go-to high quality one. But they're spendy.
    Ditto with GTRLighting
    If you want something really awesome, regardless of cost, the VisionX Light Cannons are amazing.

I've been watching AuxBeam products for awhile, and they seem like a good compromise of decent quality and price (almost as cheap as the super cheap no-name stuff you'll find on amazon and ebay). I just put a pair of 18W flood lights of theirs on my lawn tractor for snow blowing, and I'm very impressed. Time will tell how they hold up, though.

6. pleiades

Thanks for all the info, guys. I think what I'll end up going with is a pair of 7" flood-beam lights in place of the ones I have now and probably a 36" flood/spot combo bar up top whenever I get around to installing a cargo rack. Now I just need to find a brand that's a good balance between price and quality (Auxbeam seems decent so I might go with them).

7. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

I went with blackoak led 2 x 6 combo 3watt. plenty of lumens. 5watt would be better though. they has some nice products in my research.

8. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I'm of the opinion that 90% of this stuff comes from the same factory in China, and that 80% of it is assembled there too, and is identical (including some of the "high-end" products).
    10% gets assembled with more care elsewhere (better sealed, better positioning of the optics).
    10% actually is made and assembled by others, and this is the stuff that's really $$$

Given that, I'm inclined to most of the time go with the cheapest option, as there's little guarantee that more money will buy anything different. AuxBeam seems to sell the same products as everyone else for the most part (though they do show some that are not the typical run of the mill lights), and their prices seem not out-of-line.

9. pleiades

After comparing designs on at least the majority of products available on eBay, I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't seem as though there's much difference in them aside from a small percentage of the higher-end lights.

10. DIRTY D

Ip69k standards is what I was looking for in my review.

11. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Umm.... That pilot is badass.

pleiades likes this.
  12. pleiades

If you're talking about mine then thanks, I appreciate it. If you're talking the matte black one then yes, I agree. That's the direction I'm trying to go with mine. Probably won't get to take it off road very often but still pretty cool I think (as cool as a Honda SUV can be, anyway).

13. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

This one!!
    IMG_4693.JPG

pleiades likes this.
  14. DIRTY D

Batteries not included

tangledupinblu likes this.