official: ken block to wrc in a ford

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by carl, Jan 5, 2010.

1. carl

carl Well-Known Member

2. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

watch WRC mexico for a crashed/rolled ford instead of subaru..

is he still competing in Rally America events as well?

3. ortho004

ortho004 Well-Known Member

It says he will be driving a Ford Fiesta in Rally America. Who will be driving for Subaru in Rally America then? Pastrana and Mirra?

4. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I just don't feel like block is WRC material. At least he will be dragging Ford's name through the dirt

5. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

he will do a fine job finishing in the top 12-15 and maybe sneak into the top 8-10 by way of attrition and maybe set a few top 10 stage times.

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Good for him. Whether we like it or not he's good at self promotion and that's key in today's competitive environment. I wonder though how long his wife will let him do it if he's has a few bad crashes 5000+ miles away from home

7. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Meh, I wonder if that means he will be doing his gymkhana crap in a focus RS? I dont think either subaru or ford would like moonlighting!

8. putz

putz Well-Known Member

Ken Block Is awesome! I think it is very unlikely that any of the cars he drives will sustain damnage!

Did they need some one to test thier roll cages?

9. Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

An American in WRC is big news! Very cool!

At worst, it can only attract more attention to WRC and we might have a chance of more/better coverage.

10. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

He still is new to Rally Racing but he does have some talent that is for sure... not sure if it is enough to compete with the Loebs and and the Mikko H. but we will see. I'm just very excited to see and American in the WRC and hope he reps us well!

I wish him nothing but good luck and tires pointing down

11. petrakov08

petrakov08 Well-Known Member

Plus on an American in the Wrc
    Minus on the amount of barrel rolls that will inevitably take place

12. putz

putz Well-Known Member

The world will laugh at us for yet another reason.:rolleyes:

let the jokes begin.... His nerves were maxed out with Rally America, how the hell will he keep it togather on the world stage?

13. carl

carl Well-Known Member

14. AWDimprezaL

I was waiting for it too.

15. Tim the Plumber

IS THERE A GYMKHANA 3?
    BLOCK: “Of course! We are in the developmental stages of a new Fiesta Gymkhana car and we are looking to have some new video content out by the summer.â€

So we have The Monster Team who else is going to be on this team? Is Ken keeping his co driver? Wasnt there talks of Christan Addison teaming with him?

16. AWDimprezaL

I dont want to see a gymkhana block-style, in a fiesta.

17. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I am reliable like that. :biggrin:

I can't resist, bashing his rally "skillz"... it is a compulsion. It's like that booger in your nose that flaps in and out, open and closed as you breath, you can't resist but to pick it and observe it on your finger or on a klenex and remark to yourself how big it is.

Good Luck to Him! Maybe he'll be Rookie of the year?

18. AWDimprezaL

harrr harrrrrrr

19. Scuba Steve

So looks like we'll see him in a few weeks at Sno*Drift....and in the Ford. That should be interesting!

20. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone in there, and I turned the volume up on the speakers, I hear nothing:dunno:

But I'm glad you had a laugh:cheers2:

Truth is he might have found his new home, But I think if you figured out the stats and did the maths....

Carl and Dave crash LESS than Ken Block on average per event raced.

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Definitely. I think his abilities are blown out of proportion, but you have to give him credit for doing what no other american has done. I am definitely excited to see WRC already getting more attention here in the US. With luck, it could gain popularity and maybe could lead to a stage here.....

Although, I do think this is exceedingly cocky, "Block, who will be racing a Focus in WRC while switching to a Fiesta in Rally America, is hoping to be "near or on the podium" by the end of 2011"

I've been watching the entry list like a hawk. and have yet to see his name (or any subaru factory teams) come up. I do hope he comes though.

22. AWDimprezaL

I just wanted to use that pic :laugh:

23. putz

putz Well-Known Member

and that was Carl and Daves 1st season:biggrin:

Next season they will have all four spinning and turbo.... I think they will do very well in open class! Things look good for them, But....

Ken block on the other hand has peaked, now he is truly out classed.

24. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I wouldn't call it cocky, really. A goal is merely something to shoot for. Make them big, and if you fall short you probably did pretty well.

25. rbuaslsliearn

rbuaslsliearn Member

ford tho:(.

26. Scuba Steve

Ford? Hell Yeah! They have a great WRC platform....

27. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

An autoxer has this as a sig line - "If you do not believe - deep down truly believe - that you can win any given race, you will do so only through divine intervention." -Carroll Smith

28. carl

carl Well-Known Member

the factory guys and other top driver's don't register till close to the deadline so we'll see who will be there for sno*drift in a few weeks

29. Scuba Steve

THEN DO YOU MIND EXPLAINING WHY WE REGISTERED WEEKS AGO?:mad:

:laugh:

:naughty:Damn i cant wait to feel the power of the turboz while we fly down a stage sliding all over the place. Rally = biggest rush evar!!!!:banana:

30. putz

putz Well-Known Member

BTW, best of luck to you guys!

31. ceci96

ceci96 Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/15/report-ken-block-heading-to-wrc-with-new-monster-ford-team/

Congrats to Block on his step-up.
    I'm sure it's all business...NOT personal as most enthusiasts would take it.
    I'm a big fan of Ken and for the same token, seeing him accomplish his long awaited dream...makes me more of a follower.
    Him on a Subaru or Ford...or WHATEVER chance puts him on, still a great driver and can't wait to see him compete...put those skills to the test.
    Those little hatches from Ford ain't too bad either!
    It's just too bad that they don't make the WRC version (or similar) available for the public!?

32. carl

carl Well-Known Member

early entry fee! the other guys apparently have more money :(

33. carl

carl Well-Known Member

my biggest interest is how much ford will be involved in US rally and if they're going to field a multiple car team this year. competition for subaru is good!

34. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

you know what. I totally didn't read it that way. the quote from the usatoday does make it sound more like a goal than an expectation.

definitely. I'm not typically a ford fan, but I'm excited to see some rally-prepped fiesta's in person! who knows, maybe it'll be enough to get some more interesting fords (Focus RS....) over here.

35. carl

carl Well-Known Member

yea if you read that section of ken's interview I posted earlier you can see he's being pretty realistic about it.

I'm hoping Ford's involvement will also increase media exposure for rally in the USA.

36. putz

putz Well-Known Member

This is a big deal for the sport in the USA. Ken Block has been the rally ambasitor to the Brotato world, and he allready has brough alot more attention to the sport, and now with the publicity he brings to all he does.... he might steal fans from nascar-..... Thats a good thing.:laugh:

37. AWDimprezaL

What in the sht is a brotato?

38. putz

putz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

dude that says bro/wears flatbil DC ball caps/ and stuff. Trendy slim jean wearing, cocked cap wearing, trendy trendy bro-dawg-tastic type guy.

39. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

I was not aware there was a term for those guys... I usually just use "toolbox"

40. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I might be spending too much time on nasioc off topic.....

41. ceci96

ceci96 Member

Quoting Ken Blocks interview:

"Since I was a little kid watching motor sports on TV, the rally racing of cars sliding on dirt and jumping was always more exciting to me than most American motorsports on TV," Block says. "Rally was what I gravitated toward, and as I got older, I wanted to mimic that driving style."

Awesome! I really believe this guy does love the sport!! And this is what I like about him!

But........(and I know I'll get crap for this, but just for the matter of discussion)

The jump will complete a fast ride for Block, who has been racing Rally America only since 2005.......

I suppose this is what urks me about this dude. For those that have been following this sport for awhile now, will know, that even in America there's been drivers who have committed their lives ( or at least the better part of them) to this sport, that I will say can easily match or surpass Blocks skill level. The guy truly only has less then 4 real years of upper level competition experience. I will risk it to say, and I'm sure he would admit it himself, he is not the best option to represent North American drivers out there.

He just happens to be the most marketable by Monster. But, I suppose this is the nature of the beast with professional motorsports. I suppose I sort of feel like as far as deserving the shot he sort of "cut in line". But, that being said, there is nobody who loves this sport that would turn down this shot! And I wish him the best of luck, and I will be watching!!

42. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

talent/skills versus marketablity makes for a very interesting graph.

43. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

Block is a rally entertainer with a profitable motive of marketing his clothing line....which i became big fun of. I love creative people that know how to hit 2 birds with one stone.

44. Tim the Plumber

ceci you bring up a very good point, it really isnt fair he gets to jump to WRC after only 4 years of Rally America. I mean look how he got into Rally America he just jump right in after taking a couple class at Team O neil school. But life isnt fair...

Also on a side note if I got to choose who i would want to rep America in WRC I'd have to pick Pastarana, Foust , or siegler.... not in that order ;)

45. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I 2nd this. It's like getting passed up for a promotion by some less qualified, but schmooozes better....

Pastrana in 2012!!!!!:laugh: