Offroad spots? Miminum Miatainace Roads?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by morganm, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morganm

morganm New Member

So where do yall go to get your Subaru's dirty? Over the last 3 years id say about 80% of my old spots have been dozed over :(

I noticed Chux mentioned one minimum maitanace road NW of the cities. How about some stuff closer to the cities? I'm up for anything! Min. Maintanace roads, old logging roads, access trails, old rock quarries, etc. just as long as I dont have to drive 2 hours to get there!

Guess I'll start with my spots that are left :)

Ulands is fun; lots of access trails between fields and a few minimum maitanace roads. Kinda sketchy tho; some places are posted off limits and others arent so keep your eyes open!

There is a small trail off Concord in Inver Grove Heights/West Saint paul. Exit 494 @ Concord (just before the river bridge) Take a right on Concord. Take a left after the Dairy Queen (there is a gun range down here also) Soon as you cross the tracks take a hard right and onto the dirt trail. Stick nexto the rail road tracks on the trail (dont stray off to the left and into the gun range!) There are some very easy trails back here; I've taken a stock 2WD Legacy wagon back there a lot with no issues.

A few trails in Eagan. Go down HWY 13 at Silver Bell Rd and take a right. There is still some undeveloped land in that area. Trails are prolly over grown now that it's spring so look hard :)

Where do you go?

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Mine are all out west, seems that the further you go, the better they get. Lots of gravel parking lots near my house that get real soft when it rains, that one min. maintenence road (Lake Rebecca Rd. just west of County roads 11 & 92) and a place out in watertown I just found out about today, I don't have any idea where it was though, I was just following the leader, I'll post the exact location when I know it, or Martin can if he knows.

3. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Guys, I don't mean to sound conservative but don't you get problems with paint chips from kicked up gravel and dirt caking in the wheel wells? :???:

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call those problems! More like minor side effects! :eek:)

5. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Carlos Avery Wildlife Refuge is where I get out to occasionally.

Wherever you go just make sure to keep it safe. Just because the roads aren't paved doesn't mean you're the only one using them.

As for rocks and dirt just take a look at my car. I've been tormenting that car with rough roads and gravel for 3 years now. Sure there are paint chips but nothing noticeable. If I still have the car on the road in 3 years maybe I'll repaint the whole thing. Otherwise the dirt and nicks give it character. My front bumper has a lot of "character" for example :D

6. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

:I :mrgreen: :?:

7. android

android Guest

I'm fortunate enough to have a cabin NW of Superior, WI. There are tons of logging/forrestry roads up there, not to mention some great tarmac roads following various rivers. The hills aren't bad either. There is the problem of pedestrians, but I have been concocting a plan to temporarily and illegally close off stretches of road for untimed hot runs. The best time to do this is either in the spring or fall when all the tourists are gone. The one problem I have is that some of these roads have pretty big rocks imbedded in the surface and they will surely break rims and pop tires. I have been able to miss them when driving spirited, but if I were to go all in, wreckage could ensue. I need some junker 15 or 16 inchers with some meaty tires.
    I will say that if you go near Lake Nebagamon (where my cabin is) --> Hwy 53 to county B heading past Nebagamon and toward Brule and take a right on Hilltop Rd., you will see what I mean. Big air, a couple very nice and beautiful S-turns, couple great straights, loose sandy areas, packed clay areas, etc. A pretty wide variety of surfaces.
    If you can catch one of the logging roads when none of the lumber-jacks are about, they are pretty **** exciting too. Considering the fact that they are destroying the beautiful scenery and the State is letting them, I don't feel bad about tearing up their roads.
    Remember, safety first and it would probably be wise to bring along a helmet, apair of 2-way radios and cell phones.

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

:D now I really can't wait to head off to Duluth for College next fall!!!!

9. RallyNavvie

Or you could just build the car up and enter a ClubRally with it. Please don't mention the SCCA or rally if you get caught doing that

10. morganm

morganm New Member

Yeah there's plenty of stuff to offroad; if you are willing to drive hours to get there :( Was hoping for some stuff more in the 7 county metro area.

If I'm gonna drive an hour to offroad I might as well go back to Roy's Offroad Park :) He's got a sweet setup out south of Northfield. Went there twice this weekend. Got some great footage and got stuck GOOD once lol

Peace

11. android

android Guest

"...what do you mean officer? I am a paying member of SCCA. I'm just testing this stretch of road for a potential stage for one of our rallies..."

Just because I like to drive my car fast on a deserted dirt road doesn't mean I'm a complete moron. Who would think that by pretending to be associated with a legitimate organization that you would somehow be excused for blatently breaking the law? Certainly not me. That's like telling someone not to say they're associated with Nascar they get caught doing 100+ on the freeway in their redneck-mobile.

The SCCA is not going to get disbanded because people are breaking the law. Neither is NHRA or any other sanctioned racing organization. Boxing won't become illegal because people get in fights.

Let's remember that even professional racing car drivers make mistakes and sometimes die. This tells me that they drive beyond their limits. They just do it legally. I never was one to obey the law anyhow, but I will at least take responsibility for my actions when they catch up to me. If I was blatently disregarding the safety of others, I would not have mentioned blocking off the stretch of road. I have run across people driving their 4-wheelers on the aforementioned road and guess what....They were driving fast too!

12. RallyNavvie

There have been troubles in the area where local rallies are held where people have used exactly that line and it does cause some flak with the State letting the SCCA use their roads for sanctioned events. Granted some of those are probably pissed off locals who are just jealous they can't compete and pin it on the sanctioned organizers to try and spoil the party.

Just keep it safe. I go to Carlos Avery and drive within the limits when I'm there. Unfortunately this close to the Cities the COs and deputies that patrol the area know that most aren't used to driving on gravel and will ticket you for speeding. Then there are places up north where almost everything is gravel and they're used to locals moving pretty quick and will let it slide.

Otherwise there are rallycrosses once a month in the summer. Check out the local SCCA website for dates:
    http://www.scca-lol.org/

13. morganm

morganm New Member

Okay back on topic here; who cares about ON road :)

OFFroad pls k thx !_!

14. android

android Guest

Ok, I don't want to come across like a careless prick so I'll say that I completely agree with you that it would be a mistake to disregard the impact we have on things we enjoy. If I make any impact, I want it to be a positive one.

What I think we need, something that other states have been successful in supporting (on both public and private levels), is the opening of offroad parks. Nevada and Arizona have these enormous offroad parks that welcome vehicles of every type. Here we have the occasional 4-wheeler park or private trials course (for Jeeps and such), but no wide open offroad parks. I'm not sure what it would take to open such a park, but it sure would be nice.

I guess it gets kind of tricky when visibility is hindered the way it is in the forrest. Most of these offroad parks that I'm talking about are out in the desert and you can see for miles. MN and WI need to dedicate more recreation money to non-redneck (hunting/fishing/canoeing) activities. We have alot of people interested in motorsports, so now we need some support for our style of recreation.

Someone get on this. Write our State Representatives and Senators.

15. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by android

Ok, I don't want to come across like a careless prick so I'll say that I completely agree with you that it would be a mistake to disregard the impact we have on things we enjoy. If I make any impact, I want it to be a positive one.

What I think we need, something that other states have been successful in supporting (on both public and private levels), is the opening of offroad parks. Nevada and Arizona have these enormous offroad parks that welcome vehicles of every type. Here we have the occasional 4-wheeler park or private trials course (for Jeeps and such), but no wide open offroad parks. I'm not sure what it would take to open such a park, but it sure would be nice.

I guess it gets kind of tricky when visibility is hindered the way it is in the forrest. Most of these offroad parks that I'm talking about are out in the desert and you can see for miles. MN and WI need to dedicate more recreation money to non-redneck (hunting/fishing/canoeing) activities. We have alot of people interested in motorsports, so now we need some support for our style of recreation.

Someone get on this. Write our State Representatives and Senators.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Land use is a hot topic. Here's the latest of whats going on in MN as far as offroading from the DNR's point of view:

New legislation in 2003/2004:
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ohv/index.html

Management & project plans/proposals:
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/ohv/index.html

To anyone actually interested in offroading in MN I would highly recomend reading those sections. I read over all of it and really got a pretty good perspective of where the DNR is going (or should I say not going?) in regards to offroading.

16. afmoa

afmoa Guest

Rallycross this Sunday June 20th at Corcoran Lions Park!

:eek:)Come on down if you want to get beat by a 2wd Volkswagen!:eek:)

It's real easy to get to and really safe and cheap fun for a guy in a Subaru. I went to the last one in Arkansaw, WI and even though I had the V dub and it was REALLY muddy and I brought the totally wrong tires, I still had a bunch of fun. Of the cars there OVER HALF wer Subarus!

They normally start runs at around 11:30 am. Come earlier if you are going to run your car. Street cars are allowed, but you must also bring a helmet (rated M95 or SA95 or better.) Normally it's $25 or so for SCCA members and a little more for non members.

It's a real fun safe way to see what YOU can do with your car!

17. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

and that is the reason why we like this kinda sport...ahahahah<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

Guys, I don't mean to sound conservative but don't you get problems with paint chips from kicked up gravel and dirt caking in the wheel wells? :???:

18. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by afmoa

Rallycross this Sunday June 20th at Corcoran Lions Park!

:eek:)Come on down if you want to get beat by a 2wd Volkswagen!:eek:)

It's real easy to get to and really safe and cheap fun for a guy in a Subaru. I went to the last one in Arkansaw, WI and even though I had the V dub and it was REALLY muddy and I brought the totally wrong tires, I still had a bunch of fun. Of the cars there OVER HALF wer Subarus!

They normally start runs at around 11:30 am. Come earlier if you are going to run your car. Street cars are allowed, but you must also bring a helmet (rated M95 or SA95 or better.) Normally it's $25 or so for SCCA members and a little more for non members.

It's a real fun safe way to see what YOU can do with your car!

What has this got to do with offroading or min. maintanace roads? :???:

Post a thread under the Event forum...

19. RallyNavvie

Because that's where you should be doing your "offroading"

20. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RallyNavvie

Because that's where you should be doing your "offroading"

Being on a track (read: road) kind of defeats the wholl 'off'roading aspect of offroading.

Do not confuse me with the assholes that tear up your backyard and dump old refriderators on peoples land. I offroad where I am welcome and try to keep it as legal as possible.

But seriously I think you would get a better response in the Events forum seeing how you are promoting a real event.

21. RallyNavvie

It's a rallycross. The "track" is a dirt course that they wet down after every run group. They also run them on grass fields in the winter which get pretty slippery. Not to be confused with an autocross which is run on a paved surface.

Back in the days of the gravel pit the rallycross was offered with the caution that skid plating was highly recommended. There were rocks the size of a fist getting swept onto the course. Those were the days... Now it's pretty safe to your car but still plenty fun.

22. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

RallyX is sweet, but the offroading MorganM and I are talking about is about mud, and climbing things that require the little lever between the parking brake and shifter to be raised to it's highest position (4 LO).

23. morganm

morganm New Member

Right on Chux :) A rally race would be about the silliest place to take my car. 3" of lift and 29" tires arent exactly rally racing mods. Skid plates are for things larger than fist sized rocks :p

This thread is dedicated to OFFroading; not track racing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.