Oil blow by or failing turbo?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Cotts612, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I recently installed a silicon y-pipe on my stock 2004 wrx wagon and noticed oil in the compressor outlet and y-pipe. I know that these cars have some amount of blow by, but I felt like this was a lot. I also have been hearing a whoooing noise that starts at about 2200rpms when accelerating normally. It doesn't get louder while accelerating so I cant tell if it stops at around 3500, or if I just can't hear it. It does stop when letting up on the throttle, but starts a second after stepping back on. Reeeeeally hoping it's not the turbo. Thanks in advance.

compressor outlet oil.jpg
    Y-pipe oil.jpg

2. Cotts612

Anyone have thoughts on this? Bueller?

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

The oil in the ypipe looks about normal for a car that hasn't been checked in a while. How did it look in the throttle body? You could pull the downpipe and check for oil there. That would tell you that you need to get that turbo out of there sooner rather than later.
    It's really really really hard to diagnose sounds based on a description. But yeah, it could be. Swing by stouts tomorrow and I can take a listen.

Cotts612 and Ryan FailRad like this.
  4. Cotts612

This was probably the first time that tubing had been removed in a long time. Throttle body had a very small amount of oil film, and what looked like soot build up on the lower part of the fin. As for diagnosing the sound, I understand it's hard to figure out not hearing it in person. One persons whooing noise is another persons hissing noise. I thought that maybe, just maybe someone had these symptoms with the extra blow by, if indeed it's excessive, at one time or another.

Unfortunately, I think I work a double tomorrow. I wont be punching out until around 8:30, so meeting up might not work. Thanks for the reply, and hopefully I can make it to a meet sooner than later to get a second set of ears to listen.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Depending on how loud the "whoosing" noise is, it could just be from the samco intercooler y pipe. The silicon y-pipe will generate some additional turbo noise, but you have to listen pretty hard.

How much oil are you burning? How much do you add between oil changes, and how long do you go between changes? How many miles on the car? Mods, and for how long? More info please!

6. Cotts612

Its a stock 2004 wrx wagon with 123k on it. Usually i go through a quart every 2500-3000 miles, but this time i was a quart low 1500 after the oil change. It could have been under filled i guess. I try to check the oil level right after a oil change but didn't this time. I don't notice any oil burning or smoke.

As for the noise, i am beginning to think it is the turbo. Im assuming it's the original turbo and the noise has been there for a while now. Once i start hearing it, i can let off the throttle slightly and the noise will stop. Push back on the gas a little, and the noise returns after a second, like turbo lag.

I originally thought it was a boost leak, which i guess it still could be. Turbo inlet is still the original.

I should get a second set of ears to listen to it. Online noise descriptions aren't the best. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Boost leaks can definitely make some weird noises. There are a few different places they can originate, which will also change the sound. I would start by doing a boost leak test then pulling the dp to inspect the turbo if the boost leak test doesn't clue you into anything useful.

Either way, you're potentially tempting catastrophic failure, so chop chop.

Cotts612 likes this.