Oil Filter Part number

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by clhelget, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhelget

clhelget New Member

What is the part of the OEM Filter? Better yet, what is a part number for a Amsoil replacement?

'05 STi

2. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I use Amsoil for my filter as well. It is SDF20 for the standard size and SDF36 for the extra large size. From my experience, both units fit perfectly onto the N/A EJ25 and the EJ205, but strangely the SDF36 is a tad cheaper.

3. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

15208AA080

4. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, the sdf20 and sdf36 are the same class filter, so the price should be the same ($10). The sdf20 is also about 1/2 inch longer than the standard subaru filter.

Russ

5. clhelget

clhelget New Member

And what Amsoil motor oil are you guys using???

XL-7500 or series 2000?

What weight? 0W30 or 5W30?

6. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

What so special bout these amsoil filters? I went to walmart and pick this generic brand for $2!!!:I.........im on a budget but if amsoil last longer/better please help me decide:cool:

7. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I use to use standard regular motor oil like Kendall and Castro. I'd change my car's oil at least every 3000 miles. I average about $6.00 for 4 quarts of oil and filter on an average of $12.00 for two cars, and than you end up doing oil change every 3months or so. Of course this was a year ago, and motor oil prices have changed.

Totaling $48.00 annully.
    Things to consider:
    1. How often you want to or have to change your oil. I use to change the oil out of my track car more often just because you had to, to avoid motor problems. I used to end up with monster loads of used oil in my garage because of this.

2. If you like changing your own oil, its probably not in your best interest to be doing it too often; for safety and health related issues.

3. Girls don't dig Oil smelling Motorhead monkey's.

4. The less time I have to spend under my car the more time I have to enjoy it.

Now back to Amsoil or any motor oil that will allow you to change your oil less frequently probably cost a little more but you end up with less mess and clean up. Bare in mind that thought the manufacture says one thing you should still check your oil quality and amount reguarly and change it accordingly as need be.

If you plan on using your car for track purpose a good rule of thump is you change the motor oil after every 3 events.

C

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I use the std amsoil synth (25,000 mile oil). I usually change the oil in my car twice a year, but it also sits all winter. I usually change in every spring before I take it out of storage, and sometime during the summer depending on what I am doing with it. If I was doing some track days, or some road trips I would change it a bit sooner. This summer I probably won't change it at all because I only have about 4-5000 miles on it. I do the same thing in my truck. I change it in the spring and the fall. When I change the oil, it comes out almost as clear as when it when in. Amsoil also offers a oil testing service, so you can send them a sample of your oil and they can do a chemical break down to see how it is holding up. As for the oil filter, they sdf20 filters are a little longer and have alot better filtering to them. I think amsoil claims 3-5 microns.

Russ

9. kickin_81

"std" = standard (not sexually transmitted disease) I also use their standard synthetic oils. 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

IMHO, A $2 oil filter uses the cheapest materials allowed by law. Such a low technology and quality is put into them that under hard motor use the oil filter will not do it's job and even bend the metal casing. What an oil filter is designed to do is to filter deposits through it and entering the motor. That's it! How much you want to invest in one is up to you.

10. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

"std" = standard (not sexually transmitted disease) I also use their standard synthetic oils. 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

IMHO, A $2 oil filter uses the cheapest materials allowed by law. Such a low technology and quality is put into them that under hard motor use the oil filter will not do it's job and even bend the metal casing. What an oil filter is designed to do is to filter deposits through it and entering the motor. That's it! How much you want to invest in one is up to you.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm going to go and return it then. I can use that $2 for the amsoil stuff:D....Where can I gewt amsoil oil/filter?

11. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I can get it to ya for cost plus sales tax, and if you can get it for a better price than that go for it. Just let me know what you want and I can shoot ya the prices.

Russ

12. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WRX1

I can get it to ya for cost plus sales tax, and if you can get it for a better price than that go for it. Just let me know what you want and I can shoot ya the prices.

Russ
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can I get like 5 quarts of oil and a filter. 10w-30 sounds good. doesn't matter on the filter(sdf20/sdf36) for me. I guess which ever is cheaper or as long as they fit. ballpark price?

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

a case of oil is $57 (12 quarts) and filters are $10 each, so for the 5 quarts and a filter it looks like $33.75.

Russ

14. kickin_81

I like to use the AMSoil filter because I can get it at a size increase. The larger it is, the more miles you can go on it before it needs changing. On my SDF36, I change it every 3500-4000 miles. It protrudes out closer to the ground, but it is still inches higher than the two front tow hooks.

Don't take this thread wrong, the AMSoil filter isn't the only good filter. There's some others that equal it's quality or maybe even marginally better. Genuine oil filters and Purolator Pure-One filters are also top quality.

15. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys,

Russ, can you get me the 5 quarts of oil and a SDF36. I got the Cha CHING($$) so you name time and place. I might be busy on fri night so firestone may be out of the picture. I'm not in a rush for this but the sooner the better. Thanks

Yia

16. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, I have the oil and I have sdf20 filters. I am not to sure on the sdf46 filters being the same. I would recomend against it because internal bypass my be a different pressure. If you want to get the sdf36 filters, I won't be able to pick one up till next weekend. Just let me know, I will be out of town all weekend, but I will be home all week.

Russ

17. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

I guess sdf20 can do for now. Whenever you are free or available to make the transaction just post it, We'll see if I can make it which is likely. thanks russ

yia

18. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I should be home tonight, and I will be around tomorrow afternoon for a while. Just give me a call. I don't get out of work till 4:30 so I should be home by 5:30 or so.

Russ
    651-343-2786

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.