oil pick-up cracks?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by krees23, Sep 7, 2009.

1. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I was at iwsti and nasioc and saw some threads regarding Subaru oil pick-up tubes cracking and then the engine basically grenades when the tube breaks. So now I'm fairly paranoid and want to replace things.

I saw some cool oil pans that come with pick-ups as part of the deal, the best one is the cosworth.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/cosworth-subaru-ej20-ej25-high-volume-oil-pan-p-3375.html

I think the engine would need to be lifted a few inches to put this in, anybody ever do this, if so, how expensive would the install be?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

They do happen on the 2.5L engine, but the jury is out on how often. My advice would be just to get a good oil pressure gauge if you're paranoid. I believe that most people that have had those have noticed lower oil pressure prior to the pickup tube completely failing (which would make sense with a hairline crack).

Good reading: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553337

Also, no need for a full oil pan, you should be fine with just replacing the pickup tube.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799066

3. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

Good info, thanks for the links. To replace the oil pick-up tube would be how much do you think? I have zero mechanic abilities and have learned from experience that taking it to a mechanic to do it right the first time is best.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Not sure, you'd have to get a quote from a mechanic. They do have to remove the oil pan, which requires a decent amount of work.

5. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

Wow, finally some info on this. THIS problem is exactly to the T what happened to my 06 STI. Normal driving, then occasionally the oil light would pop on then shut off. Brought it in to MM subaru and the guys there said my oil pickup had broken and every time I revved above 3500-4000 rpms my engine was basically running dry... need less to say the motor was 100% toast, luckily warranty covered a brand new motor at 0 cost to me.

It is especially scary because it was something that didn't just smack you in the face as you would expect, it sort of just crept on.

I urge you to by a better part to insure your motor

6. Ninjaplease!

Ninjaplease! Well-Known Member

I believe this was a recall on the 08 model wrx/sti. It was supposed to be fixed for the 09 but who knows.

7. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Nope, different recall. That was the oil line for the turbo.

8. Ninjaplease!

Ninjaplease! Well-Known Member

Ah yes, all I remembered that there was an issue with cracking and an oil line. Figured it was the same way.

9. john

john Well-Known Member

It's happening to legacy gt's as well. Click me.

10. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

it must take more work to get the pan off then on the 02 wrx because i found that to be pretty straight foreword.